Re: [podcasters] Podcasting in Antarctica

  • Tee Morris
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
      On Jan 2, 2007, at 9:25 AM, honor wrote:

      > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
      > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?

      Okay, I've got a question here...

      I'd love to offer up "The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy" but
      here's my only concern -- I've got a few shows that deal with the
      current events of when they were recorded. (One episode, in
      particular, was all about the James Fry Scandal which was big news at
      the time...but I didn't see it crop up at all in the "Looks Back on
      2006" that aired last week. Then again I could have been watching
      the wrong channels...) Does the timeliness of content matter to you,
      or are you looking for content that doesn't come across so dated?

      Thanks for this opportunity, and I hope to be working with you all soon!

      Enjoy the Ride,

      Tee Morris
      co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
      ----------------------------

      The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
      A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

      MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
      An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
      FORM) PODCAST

      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
      PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

        > hellow everyone,
        >
        > Happy New Year.
        >
        > Below I am including an announcement about a project I
        > have just helped start, which might be of interest to
        > you.
        >
        > My artistic group, r a d i o q u a l i a have just
        > began broadcasting a new FM radio station in
        > Antarctica.
        >
        > 'Polar Radio' is Antarctica's first ever artist-run
        > radio station.
        >
        > It transmitted its first programme on FM on 29
        > December 2006.
        >
        > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
        > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
        > broadcast on the station.
        >
        > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
        > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
        >
        > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
        > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
        > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
        > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
        > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
        > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
        >
        > Let me know what you think.
        >
        > Very best wishes
        >
        > Honor Harger
        >
        > r a d i o q u a l i a
        > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
        > http://www.radioqualia.net
        > honor@...

        =============================
        Sounds cool, and something we'd be into.

        My buddy Jay Fox (from the old DC band "United Mutation") was working
        in Antarctica as support staff for contract scientists. He showed my
        film "DIY or DIE: How to Survive as an Independent Artist"
        ( http://www.diyordie.org ) at movie night at Coffee House in McMurdo
        Station in Antarctica in 2003. I dug it because at that point, the
        film had shown in public on every continent, and I like the sound of
        that.

        Also, I figure it's a pretty captive audience, not like they can walk
        across the street and see a Bruce Willis movie at the Metroplex
        instead....

        But an air mail to South Africa is not something that's 100%
        guaranteed to get there in nine days, even if we shell out the bucks
        to do it.

        Is there any way we can deliver shows via FTP? Or by e-mailing a link?

        MWD
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
      • honor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi,

          Thank you to those who replied to the call for
          podcasts for Antarctica.

          In answer to C.C. Chapman's question about why it is
          necssary to send CDs, the answer is because the
          internet connection at the base in Antarctica is too
          slow for internet downloading. Otherwise we would
          have sent a call for material to be emailed or
          uploaded, as this would have made it much easier for
          potential contributers.
          Their connection speed is about 1K, so even email is
          very very slow. Downloading large files is not
          possible, sadly.

          If you can post a CD to Cape Town in the next couple
          of days, it should arrive in time.
          We would be really delighted if you could.
          If you label it clearly, we will make sure we
          contextualise the programme when it is aired and
          credit you fully.

          Tee Morris wrote:
          "Okay, I've got a question here...
          I'd love to offer up "The Survival Guide to Writing
          Fantasy" but
          here's my only concern -- I've got a few shows that
          deal with the
          current events of when they were recorded. (One
          episode, in
          particular, was all about the James Fry Scandal which
          was big news at
          the time...but I didn't see it crop up at all in the
          "Looks Back on
          2006" that aired last week. Then again I could have
          been watching
          the wrong channels...) Does the timeliness of content
          matter to you,
          or are you looking for content that doesn't come
          across so dated"

          It is a good question. At this point, we are not too
          worried about content which is fixed to current events
          or certain dates. For instance, a 'look back at 2006'
          would be ideal for the researchers based in
          Antarctica, in fact, as many of them have been at the
          base over the Antarctic Winter, and thus isolated from
          current events. They are hungry for news actually.

          We don't mind if the podcasts refer to certain date
          periods or news stories, and equally we would be happy
          with any podcast archives that were more 'timeless'.
          It is entirely up to you what you'd like to send.

          Thank you very much for your interest! :-)

          All the very best

          Honor Harger

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
            On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

            > But an air mail to South Africa is not something that's 100%
            > guaranteed to get there in nine days, even if we shell out the bucks
            > to do it.

            In case anyone's wondering... (*fires up postal program*)

            A 6 oz. letter-class delivery by international airmail from the U.S.
            to South Africa is $4.80. The USPS lists typical delivery times as
            4-7 days. (Now that the Christmas rush is over that's probably
            accurate -- the CDs I sent in early December were getting to the UK
            and Australia in four days according to feedback. After December 12,
            they were lucky to arrive by Christmas Eve.)

            A small flat-rate Global Priority envelope to South Africa is $5.25.
            The USPS lists typical delivery times as 4-6 days. If you can't do
            flat rate, the costs are $8.50 for a half-pound package and $12.75 for
            a pound.

            Global Express knocks a day off the delivery time, and starts at $30.
            Don't even ask about Global Express Guaranteed.

            If I were just sending one or two CDs, I'd put 'em in paper envelopes
            or slimline cases and send it Global Priority Flat Rate, in the
            cardboard envelopes you can get for free from the post office. It's
            barely more expensive than airmail, and the best mix of price and
            speed.

            Even so, I'd definitely send it out tomorrow if you can. (You can't
            send it today; the post offices are closed in remembrance of Ford.)

