Overstock sale at BSW

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006
      Just in case anyone's looking to spend their hard-earned Christmas cash:
      http://www.bswusa.com/promo.asp?promo=70

      I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
      Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is, or whether he's full
      of it) >8-> and dbx 266XL compressor/gate. I already have an RNC
      (stands for "Really Nice Compressor") that I'm quite happy with, but
      it doesn't have a limiter and sometimes clips in my software unless I
      turn it down too low. So my plan is to use the 266XL as a cheap
      hardware limiter, and maybe get rid of the last few processing effects
      I was doing in software.

      I know that buying open box stuff is always a bit of a gamble, and if
      the stuff ships to me in banged-up shape I'll know to warn people
      against it at BSW. But they've got a good reputation, so I'll give
      them a shot to save $50 or so.

      Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks? The
      cheapest ones at the usual online places are $70, and that's too much
      IMO for a few pieces of metal or fiberboard.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006

        > I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
        > Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is, or whether he's full
        > of it) >8-> and dbx 266XL compressor/gate. I already have an RNC
        > (stands for "Really Nice Compressor") that I'm quite happy with, but
        > it doesn't have a limiter and sometimes clips in my software unless I
        > turn it down too low. So my plan is to use the 266XL as a cheap
        > hardware limiter, and maybe get rid of the last few processing effects
        > I was doing in software.

        I've used both pieces, and you won't be dissapointed. The BBE is just one of
        those things that is hard to explain. If used properly, it can add a whole
        new dynamic to your sound. And the 266, well, it is a pretty good
        compressor. And I would always recommend one. But you have the RNC, and that
        is nice as well.

        Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks? The
        > cheapest ones at the usual online places are $70, and that's too much
        > IMO for a few pieces of metal or fiberboard.

        That's about the going rate for a bunch of particle board these days. Go to
        Guitar Center and take a look at the Raxxess econo racks. You might be able
        to talk them down about 20 percent on the price. I would not buy it online,
        especially if they charge shipping.

        Paul Puri
        > Time Magazines 2006 Person of the Year
        >
        > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        > http://podcastguild.com/
        >
        > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
        >
        > Promotion without shame.
        > Podcasting Announcements

      • Todd Cochrane
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006
          You will like the 266xl I have had that in the chain here for over a year.
          Great for those that have noise issues that cannot be mitigated because of
          recording environments.

          _____

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006
            > I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
            > Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is, or whether he's full
            > of it) >8-> and dbx 266XL compressor/gate. I already have an RNC
            > (stands for "Really Nice Compressor") that I'm quite happy with, but
            > it doesn't have a limiter and sometimes clips in my software unless I
            > turn it down too low. So my plan is to use the 266XL as a cheap
            > hardware limiter, and maybe get rid of the last few processing effects
            > I was doing in software.

            I'm curious Steve, what settings are you using on your RNC? Ratio? And
            how much gain reduction do you usually go for when you're recording? I
            don't use a brick-wall limiter when I record BloodVeg. I use an inline
            compressor set pretty modestly and have yet to run into any clipping
            problems.

            > Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks? The
            > cheapest ones at the usual online places are $70, and that's too much
            > IMO for a few pieces of metal or fiberboard.

            I use a Gator GR6S for my gear, but I take my stuff on the road a lot,
            so I need a good portable rack case. You could always buy some rack rails
            and make your own if you're the Tim Allen type.

            Wassail,
            Rich...
          • Judefan
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006
              Anyone know of a good book or guide for settings on the 266XL? I have had
              one for about 7 months now and it sounds alright but I wonder if I could
              improve by knowing a little more about what all the knobs and pretty lights
              mean.

              PDL

              --
              P.D. Love
              The LoveHouse Radio Podcast - http://lovehouseradio.com

              Entertainment As I See It
              NASCAR Net News
              Both on the Podcaster News Network- www.podcasternews.com

            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 26, 2006
                On 12/26/06, Judefan <lovehouseradio@...> wrote:

                > Anyone know of a good book or guide for settings on the 266XL? I have had
                > one for about 7 months now and it sounds alright but I wonder if I could
                > improve by knowing a little more about what all the knobs and pretty
                > lights
                > mean.

                ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/PDFs/WhitePapers/Compression%20101.pdf

                DBX has a white paper on how to use a compressor. Written in plain english,
                and by the inventors of compression .

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 27, 2006
                  Thanks Paul

                  PDL

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
                    On 12/26/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@...> wrote:

                    > I know that buying open box stuff is always a bit of a gamble, and if
                    > the stuff ships to me in banged-up shape I'll know to warn people
                    > against it at BSW. But they've got a good reputation, so I'll give
                    > them a shot to save $50 or so.

                    Quick update: I ordered those items on Tuesday afternoon, and they
                    just arrived. Holy cow, that was fast. (Especially for free
                    shipping!)

                    The BBE Sonic Maximizer was in its original box, and if it had been
                    previously opened I saw no evidence of it. The dbx 266XL was in a
                    generic BSW box with lots of packing paper, but appeared to be in new
                    condition. The manual looked like it had been printed off from the
                    Web site and put into a presentation folder -- not the original, but
                    still, someone took the time to do that.

                    Oh, and there was chocolate in the box too, stapled to a "Thanks!" card.

