Digg adds "Digg Podcast"

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2006
      Digg now is "digging podcasts" (http://digg.com/podcasts)

      There seems to be some sort of "approval" process to get listed. Yet another
      place to begg your listeners to go a vote at. I have added several of my
      favorites already.

      --
      Mike Wills
      Blog - http://mikewills.name

      "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should never use
      them unless you have too." - Anonymous

    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2006
        On 12/18/06, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:

        > Digg now is "digging podcasts" (http://digg.com/podcasts)
        >
        > There seems to be some sort of "approval" process to get listed. Yet
        > another
        > place to begg your listeners to go a vote at. I have added several of my
        > favorites already.

        I think it is cool. More ways to promote on a site that gets a lot of
        traffic.

        Still wondering when they are going to have an actual podcast topic choice
        in their news section.
        :>(

        Paul Puri
        Time Magazines Person of the Year
        ;>)

        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        http://podcastguild.com/

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 18, 2006
          Problem I am noticing though is that some feeds are "invalid" even though
          they are valid feeds and I am not sure what the time frame is for
          "approval".

          On 12/18/06, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

          > On 12/18/06, Mike <koldark@... <koldark%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Digg now is "digging podcasts" (http://digg.com/podcasts)
          > >
          > > There seems to be some sort of "approval" process to get listed. Yet
          > > another
          > > place to begg your listeners to go a vote at. I have added several of my
          > > favorites already.
          >
          > I think it is cool. More ways to promote on a site that gets a lot of
          > traffic.
          >
          > Still wondering when they are going to have an actual podcast topic choice
          > in their news section.
          > :>(
          >
          > Paul Puri
          > Time Magazines Person of the Year
          > ;>)
          >
          > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
          > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
          > http://podcastguild.com/
          >
          > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
          >
          > Promotion without shame.
          > Podcasting Announcements

          Mike Wills
          Blog - http://mikewills.name
          Podcasts - http://theriverbendpodcast.com

          "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should never use
          them unless you have too." - Anonymous

        • the_x_ister
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
            Yeah, I noticed the same problems. I tried to submit my feed and a
            little exclamation point came up under the submission box and said I
            needed to submit my URL. And I thought I had just done that! 8(
            I've been waiting for a podcasting category on Digg myself...

            CUT AND PASTE RADIO
            bulldada.podomatic.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:

            > Problem I am noticing though is that some feeds are "invalid" even
            though
            > they are valid feeds and I am not sure what the time frame is for
            > "approval".
            >
            > On 12/18/06, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 12/18/06, Mike <koldark@... <koldark%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Digg now is "digging podcasts" (http://digg.com/podcasts)
            > > >
            > > > There seems to be some sort of "approval" process to get listed. Yet
            > > > another
            > > > place to begg your listeners to go a vote at. I have added
            several of my
            > > > favorites already.
            > >
            > > I think it is cool. More ways to promote on a site that gets a lot of
            > > traffic.
            > >
            > > Still wondering when they are going to have an actual podcast
            topic choice
            > > in their news section.
            > > :>(
            > >
            > > Paul Puri
            > > Time Magazines Person of the Year
            > > ;>)
            > >
            > > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
            > > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
            > > http://podcastguild.com/
            > >
            > > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
            > >
            > > Promotion without shame.
            > > Podcasting Announcements
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

            > Mike Wills
            > Blog - http://mikewills.name
            > Podcasts - http://theriverbendpodcast.com
            >
            > "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should
            never use
            > them unless you have too." - Anonymous

          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
              They obviously have an issue I have a valid feed as verified thru
              feedvalidator.org and the site is telling me my feed is invalid as well.
              It's a shame a site of that caliber cannot so the simple act of importing a
              RSS feed.

              Todd..

              _____

              Yeah, I noticed the same problems. I tried to submit my feed and a
              little exclamation point came up under the submission box and said I
              needed to submit my URL. And I thought I had just done that! 8(
              I've been waiting for a podcasting category on Digg myself...

            • Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
                Has no one noticed the word "beta" next to the word "Podcast" on the
                site? Report the issues to Digg; help 'em make it better.

                On 12/19/06, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

                > They obviously have an issue I have a valid feed as verified thru
                > feedvalidator.org and the site is telling me my feed is invalid as well.
                > It's a shame a site of that caliber cannot so the simple act of importing a
                > RSS feed.
                >
                > Todd..
                > _____
                >
                > Yeah, I noticed the same problems. I tried to submit my feed and a
                > little exclamation point came up under the submission box and said I
                > needed to submit my URL. And I thought I had just done that! 8(
                > I've been waiting for a podcasting category on Digg myself...

