2006 in review: summarising 'our podcasting endeavours'.

  • dave_r_riley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2006
      Approaching the end of the year gives you, me and the other one a
      chance to review our podcasting endeavours. Since I only started in
      the medium 15 months ago I've had to negotiate a sharp learning curve
      from ignorance to a related form of bliss.

      So what have I learnt?:

      (1)THAT microphones matter one hell of a lot.

      (2)THAT you can establish your recording rig away from a computer and
      record great audio out and about as a matter of course.

      (3) THAT no matter what they tell you about Sony HiMD 'walkman' type
      recorders these little beauties -- with their plug in power, automatic
      gain control,shallow compression, quick computer upload...when synced
      with the latest version of SonicStage software to handle the files
      ..are, when purchased second hand, on eBay or on remainder -- the best
      portable recording rigs available under $AUD300.

      (4)THAT you can rely on Odeo as the best free and dependable resource
      to store your uploaded mp3 files.Why pay when that service is so good?
      And besides, Ev and friends at Odeo just sent me a Christmas card.

      (5)THAT good podcasting is about content, content, content.

      (6)THAT despite its crude interface Lemon/Juice/Ipodder --or whatever
      it's allowed to call itself now-- is still the most reliable free
      podcatcher because it eschews all unnecessary bells and whistles. A
      life without iTunes is a life indeed.

      (7) THAT audio flash players have come a long way over the past 12 months.

      (8) THAT when in doubt or confused about matters technological or
      procedural there's sure to be podcasting, RSS feed,audio or blogging
      forum somewhere on the web to generously answer your questions.

      (9) THAT you can record OK audio over a analogue phone line using a
      dual stereo mic setup and a speaker phone.

      (10)THAT all I want for Xmas is another microphone...and maybe a good
      set of earphones.

      dave riley

      APPENDIX: My Preferred Podcasts of 2006[A personal preference -- it's
      a lifestyle thing]

      Free Speech Radio News (pacif)
      Democracy Now!)(pacif)
      The Sound of Young America
      In Our Time (BBC)
      The Science Show(ABC)
      The Bike Show(Resonance)
      Never Not Funny
      The Health Report(ABC)
      The Media Report(ABC)
      Harry Shearer's le show
      Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything (NPR)
      This American Life
      Background Briefing(ABC)
      War News Radio
      HansIsland
      A World of Possibilities
      The Folkways Collection
      EcoShock News
      The Blue Grass and Old Time Music Show
      Radio Eye(ABC)
      Sreet Stories(ABC)
      PRX [Public Radio Exchange]

      ..the irony being that very few are standalone podcasts.

      Ratbag Radio Network:
      http://ratbagradionetwork.blogspot.com/
      Create audio for RRN:
      http://www.odeo.com/create/studio