Re: [podcasters] Podcasting in Antarctica

  • Tee Morris
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
      On Jan 2, 2007, at 9:25 AM, honor wrote:

      > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
      > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?

      Rafe & Askana. Antarctica. Pardon the pun, but...

      Coooooooooooooooooooool!!!

      Enjoy the Ride,

      Tee Morris
      co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
      ----------------------------

      The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
      A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

      MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
      An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
      FORM) PODCAST

      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
      PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time

    • Tee Morris
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
        On Jan 2, 2007, at 9:25 AM, honor wrote:

        > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
        > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?

        Okay, I've got a question here...

        I'd love to offer up "The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy" but
        here's my only concern -- I've got a few shows that deal with the
        current events of when they were recorded. (One episode, in
        particular, was all about the James Fry Scandal which was big news at
        the time...but I didn't see it crop up at all in the "Looks Back on
        2006" that aired last week. Then again I could have been watching
        the wrong channels...) Does the timeliness of content matter to you,
        or are you looking for content that doesn't come across so dated?

        Thanks for this opportunity, and I hope to be working with you all soon!

        Enjoy the Ride,

        Tee Morris
        co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
        ----------------------------

        The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
        A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
        FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

        Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

        -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

        MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
        An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
        FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
        FORM) PODCAST

        Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
        PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

          > hellow everyone,
          >
          > Happy New Year.
          >
          > Below I am including an announcement about a project I
          > have just helped start, which might be of interest to
          > you.
          >
          > My artistic group, r a d i o q u a l i a have just
          > began broadcasting a new FM radio station in
          > Antarctica.
          >
          > 'Polar Radio' is Antarctica's first ever artist-run
          > radio station.
          >
          > It transmitted its first programme on FM on 29
          > December 2006.
          >
          > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
          > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
          > broadcast on the station.
          >
          > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
          > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
          >
          > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
          > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
          > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
          > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
          > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
          > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
          >
          > Let me know what you think.
          >
          > Very best wishes
          >
          > Honor Harger
          >
          > r a d i o q u a l i a
          > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
          > http://www.radioqualia.net
          > honor@...

          =============================
          Sounds cool, and something we'd be into.

          My buddy Jay Fox (from the old DC band "United Mutation") was working
          in Antarctica as support staff for contract scientists. He showed my
          film "DIY or DIE: How to Survive as an Independent Artist"
          ( http://www.diyordie.org ) at movie night at Coffee House in McMurdo
          Station in Antarctica in 2003. I dug it because at that point, the
          film had shown in public on every continent, and I like the sound of
          that.

          Also, I figure it's a pretty captive audience, not like they can walk
          across the street and see a Bruce Willis movie at the Metroplex
          instead....

          But an air mail to South Africa is not something that's 100%
          guaranteed to get there in nine days, even if we shell out the bucks
          to do it.

          Is there any way we can deliver shows via FTP? Or by e-mailing a link?

          MWD
          http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        • honor
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
            Hi,

            Thank you to those who replied to the call for
            podcasts for Antarctica.

            In answer to C.C. Chapman's question about why it is
            necssary to send CDs, the answer is because the
            internet connection at the base in Antarctica is too
            slow for internet downloading. Otherwise we would
            have sent a call for material to be emailed or
            uploaded, as this would have made it much easier for
            potential contributers.
            Their connection speed is about 1K, so even email is
            very very slow. Downloading large files is not
            possible, sadly.

            If you can post a CD to Cape Town in the next couple
            of days, it should arrive in time.
            We would be really delighted if you could.
            If you label it clearly, we will make sure we
            contextualise the programme when it is aired and
            credit you fully.