                --
                Matthew Wayne Selznick
                ++++++++++++++++++
                Author, Editor, Podcaster
                http://www.mattselznick.com

                MWS Media:
                Inexpensive web hosting, podcast consultation and other services to
                encourage the DIY ethic for independent artists and small business.
                Because doing it yourself should never mean going it alone.
                http://www.mwsmedia.com

                Podiobooks.com
                http://www.podiobooks.com
              • Dan Kuykendall
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
                  Your feed may have problems

                  http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbulldada.podomatic.com%2Frss2.xml

                  the_x_ister wrote:
                  > Yeah, I noticed the same problems. I tried to submit my feed and a
                  > little exclamation point came up under the submission box and said I
                  > needed to submit my URL. And I thought I had just done that! 8(
                  > I've been waiting for a podcasting category on Digg myself...
                  >
                  > CUT AND PASTE RADIO
                  > bulldada.podomatic.com
                  >

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
                  >> Problem I am noticing though is that some feeds are "invalid" even
                  > though
                  >> they are valid feeds and I am not sure what the time frame is for
                  >> "approval".

                  > several of my
                  >>> I think it is cool. More ways to promote on a site that gets a lot of
                  >>> traffic.
                  >>>
                  >>> Still wondering when they are going to have an actual podcast
                  > topic choice
                  >>> in their news section.
                  >>> :>(
                  >>>
                  >>> Paul Puri
                  >>> Time Magazines Person of the Year
                  >>> ;>)
                  >>>
                  >>> Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                  >>> The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                  >>> http://podcastguild.com/
                  >>>
                  >>> The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
                  >>>
                  >>> Promotion without shame.
                  >>> Podcasting Announcements
                  >>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

                  >> --
                  >> Mike Wills
                  >> Blog - http://mikewills.name
                  >> Podcasts - http://theriverbendpodcast.com
                  >>
                  >> "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should
                  > never use
                  >> them unless you have too." - Anonymous

                  Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                  http://www.mightyseek.com

                  In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
                  Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.
                • Dan Kuykendall
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
                    My podcast submission worked fine. Of course I know its a valid feed
                    because of podPress ;)

                    Todd Cochrane wrote:
                    > They obviously have an issue I have a valid feed as verified thru
                    > feedvalidator.org and the site is telling me my feed is invalid as well.
                    > It's a shame a site of that caliber cannot so the simple act of importing a
                    > RSS feed.
                    >

                    > Todd..
                    >

                    > _____
                    >

                    > Yeah, I noticed the same problems. I tried to submit my feed and a
                    > little exclamation point came up under the submission box and said I
                    > needed to submit my URL. And I thought I had just done that! 8(
                    > I've been waiting for a podcasting category on Digg myself...

                    Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                    http://www.mightyseek.com

                    In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
                    Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.
                  • Steve from Extra Points
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2006
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
                      <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                      > Has no one noticed the word "beta" next to the word "Podcast" on
                      the
                      > site?

                      Just putting the word "beta" on your site doesn't excuse you from
                      doing basic system testing before you release a product or service.
                      And if valid feeds aren't able to be added, then that says the
                      product just plain isn't ready to be released. If I released a new
                      program to my users at work that didn't at least perform the basic
                      functionality that it was expected to, I probably wouldn't have my
                      job for very much longer.

                      "Beta" used to mean that it might have some quirks or not look
                      pretty. Now it seems to mean that it might work and it might not,
                      and I don't think that's acceptable...

                      -Steve
                      http://www.extra-points.com
                      http://www.wickedgoodpodcast.com
                    • Paul Puri
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 20, 2006
                        On 12/19/06, Steve from Extra Points <extrapointspodcast@...> wrote:

                        > "Beta" used to mean that it might have some quirks or not look
                        > pretty. Now it seems to mean that it might work and it might not,
                        > and I don't think that's acceptable...

                        Beta also used to be a term reserved for software development, and there are
                        different stages of beta.

                        Now that we have services on the web instead of in software form, the term
                        beta will have to adapt to the changing of times. So expect this more and
                        more. It is the price we pay for progress. Sites will be in several testing
                        phases. What better way to test something than in an actual real world, than
                        by a few geeks having some sort of privilege and bragging rights.
                        ;>)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2006
                          On 12/20/06, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                          > Now that we have services on the web instead of in software form, the term
                          > beta will have to adapt to the changing of times. So expect this more and
                          > more. It is the price we pay for progress.

