"Show notes needed, even though it's all that good. "

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2006
      I decided the "No show notes needed" experiment was somewhat of a
      failure. Have about 50 listeners after two months, think I'd have more
      with show notes.

      I will have all show notes done and up (on site and in RSS feed) by
      end of week.

      New episode is up now (Xmas episode, episode 0013)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com

      --MWD and Matthew Wayne Selznick talk about podcasting, three-act
      structure, what's wrong with Hollywood, and why ego isn't required to
      make good art. (PART 4 OF 4.)

      --Debra Jean Dean and Michael W. Dean talk about why xmas sucks, and
      why a burrito and a BL0W*&! are the ideal date.

      --MWD and London May talk about London stalking Samhain until he was
      asked to join the band. He talks about playing in Tiger Army, Dag
      Nasty, Reptile House, and why punk rock ain't what it used to be.
      (PART 1 OF 4.)

      --MWD and Mike Kelley talk about shooting drugs, breaking enterings,
      and redemption. (PART 4 OF 4.)
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 25, 2006
        On 12/25/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

        > I decided the "No show notes needed" experiment was somewhat of a
        > failure. Have about 50 listeners after two months, think I'd have more
        > with show notes.

        I agree that show notes are very important. It is great for your listeners
        so they can reference new and old shows to find links of things you
        mentioned in your show. It is also a good practice because search bots like
        Google, Yahoo, etc., love links and text so it it will make it easier for
        your site to come up on search engines.

        And one of the most important reasons for show notes is if you play music on
        your show. Giving attribution to the artist and helping them get album sales
        is a very important thing to do, and give back to those that allow us to
        play their music so our listeners will be more entertained.

        Paul Puri
        Time Magazines 2006 Person of the Year

        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        http://podcastguild.com/

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
          Hi Michael,

          I think that's a good step (and those are good notes--it makes me want
          to listen when I have Web access again) but show notes are only part
          of the picture.

          If one of your goals is developing a larger audience, it's a bigger
          deal to have your podcast be *about* something, and communicate
          clearly what it's about. Amorphous podcasts and personal audioblogs
          may be personally satisfying, but it's harder to attract people to
          them when there's no handle to grab onto. (The only podcasts I can
          think of that are huge successes in that niche are Adam Curry's and Ze
          Frank's. Curry started famous and earned his street cred in
          podcasting, and Ze is utterly brilliant, and both work their asses off
          every day for their shows.)

          I've talked about this earlier. I really think it resolves to a
          clear dilemma: you can do whatever you want every time (and be happy
          with the audience you get), or you can establish a contract with your
          audience and deliver on it. The latter doesn't guarantee you a
          growing audience, but I do think it's a prerequisite in almost every
          case.

          Just my opinion. Of course I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this,
          but consider whether it's consistent with what you've already seen
          with your own podcasts.

          On 12/25/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
          > I decided the "No show notes needed" experiment was somewhat of a
          > failure. Have about 50 listeners after two months, think I'd have more
          > with show notes.
          >
          > I will have all show notes done and up (on site and in RSS feed) by
          > end of week.
          >
          > New episode is up now (Xmas episode, episode 0013)
          > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
          >
          > --MWD and Matthew Wayne Selznick talk about podcasting, three-act
          > structure, what's wrong with Hollywood, and why ego isn't required to
          > make good art. (PART 4 OF 4.)
          >
          > --Debra Jean Dean and Michael W. Dean talk about why xmas sucks, and
          > why a burrito and a BL0W*&! are the ideal date.
          >
          > --MWD and London May talk about London stalking Samhain until he was
          > asked to join the band. He talks about playing in Tiger Army, Dag
          > Nasty, Reptile House, and why punk rock ain't what it used to be.
          > (PART 1 OF 4.)
          >
          > --MWD and Mike Kelley talk about shooting drugs, breaking enterings,
          > and redemption. (PART 4 OF 4.)

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Flyswatter
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
            Stephen, I totally agree with you on the personal blog show thing. You
            can promote it until the cows come home, but if you don't have some
            measure of notoriety beforehand, it's never going to do all that much
            (And the delicious Ze had been internet-famous for several years. I
            had always joked that he was one I'd leave my husband for even before
            he started podcasting.).

            Oh yeah, Dawn and Drew and Keith and the Girl are also wildly popular
            personal casts, but they bust their butts every day and IMHO more
            importantly were early adopters.

            > If one of your goals is developing a larger audience, it's a bigger
            > deal to have your podcast be *about* something, and communicate
            > clearly what it's about. Amorphous podcasts and personal audioblogs
            > may be personally satisfying, but it's harder to attract people to
            > them when there's no handle to grab onto. (The only podcasts I can
            > think of that are huge successes in that niche are Adam Curry's and Ze
            > Frank's. Curry started famous and earned his street cred in
            > podcasting, and Ze is utterly brilliant, and both work their asses off
            > every day for their shows.)

            Laura Ross

            The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
            http://coffeeandteashow.com
            Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
            coffeeandteashow@...

            Rocky Horror Pod Show
            http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
            Listener hotline: 206-DEW-TOOT (206-339-8668)
            rockypod@...
          • lyzzip
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
              Well, I guess there is some truth to what Paul said.
              But me, as I think of it, I just don't find myself looking at
              shownotes often. In fact, I can't really remember the last time
              reading them.
              Are you sure the lack of shownotes was the only reason why you didn't
              have more listeners..?

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

              > On 12/25/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I decided the "No show notes needed" experiment was somewhat of a
              > > failure. Have about 50 listeners after two months, think I'd have more
              > > with show notes.
              >

              > I agree that show notes are very important. It is great for your
              listeners
              > so they can reference new and old shows to find links of things you
              > mentioned in your show. It is also a good practice because search
              bots like
              > Google, Yahoo, etc., love links and text so it it will make it
              easier for
              > your site to come up on search engines.
              >
              > And one of the most important reasons for show notes is if you play
              music on
              > your show. Giving attribution to the artist and helping them get
              album sales
              > is a very important thing to do, and give back to those that allow us to
              > play their music so our listeners will be more entertained.
              >

              > Paul Puri
              > Time Magazines 2006 Person of the Year
              >
              > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
              > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
              > http://podcastguild.com/
              >
              > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
              >
              > Promotion without shame.
              > Podcasting Announcements

            • Michael W. Dean
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                Clone The Homeless
                show notes are done:
                http://www.clonethehomeless.com

                had fun doing it.

                MWD
              • spuhn
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                  MWD, Your first entry is exactly why show notes are a good thing. Now
                  I'm going to download your show and give it a listen.

                  I've always viewed show notes as a good thing so that fans know what
                  to expect. Granted it may turn some people off but newbies might say
                  "Oh man I can't wait to hear about this." (as was the case with our
                  true story about an alcoholic lesbian nun living in a trailer park
                  from EP#7). I think it's essential for those of us with beercasts, or
                  any food/drink show, also so our fans know which beverages to
                  purchase ahead of time if they want
                  to join us.

                  cheers!

                  -spoon

                  ==================================
                  www.shouldidrinkthat.com

                  Should I drink that? Beercast
                  Even if it's crap, we drink it so you don't have to!

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Clone The Homeless
                  > show notes are done:
                  > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                  >

                  > had fun doing it.
                  >
                  > MWD

                • Flyswatter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                    I know shownotes are sort of a pain. There are lots of times when I just
                    can't listen to that show one more time so that I can do the blog. Sometimes
                    shows sit for a couple of days all FTPed to Libsyn just waiting for the
                    notes and I can't bring myself to write (and look up URLs). And the thing is
                    I love writing, usually.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "spuhn" <fatherspoon@...> wrote:

                      > MWD, Your first entry is exactly why show notes are a good thing. Now
                      > I'm going to download your show and give it a listen.

                      Excellent. My plans are coming to fruition... (MWD tents hands,
                      squints, then pets his cat and contemplates world domination.....)

                      > I've always viewed show notes as a good thing so that fans know what
                      > to expect. Granted it may turn some people off but newbies might say
                      > "Oh man I can't wait to hear about this." (as was the case with our
                      > true story about an alcoholic lesbian nun living in a trailer park
                      > from EP#7). I think it's essential for those of us with beercasts, or

                      You interviewed my aunt? cool!

                      MWD
                    • Heidi Miller
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                        Stephen, you're (not surprisingly) right on the mark, as far as I'm
                        concerned. A good microphone, good audio quality and good show notes
                        are good perks and will help your podcast (I have unsubscribed to
                        several 'casts because of atrocious audio quality--and I mean
                        ATROCIOUS), but truly, it's the content and your personality that
                        will have people tuning in each week.

                        I rarely check show notes even though I bust my butt over my own, but
                        they might come up on Technorati searches for a topic and steer me
                        towards a podcast I might not listen to otherwise. In fact, when I
                        was looking for podcasts to sample on a random topic for a new media
                        panel discussion last month, I just searched for "dog food podcast"
                        and got exactly what I needed--one excellent cast, one so-so cast and
                        one perfectly awful one.

                        Heidi Miller, Corporate Presenter and Spokesperson
                        heidim@...
                        847-942-6732
                        FR*E AUDIO REPORT! "The Top Three Mistakes Most Exhibitors Make and
                        How to Overcome Them" at www.heidimillerpresents.com !
                        Talk It Up! blog at www.heidimillerpresents.com/weblog
                        Diary of a Shameless Self-Promoter podcast at http://
                        heidimiller.libsyn.com
                      • Shawn Thorpe
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 28, 2006
                          I've been posting show notes for all of my shows since show one. I've done
                          over fifty shows now. And on average, my show has about fifty listeners.
                          Of course, I'm pretty lax when it comes to promotion, so it's really no
                          surprise to me about my numbers. Regardless, I do think that show notes are
                          important, even if it's just a basic outline of topics covered during a
                          show.

                          -Shawn