            Tee Morris wrote:
            "Okay, I've got a question here...
            I'd love to offer up "The Survival Guide to Writing
            Fantasy" but
            here's my only concern -- I've got a few shows that
            deal with the
            current events of when they were recorded. (One
            episode, in
            particular, was all about the James Fry Scandal which
            was big news at
            the time...but I didn't see it crop up at all in the
            "Looks Back on
            2006" that aired last week. Then again I could have
            been watching
            the wrong channels...) Does the timeliness of content
            matter to you,
            or are you looking for content that doesn't come
            across so dated"

            It is a good question. At this point, we are not too
            worried about content which is fixed to current events
            or certain dates. For instance, a 'look back at 2006'
            would be ideal for the researchers based in
            Antarctica, in fact, as many of them have been at the
            base over the Antarctic Winter, and thus isolated from
            current events. They are hungry for news actually.

            We don't mind if the podcasts refer to certain date
            periods or news stories, and equally we would be happy
            with any podcast archives that were more 'timeless'.
            It is entirely up to you what you'd like to send.

            Thank you very much for your interest! :-)

            All the very best

            Honor Harger

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
              On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

              > But an air mail to South Africa is not something that's 100%
              > guaranteed to get there in nine days, even if we shell out the bucks
              > to do it.

              In case anyone's wondering... (*fires up postal program*)

              A 6 oz. letter-class delivery by international airmail from the U.S.
              to South Africa is $4.80. The USPS lists typical delivery times as
              4-7 days. (Now that the Christmas rush is over that's probably
              accurate -- the CDs I sent in early December were getting to the UK
              and Australia in four days according to feedback. After December 12,
              they were lucky to arrive by Christmas Eve.)

              A small flat-rate Global Priority envelope to South Africa is $5.25.
              The USPS lists typical delivery times as 4-6 days. If you can't do
              flat rate, the costs are $8.50 for a half-pound package and $12.75 for
              a pound.

              Global Express knocks a day off the delivery time, and starts at $30.
              Don't even ask about Global Express Guaranteed.

              If I were just sending one or two CDs, I'd put 'em in paper envelopes
              or slimline cases and send it Global Priority Flat Rate, in the
              cardboard envelopes you can get for free from the post office. It's
              barely more expensive than airmail, and the best mix of price and
              speed.

              Even so, I'd definitely send it out tomorrow if you can. (You can't
              send it today; the post offices are closed in remembrance of Ford.)

              And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for physical
              media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
              hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
              around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
              kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. If this sounds
              cool to you, you shouldn't begrudge paying a few bucks.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Michael W. Dean
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                > On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                ........And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for
                physical
                > media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
                > hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
                > around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
                > kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. ....
                > --
                > Have Fun,
                > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                > http://www.escapepod.org

                ================
                True dat, Stephen.

                I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If we miss the
                deadline, is there ever going to be another penguin-pulled sled to the
                radio station, or is this the last one ever?

                I sent someone a small air-mail package from Los Angeles to Australia
                around November first and it arrived around December first....That's
                what I'm concerned with.

                MWD
              • honor
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Hi Michael,

                  --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                  > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
                  > we miss the
                  > deadline, is there ever going to be another
                  > penguin-pulled sled to the
                  > radio station, or is this the last one ever?

                  Good point.

                  We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
                  boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
                  Antartica running the radio station.

                  With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
                  updating an online diary at:
                  http://www.i-tasc.org/
                  (in the NOW section)

                  I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
                  Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
                  and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
                  the supply plane.

                  Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
                  arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
                  the next transport out, whenever that is.
                  I hope that helps a little bit.

                  Best

                  Honor

                  FURTHER INFORMATION

                  For data on Polar Radio, contact: r a d i o q u a l i
                  Email: adam at xs4all.nl or honor at va.com.au
                  http://www.radioqualia.net

                  For data on I-TASC, contact: Thomas Mulcaire or Marko
                  Peljhan
                  Email: tm at interpolar.org or mx at
                  interpolar.org
                  http://www.i-tasc.org/

                • Michael W. Dean
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Michael,
                    >
                    > --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                    > > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
                    > > we miss the
                    > > deadline, is there ever going to be another
                    > > penguin-pulled sled to the
                    > > radio station, or is this the last one ever?
                    >
                    > Good point.
                    >
                    > We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
                    > boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
                    > Antartica running the radio station.
                    >
                    > With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
                    > updating an online diary at:
                    > http://www.i-tasc.org/
                    > (in the NOW section)
                    >
                    > I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
                    > Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
                    > and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
                    > the supply plane.
                    >
                    > Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
                    > arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
                    > the next transport out, whenever that is.
                    > I hope that helps a little bit.
                    >
                    > Best
                    >
                    > Honor

                    ==================
                    Cool man, thank you.
                    We'll put something together.

