Simplest, Cheapest, Smallest starter Podcast setup

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
      Okay, so here's the deal.

      I listen to podcasts (except they call them something else now,
      sometimes), and I wanna try this, even if I don't go anywhere in
      particular with it.

      I have tried several times to search for something simple and free to take
      input from a microphone and output to an MP3. No joy. Lots of links to
      lots of stuff, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I want.
      Gotta love Google.

      What's the simplest, cheapest (free is better, I like free) software
      available so I can tinker, but which can do more when I want to do more?

      Okay, eliminate cheap, I want free. I might give up on this and do
      something entirely different.

      --
      dbsmith at atbbs dot dyndns dot org
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
        On 12/21/06, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

        > What's the simplest, cheapest (free is better, I like free) software
        > available so I can tinker, but which can do more when I want to do more?

        Audacity. No question.

        http://audacity.sourceforge.net

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

          > Okay, so here's the deal.
          >
          > I listen to podcasts (except they call them something else now,
          > sometimes), and I wanna try this, even if I don't go anywhere in
          > particular with it.
          >
          > I have tried several times to search for something simple and free
          to take
          > input from a microphone and output to an MP3. No joy. Lots of
          links to
          > lots of stuff, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I
          want.
          > Gotta love Google.
          >
          > What's the simplest, cheapest (free is better, I like free) software
          > available so I can tinker, but which can do more when I want to do more?
          >
          > Okay, eliminate cheap, I want free. I might give up on this and do
          > something entirely different.

          ====================
          Audacity. It's free.
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
            It was 21 Dec 2006, when Stephen Eley commented:

            > On 12/21/06, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What's the simplest, cheapest (free is better, I like free) software
            > > available so I can tinker, but which can do more when I want to do more?
            >
            > Audacity. No question.
            >
            > http://audacity.sourceforge.net

            Okay, that was the first thing that came up on Google... didn't download
            properly with my first try. You have personal experience with this? What
            does it do you love, and what doesn't it do that you wish it did?

            I Like Sourceforge, although oddly enough, when I went to Sourceforge.net
            and did a search this -wasn't- the first item on the search list.
            Alphabetical order doesn't count anymore?

            Thanks for responding.

            --
            dbsmith at atbbs dot dyndns dot org
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn
            something, learns it, and finds himself no
            wiser than before. He is full of murderous
            resentment of people who are ignorant without
            having come by their ignorance the hard way."
            -- Bokonon
          • Kevin Crossman
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
              If you have a Mac, use GarageBand that came with your computer.

              It would be helpful to note the things you've used already (esp. if
              you have samples).

              BTW - free is a great goal, but sometimes you get what you pay for
              (esp. with microphones).

              -Kevin

              Kevin Crossman
              The Frat Pack Tribute: Saluting Hollywood's Comedy Clique
              www.the-frat-pack.com
              Listen to our Podcast at www.fratpackpodcast.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
                On 12/21/06, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                > It was 21 Dec 2006, when Stephen Eley commented:
                > >
                > > Audacity. No question.
                >
                > Okay, that was the first thing that came up on Google... didn't download
                > properly with my first try. You have personal experience with this? What
                > does it do you love, and what doesn't it do that you wish it did?

                Yes, I have personal experience with it. I produced my podcast with
                it for about six months. What I love and don't love about it is a
                long story, and since you chose to address the mailing list as
                "pricks" in the other thread you started, I'm not feeling oceans of
                patience with you right now.

                Audacity is the best answer for the requirements you posted. Try it
                and form your own conclusions.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Paul Puri
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006

                  > it for about six months. What I love and don't love about it is a
                  > long story, and since you chose to address the mailing list as
                  > "pricks" in the other thread you started, I'm not feeling oceans of
                  > patience with you right now.

                  He wasn't calling the group a bunch of pricks, he was calling Apple the
                  pricks. What's wrong with being a prick anyway? Some of my favorite
                  podcasters are pricks.

                  Paul Puri
                  Time Magazines Person of the Year
                  ;>)

                  Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                  The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                  http://podcastguild.com/

                  Promotion without shame.
                  Podcasting Announcements

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006
                    On 12/22/06, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                    > He wasn't calling the group a bunch of pricks, he was calling Apple the
                    > pricks.

                    Hmm. That's not the way I read the line "Okay, fine, so you wanna be
                    pricks." When someone says "you" it usually means that they're
                    addressing their audience.

                    (Although, granted, the whole topic of Apple and "pod" and the
                    concentric circles of misunderstanding around it just makes me groan
                    now, so perhaps I wasn't pondering deeply enough.)

                    In any case, I think "Try Audacity and decide what you think for
                    yourself" remains the right advice. Asking for a recommendation for
                    free, simple, powerful software *and then* a cost/benefit analysis of
                    the answer is a bit too much.

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Paul Puri
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 21, 2006

                      > Hmm. That's not the way I read the line "Okay, fine, so you wanna be
                      > pricks." When someone says "you" it usually means that they're
                      > addressing their audience.

                      Its always gotta be about you Steve.
                      ;>)

                      Paul Puri
                      Time Magazines Person of the Year
                      ;>)

                      Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                      The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                      http://podcastguild.com/

                      Promotion without shame.
                      Podcasting Announcements

                    • tom_a_sparks
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                        I've been using cool edit 96
                        with command line mp3 compressing (lame)

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                        > On 12/21/06, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > What's the simplest, cheapest (free is better, I like free) software
                        > > available so I can tinker, but which can do more when I want to do
                        more?