                    I'm not being bribed by BSW in any fashion -- I've never been in
                    contact with them and this is my first order. But I figured as much
                    as I complain about things, I should say something nice for a change.
                    If this is what it's like ordering *overstock* from them, surplus
                    stuff they just want to get rid of, I suspect I'll be doing more
                    business with them in the future.

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Scott Parent
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
                      Hey Steve,

                      Great to hear about your positive experience. You're right, there are so
                      many customer service horror stories, it's nice to have something nice to
                      say once in a while.

                      Don't forget to tell us how you like each component after you've had a
                      chance to play around with them.

                      -Scott
                      AmericanCliche.net

                      > On 12/26/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I know that buying open box stuff is always a bit of a gamble, and if
                      > > the stuff ships to me in banged-up shape I'll know to warn people
                      > > against it at BSW. But they've got a good reputation, so I'll give
                      > > them a shot to save $50 or so.
                      >
                      > Quick update: I ordered those items on Tuesday afternoon, and they
                      > just arrived. Holy cow, that was fast. (Especially for free
                      > shipping!)
                      >
                      > The BBE Sonic Maximizer was in its original box, and if it had been
                      > previously opened I saw no evidence of it. The dbx 266XL was in a
                      > generic BSW box with lots of packing paper, but appeared to be in new
                      > condition. The manual looked like it had been printed off from the
                      > Web site and put into a presentation folder -- not the original, but
                      > still, someone took the time to do that.
                      >
                      > Oh, and there was chocolate in the box too, stapled to a "Thanks!" card.
                      >
                      > I'm not being bribed by BSW in any fashion -- I've never been in
                      > contact with them and this is my first order. But I figured as much
                      > as I complain about things, I should say something nice for a change.
                      > If this is what it's like ordering *overstock* from them, surplus
                      > stuff they just want to get rid of, I suspect I'll be doing more
                      > business with them in the future.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Have Fun,
                      > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                      > http://www.escapepod.org

                    • Michael Mennenga
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
                        Stephen Eley wrote:

                        > Quick update: I ordered those items on Tuesday afternoon, and they
                        > just arrived. Holy cow, that was fast. (Especially for free
                        > shipping!)

                        Get used to that.
                        Everything I have ever ordered from them has gotten here faster than I
                        expected it.

                        > Oh, and there was chocolate in the box too, stapled to a "Thanks!"
                        > card.

                        They started doing that 10 years ago and are still doing it. Cool huh?

                        > I'm not being bribed by BSW in any fashion -- I've never been in
                        > contact with them and this is my first order. But I figured as much
                        > as I complain about things, I should say something nice for a change.
                        > If this is what it's like ordering *overstock* from them, surplus
                        > stuff they just want to get rid of, I suspect I'll be doing more
                        > business with them in the future.

                        I should say that I have bought several hundreds of thousands of dollars
                        worth of equipment from them over the years (Many years and many radio
                        stations) and I have never been disappointed. Coming from big radio,
                        they know customer service.

                        --
                        Michael R. Mennenga

                        Director of Technical Operations
                        Farpoint Media
                        www.farpointmedia.net

                        Host of Dragon Page, Slice of Scifi and Wingin' It!
                        www.dragonpage.com
                        www.sliceofscifi.com
                        www.michaelandevo.com

                      • matt1027
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                          At 03:38 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:
                          >I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
                          >Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is,

                          So, how do you like it so far?

                          >Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?

                          Have you found any great sources for these yet?

                          Thanks,
                          Matt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                            On 1/3/07, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:
                            > At 03:38 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:
                            > >I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
                            > >Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is,
                            >
                            > So, how do you like it so far?

                            The effect is...subtle. At least in my good headphones. (It's
                            actually intended to improve the sound more with crappy speakers.) We
                            talk about it and I demo it in this week's Podholes, which will be
                            posting on Friday.

                            > >Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?
                            >
                            > Have you found any great sources for these yet?

                            Ebay. Found a deal with free shipping from these guys:

                            http://myworld.ebay.com/cheapstudioracks/

                            The rack came today, but I haven't had time to open the box yet so I
                            won't vouch for quality. However, my basic requirement was just "Hold
                            my gear up off the table" so I don't expect it to fail.

                            I also picked up an ART power conditioner for about $80. My studio's
                            in my basement, which a prior owner appears to have run electric
                            wiring in by hand, so better power protection is probably a good
                            thing.

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • Michael Mennenga
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
                              Stephen Eley wrote:

                              > >> Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?
                              >
                              > The rack came today, but I haven't had time to open the box yet so I
                              > won't vouch for quality. However, my basic requirement was just "Hold
                              > my gear up off the table" so I don't expect it to fail.

                              Damn, I was going to talk about this on the show, but we ran out of time.

                              One of the best racks you can build is simple and cheap, and it may be
                              perfect for most podcasters since it sits on any flat surface without
                              needing screws or mounts. (Plus it's any size you want it to be)

                              Buy a 2 space rack shelf. (You can get one for BSW for $25)

                              Then pick up a short pair of rack rail. (another $20)

                              Mount the rail on the shelf and add your equipment. What is cool with
                              this setup is that you have space underneath to put stuff. (CD's, mics,
                              cables..... stuff)
                              Also, it is as big as you need it to be. two space, five space....
                              whatever. It stands up strait, (no leaning back) and it slides around
                              on the table easy for positioning.

                              Give it a try, I think you'll like it.