Re: [podcasters] Real-Time Multi-track to Hard Drive

  • matt1027
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 21, 2006
      On 12/19/2006, Various Podcasters wrote:

      >Using some laptop HD performance stats off of tomshardware
      >(<http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html>http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html)
      and a quick
      >back-of-the-napkin calculation, even their lowest performing 5400 RPM
      >laptop HD had a "minimum write performance" throughput of 14mb/s.
      >That is enough to keep up with 9 mono 32 bit wav tracks at 44.1khz.

      >Not really. Even the slowest modern laptop hard drives will easily be
      >fast enough to record several 44.1 KHz 16-bit tracks simultaneously.
      >For example, eight tracks of 44100 Hz 16-bit (8 bits = 1 byte):
      >8 x 44,100 x 2 = 705,600 bytes/second

      Thanks for the math. I have a better understanding of the issue and
      feel pretty comfortable making a laptop decision now, also knowing
      about the external FireWire option in the event of needing more performance.

      Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion. I have another
      question about hardware but I'll ask it under a different subject heading.

      Matt