                        > Audacity. No question.
                        >
                        > http://audacity.sourceforge.net
                        >

                        > --
                        > Have Fun,
                        > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                        > http://www.escapepod.org

                      • Evo Terra
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                          Paul Puri wrote:

                          > What's wrong with being a prick anyway? Some of my favorite
                          > podcasters are pricks.

                          I smell a new group forming. PiP = Pricks in Podcasting. Thought I'm not
                          sure I'd like the company...

                          E.

                          --
                          Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
                          Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                            "Podholes" is already taken.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                              It was 22 Dec 2006, when Stephen Eley commented:

                              > On 12/21/06, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                              > > It was 21 Dec 2006, when Stephen Eley commented:
                              > > >
                              > > > Audacity. No question.
                              > >
                              > > Okay, that was the first thing that came up on Google... didn't download
                              > > properly with my first try. You have personal experience with this?
                              > > What does it do you love, and what doesn't it do that you wish it did?
                              >
                              > Yes, I have personal experience with it. I produced my podcast with
                              > it for about six months. What I love and don't love about it is a
                              > long story, and since you chose to address the mailing list as
                              > "pricks" in the other thread you started, I'm not feeling oceans of
                              > patience with you right now.

                              Actually, the reference was to Apple suing some other company the name of
                              which I forget for using the term "Podcast," which they claim the own.

                              Certainly no offense intended to the list, though I suppose I could have
                              phrased it better to indicate who I was referring to. Doesn't look like
                              my "Cast" idea is gonna happen this year. Sorry about any ill feelings I
                              may have created, albeit unintentionally.

                              > Audacity is the best answer for the requirements you posted. Try it
                              > and form your own conclusions.

                              Okay, fair enough.

                              --

                              David Smith <dbsmith at atbbs.dyndns.org>
                              Pegasus Mail is free software, committed to
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                                It was 22 Dec 2006, when Stephen Eley commented:

                                > On 12/22/06, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > He wasn't calling the group a bunch of pricks, he was calling Apple the
                                > > pricks.
                                >
                                > Hmm. That's not the way I read the line "Okay, fine, so you wanna be
                                > pricks." When someone says "you" it usually means that they're
                                > addressing their audience.
                                >
                                > (Although, granted, the whole topic of Apple and "pod" and the
                                > concentric circles of misunderstanding around it just makes me groan
                                > now, so perhaps I wasn't pondering deeply enough.)
                                >
                                > In any case, I think "Try Audacity and decide what you think for
                                > yourself" remains the right advice. Asking for a recommendation for
                                > free, simple, powerful software *and then* a cost/benefit analysis of
                                > the answer is a bit too much.

                                Well, a cost/benefit analysis is more than I was asking for, anyway. Just
                                general impressions. Isn't there always somethings one loves and some one
                                misses (at least) in any software?

                                Years ago, I got to be really, really good with WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS,
                                and a DOS database program you've probably never heard of, and that kept
                                me employed for a decade or so. Then everybody moved on; I supposed
                                they'd mostly moved on when I started. I used to find it fairly easy to
                                learn new things, and now I'm 48 and it's more of a problem. So I have a
                                bunch of useless and out-of-date skills.

                                I was hoping I could start right in the first place, unlike in that
                                process. At least I'm not planning on this for employment, just
                                enjoyment. But I keep ending up learning stuff that turns out to be
                                unusable, because it's nothing like what the rest of the world was already
                                doing and already knew was best.

                                Anyway, I'm probably practicing poor "netiquette" by jumping right in with
                                both feet in any case. Sorry about that. Speaking of which, the acronyms
                                "RTFM" and "FAQ" come to mind.

                                Downloaded Audacity (I hope, some technical wierdness with the download).
                                I'll see if I can make sense of it. Thanks for the guidance.

                                Shutting up now.

                                --

                                David Smith <dbsmith at atbbs.dyndns.org>
                                Pegasus Mail is free software, committed to
                                the notion that
                                communication is as basic a right as free
                                speech, since free speech
                                without a medium by which it may be heard is
                                as loud as silence.
                                -- David Harris, author, Pegasus Mail
                                <http://www.pmail.com>
                              • ghankstef
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 22, 2006
                                  > Years ago, I got to be really, really good with WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS,
                                  > and a DOS database program you've probably never heard of, and that kept
                                  > me employed for a decade or so. Then everybody moved on; I supposed
                                  > they'd mostly moved on when I started. I used to find it fairly easy to
                                  > learn new things, and now I'm 48 and it's more of a problem. So I have a
                                  > bunch of useless and out-of-date skills.

                                  There are some fundamentals you can learn about audio just like you can learn certain
                                  fundamentals about databases and the like.

                                  Some things to work on learning are:

                                  - getting good recording levels while minimizing background noise and preventing
                                  overmodulating (clipping)

                                  - Using a hi-pass EQ filter to reduce or monimize low, rumbling sounds

                                  - using audio compression to even out levels and boost overall volume to make the audio
                                  more pleasant to listen to

                                  these aren't the only things but its a good short list to start. Audacilty has some tools to
                                  help you with these steps. If you understand the concepts, its no so hard to learn how to
                                  do these things in other applications as well.

                                  Good luck,

                                  Geoff
                                  Fundamentalls of Digitall Audio Podcast
                                  http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/iqhL
                                • lyzzip
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 27, 2006
                                    Yeah, I can relate to the guys advising audacity.

                                    I have tried doing some recordings with it too and it works like a
                                    charm. The best part about it is that it is free and opensource. It
                                    coming up the first on the search engines' indexes should mean
                                    something, huh? ;)