Re: [podcasters] Mixer & Processor vs. Audio Interface

  • J Wynia
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 29, 2006
      Paul Puri wrote:

      > This would work, but you risk the computer not being robust enough to run
      > more recent software.
      >
      > But it would solve the noise problem. But may cause another.

      It's possible that it wouldn't run the higher end editing software, but
      there's no reason it couldn't be used for just recording. I'm often
      amazed at how people (not necessarily you, Paul) will act like a machine
      that is actually the fastest thing available when XP or OSX was released
      is now "too slow" to run it. Given how you can pick up a bare 700Mhz
      laptop with 256+ RAM for about $150, you could slap Linux and Audacity
      on it and nothing else and consider it just a raw recorder that you pull
      the audio off of to another machine for editing. At $150, you're well
      within the range of other dedicated equipment in the podcasting
      toolchain. People certainly don't expect their mixer to do more than its
      basic job.

      I actually do something similar. My "main" laptop has some circuit in it
      that causes interference no matter what mix of mixers/cables, etc. that
      I use. If I try to record even with nothing connected, I get static.
      But, my old laptop works just fine. So, I do my recording on that and
      the editing on the newer one.

      --
      J Wynia
      The Glass is Too Big