            And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for physical
            media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
            hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
            around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
            kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. If this sounds
            cool to you, you shouldn't begrudge paying a few bucks.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

              ........And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for
              physical
              > media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
              > hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
              > around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
              > kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. ....
              > --
              > Have Fun,
              > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
              > http://www.escapepod.org

              ================
              True dat, Stephen.

              I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If we miss the
              deadline, is there ever going to be another penguin-pulled sled to the
              radio station, or is this the last one ever?

              I sent someone a small air-mail package from Los Angeles to Australia
              around November first and it arrived around December first....That's
              what I'm concerned with.

              MWD
            • honor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                Hi Michael,

                --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
                > we miss the
                > deadline, is there ever going to be another
                > penguin-pulled sled to the
                > radio station, or is this the last one ever?

                Good point.

                We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
                boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
                Antartica running the radio station.

                With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
                updating an online diary at:
                http://www.i-tasc.org/
                (in the NOW section)

                I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
                Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
                and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
                the supply plane.

                Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
                arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
                the next transport out, whenever that is.
                I hope that helps a little bit.

                Best

                Honor

                FURTHER INFORMATION

                For data on Polar Radio, contact: r a d i o q u a l i
                Email: adam at xs4all.nl or honor at va.com.au
                http://www.radioqualia.net

                For data on I-TASC, contact: Thomas Mulcaire or Marko
                Peljhan
                Email: tm at interpolar.org or mx at
                interpolar.org
                http://www.i-tasc.org/

              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                  > > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
                  > > we miss the
                  > > deadline, is there ever going to be another
                  > > penguin-pulled sled to the
                  > > radio station, or is this the last one ever?
                  >
                  > Good point.
                  >
                  > We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
                  > boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
                  > Antartica running the radio station.
                  >
                  > With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
                  > updating an online diary at:
                  > http://www.i-tasc.org/
                  > (in the NOW section)
                  >
                  > I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
                  > Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
                  > and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
                  > the supply plane.
                  >
                  > Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
                  > arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
                  > the next transport out, whenever that is.
                  > I hope that helps a little bit.
                  >
                  > Best
                  >
                  > Honor

                  ==================
                  Cool man, thank you.
                  We'll put something together.

                  One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
                  adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
                  to hear that stuff?

                  MWD
                • Tee Morris
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                    On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:

                    > One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
                    > adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
                    > to hear that stuff?

                    I'd like to double-check that that as well. I mean, what are the
                    plans if you get content that is R-rated? Will you be bleeping out F-
                    bombs and the like?

                    Enjoy the Ride,

                    Tee Morris
                    co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
                    ----------------------------

                    The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
                    A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
                    FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

                    Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

                    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

                    MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
                    An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
                    FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
                    FORM) PODCAST

                    Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
                    PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
                  • Tony Mechin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!

                      I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not the shona language
                      shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those podcasters who
                      just want to send along one or two shows.

                      I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is the lack of
                      bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able to make three or
                      four CDs.

                      I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive contributions.
                      (First 2 gigs wins :-)

                      I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape Town by overnight
                      courier so they'll be there on the 9th.

                      And I'll have a great collection...

                      Hope that helps
                      tony

                      > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA

                      > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                      > want broadcast in Antarctica?

                      > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio plays,
                      > radio documentaries, and any phonically interesting
                      > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica first
                      > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                      > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11 January.
                      > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that supply
                      > plane.
                    • thxdave
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Okay, we're in too. I'm putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our
                        "Stuck in the 80's" podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers
                        crossed that it makes it there in time.

                        Dave Morrison
                        Producer/Engineer
                        Stuck in the 80s
                        Ante Up! Pokercast
                        www.tampabay.com

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

                        <snip>

                        > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
                        > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
                        > broadcast on the station.
                        >
                        > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
                        > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
                        >
                        > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
                        > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
                        > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
                        > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
                        > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
                        > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
                        >
                        > Let me know what you think.
                        >
                        > Very best wishes
                        >
                        > Honor Harger
                        >
                        > r a d i o q u a l i a
                        > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
                        > http://www.radioqualia.net
                        > honor@...

                        <snip>
                      • honor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Dear All,

                          Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
                          for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
                          postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.

                          Also, I have just now received some good news. A
                          friend of our has told us that he is going down to
                          Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
                          offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
                          a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
                          Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
                          postal deadline, there is another chance.

                          He has requested that all files are sent via the
                          online file delivery service YouSendIt
                          <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
                          1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

                          Instructions:
                          - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
                          - Register for a Free Account
                          - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
                          - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
                          mx@...
                          - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
                          - step 3, click send it.

                          I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
                          elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
                          technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
                          doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

                          If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
                          send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
                          (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
                          Central European Time).

                          All the best

                          Honor

                          --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

                          > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
                          >
                          > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
                          > the shona language
                          > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
                          > podcasters who
                          > just want to send along one or two shows.
                          >
                          > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
                          > the lack of
                          > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
                          > to make three or
                          > four CDs.
                          >
                          > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
                          > contributions.
                          > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
                          >
                          > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
                          > Town by overnight
                          > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
                          >
                          > And I'll have a great collection...
                          >
                          > Hope that helps
                          > tony
                          >
                          > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
                          >
                          > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                          > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
                          >
                          > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
                          > plays,
                          > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
                          > interesting
                          > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
                          > first
                          > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                          > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
                          > January.
                          > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
                          > supply
                          > > plane.

                        • chris2x
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                            I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
                            NewCastle :-)

                            Chris Christensen
                            Amateur Traveler podcast
                            http://AmateurTraveler.com