                          What I'm hoping instead is that Web sites will drop the damn word and
                          just get comfortable with a culture of continuous change and
                          improvement. The Gmail icon in the corner of this window I'm typing
                          in still says "Beta," and I don't think it even means anything. While
                          it says "Beta" they'll keep working on stability and adding features.
                          After "Beta" is gone I expect they'll keep working on stability and
                          adding features. What's different?

                          http://www.escapepod.org
                        • Paul Puri
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2006

                            > What I'm hoping instead is that Web sites will drop the damn word and
                            > just get comfortable with a culture of continuous change and
                            > improvement. The Gmail icon in the corner of this window I'm typing
                            > in still says "Beta," and I don't think it even means anything. While
                            > it says "Beta" they'll keep working on stability and adding features.
                            > After "Beta" is gone I expect they'll keep working on stability and
                            > adding features. What's different?

                            I do agree that for some, a beta can last the lifetime of the product, and
                            that at some point it is time to loosen the reigns and say you are done.

                            Gmail is a big example of this, as Steve said. You can still add features
                            and tweak items out of beta. They just call it an update.

                            An example of an item that is still in beta would be my operating system.
                            But Microsoft insists on calling those weekly changes updates.
                            ;>)

                            Paul Puri
                            Time Magazines Person of the Year
                            ;>)

                            Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                            The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                            http://podcastguild.com/

                            Promotion without shame.
                            Podcasting Announcements

                          • Rich Elswick
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
                              tried submitting my feed, which is at Feedburner, yet it didn't populate my
                              RSS information... which is what I believe is causing an issue. Any
                              suggestions?

                              Rich Elswick
                              http://www.painbank.com <blocked::http://www.painbank.com> - SCA centric
                              martial arts podcast
                              http://www.moyaentertainment.com <http://www.moyaentertainment.com/> -
                              Podcast Production

                              _____

                              Blog - http://mikewills. <http://mikewills.name> name
                              Podcasts - http://theriverbend <http://theriverbendpodcast.com> podcast.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
                                First make sure you validate your feed.

                                --
                                Mike Wills
                                Blog - http://mikewills.name
                                Podcasts - http://theriverbendpodcast.com

                                "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should never
                                use them unless you have too." - Anonymous
                              • George L Smyth
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
                                  Well, you're in the same boat with a number of other people. My One Minute
                                  How-To podcast's feed validates without even a warning. I submit, choose a
                                  category, and am taken to a 404 page. Contact with Digg is almost non-existant
                                  (I got a form email from them telling me to validate, and return emails
                                  explaining that my feed is fine are unanswered). Unless someone has got a
                                  contact at Digg, I'm guessing that we're just out of luck.

                                  Cheers -

                                  george

                                  --- Rich Elswick <richard@...> wrote:

                                  > tried submitting my feed, which is at Feedburner, yet it didn't populate my
                                  > RSS information... which is what I believe is causing an issue. Any
                                  > suggestions?
                                  >
                                  > Rich Elswick
                                  > http://www.painbank.com <blocked::http://www.painbank.com> - SCA centric
                                  > martial arts podcast
                                  > http://www.moyaentertainment.com <http://www.moyaentertainment.com/> -
                                  > Podcast Production
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                  -------------------------------------

                                  Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                                  DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PrudentInvestor

                                  Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GLSmyth
                                • Rich Elswick
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
                                    perhaps we should digg a digg on digg about this issue. :)

                                    haha, well I just tried submitting my site address...

                                    http://www.painbank.com

                                    and it worked out... even though the rss feed incorrectly pointed to
                                    http://painbank.com on the next page. I then just hit the Add button and it
                                    submitted it and now shows as Not Approved Yet, but it shows all the right
                                    details now, including the rss page, which is http://www.painbank.com/rss
                                    which redirects to my feedburner page at http://www.feedburner.com/scacast

                                    Well anyhow, good luck.

                                    I have blogged this here :
                                    http://relswick.joeuser.com

                                    and added this as a digg work around here...
                                    http://www.digg.com/mods/Work_around_for_Digg_Podcasts_Beta_submissions

                                    Rich

                                    _____

                                    --- Rich Elswick <richard@moyaenterta

                                    <blocked::http://www.painbank <http://www.painbank.com> .com> - SCA centric

                                    <http://theriverbendpodcast.com> podcast.com> podcast.com

                                    > "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should never use
                                    > them unless you have too." - Anonymous

                                    Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix. <http://EclecticMix.com> com
                                    One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHow <http://OneMinuteHowTo.com> To.com
                                    DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvestin <http://DRiPInvesting.org> g.org - Blog: