Skype Conference Echo

  • Mitch Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
      Has anyone run into this? Here is what happened:

      1. Had Pamela Systems for Skype 3.x running (I don't think it's the
      source of the problem, but mentioning for completeness).

      2. I called the host of my podcast (Skype-to-Skype). I'm on the
      North Shore of Massachusetts, he's on Cape Cod, so not that far
      away. I could hear him with no problem. We're both on cable /
      broadband.

      3. Then I conferenced in the guest of our program, who was also on
      Skype, but far away - based in Rome, Italy.

      All of a sudden, whenever our host on Cape Cod would speak, there'd
      be a very distinct echo of his voice that all parties could hear.
      But everyone could hear the person in Italy just fine. As soon as
      the interview was done and the person in Italy dropped out of the
      conference, the echo from the host on the Cape went away.

      Does anyone know where the problem lies? Does distance have anything
      to do with it? Is there a work around?

      Thanks,

      Mitch Allen
      http://www.rockosphere.com
      http://www.rockoftheday.com

      P.S. Happy New Year to all!
    • Steve from Extra Points
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
        How was the person in Italy hearing everyone else? If he was
        listening through his speakers, then the sound from the host on the
        Cape could be coming out of his speakers and repeating through his
        mic, hence the echo. Whenever I've had echo on Skype, it's
        typically been because someone wasn't using headphones to listen.
        It would also be more pronounced because the data has to travel
        farther, so the delay would be a bit longer.

        That'd be my guess.

        -Steve
        http://www.extra-points.com
        http://www.wickedgoodpodcast.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Allen" <yahoo2@...> wrote:
        > All of a sudden, whenever our host on Cape Cod would speak,
        there'd
        > be a very distinct echo of his voice that all parties could hear.
        > But everyone could hear the person in Italy just fine. As soon as
        > the interview was done and the person in Italy dropped out of the
        > conference, the echo from the host on the Cape went away.
        >
        > Does anyone know where the problem lies? Does distance have
        anything
        > to do with it? Is there a work around?
      • Joe Burgess
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
          It was probably the person in Rome's mic/headphone combo. Ask him to
          move the mic further away from his headphones or speakers
          --Joe