Re: [podcasters] Re: Constant buzzing noise when using condenser microphone

  • Steven Taylor
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
      Any power supply that uses a full wave rectifier will produce a ripple
      frqequency of 120Hz. If the power supply does not have adequate filtering,
      it will allow that 120Hz to get into the rest of the system. It will then
      get picked up and amplified by any circuits that don't have a good power
      suplpy rejection ratio. That's why 120Hz noise is actually quite common.

      Steve Taylor

      On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:10:23 -0800, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

      > On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
      >>
      >> If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
      >> Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
      >> something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
      >> the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
      >> recording? Did you have the same lights on?
      >

      > I too tried to eliminate the sound using a standard 50 and 60Hz bandwidth
      > eliminator, without any results. So I tried different frequencies and
      > eventually was able to get rid of it around 120Hz. So it is not your
      > garden
      > variety hum.
      >

      > Paul Puri
      >
      > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
      > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
      > http://podcastguild.com/
      >
      > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
      >
      > Promotion without shame.
      > Podcasting Announcements

    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
        The problem turned out to be the microphone. I took the whole rig (except
        for the computer) to a local music store and tried it with a different
        microphone. The new mic (which I eventually purchased) sounded nice and
        clear. The old mic still buzzed like an angry swarm of bees. I've also now
        tested the new microphone out at home, and it still sounds fine.

        So it seems this mystery has been solved. Thanks again to everyone for the
        help.

        -Shawn

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
          On 12/3/06, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:
          > The problem turned out to be the microphone.

          (*Steve licks tip of index finger; makes downward motion in air*) >8->

          Seriously, glad you got it figured out. That's the kind of
          frustration that drives people insane. Soon you'd be losing sleep,
          then refusing to eat or drink... Finally you'd be calling into talk
          radio shows. It isn't pretty.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
            I was actually getting pretty depressed over it. I was riding the bus to
            the music store, with all of my gear stuffed into my bag, expecting the
            worst. I'm glad now that I know the problem was the microhone. But I'm
            disappointed that I spent shipping money ($16.00 for UPS Ground) to send the
            mixer in for service. Not to mention the downtime in production. Lesson
            learned. I really am glad for the suggestions that people made through this
            group. If it hadn't been for you guys, I would've purchased a power
            conditioner, and that wouldn't have done anything to fix the problem.

            -Shawn