                    One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
                    adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
                    to hear that stuff?

                    MWD
                  • Tee Morris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                      On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:

                      > One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
                      > adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
                      > to hear that stuff?

                      I'd like to double-check that that as well. I mean, what are the
                      plans if you get content that is R-rated? Will you be bleeping out F-
                      bombs and the like?

                      Enjoy the Ride,

                      Tee Morris
                      co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
                      ----------------------------

                      The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
                      A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
                      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

                      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

                      -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

                      MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
                      An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
                      FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
                      FORM) PODCAST

                      Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
                      PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
                    • Tony Mechin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!

                        I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not the shona language
                        shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those podcasters who
                        just want to send along one or two shows.

                        I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is the lack of
                        bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able to make three or
                        four CDs.

                        I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive contributions.
                        (First 2 gigs wins :-)

                        I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape Town by overnight
                        courier so they'll be there on the 9th.

                        And I'll have a great collection...

                        Hope that helps
                        tony

                        > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA

                        > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                        > want broadcast in Antarctica?

                        > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio plays,
                        > radio documentaries, and any phonically interesting
                        > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica first
                        > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                        > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11 January.
                        > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that supply
                        > plane.
                      • thxdave
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Okay, we're in too. I'm putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our
                          "Stuck in the 80's" podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers
                          crossed that it makes it there in time.

                          Dave Morrison
                          Producer/Engineer
                          Stuck in the 80s
                          Ante Up! Pokercast
                          www.tampabay.com

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

                          <snip>

                          > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
                          > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
                          > broadcast on the station.
                          >
                          > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
                          > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
                          >
                          > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
                          > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
                          > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
                          > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
                          > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
                          > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
                          >
                          > Let me know what you think.
                          >
                          > Very best wishes
                          >
                          > Honor Harger
                          >
                          > r a d i o q u a l i a
                          > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
                          > http://www.radioqualia.net
                          > honor@...

                          <snip>
                        • honor
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Dear All,

                            Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
                            for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
                            postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.

                            Also, I have just now received some good news. A
                            friend of our has told us that he is going down to
                            Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
                            offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
                            a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
                            Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
                            postal deadline, there is another chance.

                            He has requested that all files are sent via the
                            online file delivery service YouSendIt
                            <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
                            1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

                            Instructions:
                            - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
                            - Register for a Free Account
                            - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
                            - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
                            mx@...
                            - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
                            - step 3, click send it.

                            I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
                            elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
                            technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
                            doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

                            If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
                            send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
                            (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
                            Central European Time).

                            All the best

                            Honor

                            --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

                            > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
                            >
                            > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
                            > the shona language
                            > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
                            > podcasters who
                            > just want to send along one or two shows.
                            >
                            > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
                            > the lack of
                            > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
                            > to make three or
                            > four CDs.
                            >
                            > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
                            > contributions.
                            > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
                            >
                            > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
                            > Town by overnight
                            > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
                            >
                            > And I'll have a great collection...
                            >
                            > Hope that helps
                            > tony
                            >
                            > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
                            >
                            > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                            > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
                            >
                            > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
                            > plays,
                            > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
                            > interesting
                            > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
                            > first
                            > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                            > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
                            > January.
                            > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
                            > supply
                            > > plane.

                          • chris2x
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                              I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
                              NewCastle :-)

                              Chris Christensen
                              Amateur Traveler podcast
                              http://AmateurTraveler.com