high quality PCI sound card?

  • Steven Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
      Hi, I'm interested in getting a high quality PCI sound card to record
      vinyl into digital form and then play it back through a high quality
      stereo system from a computer. I have read that the Digital Audio Labs
      CarDeluxe is such a card but I am running Linux and it does not seem to
      have Linux support. Can anyone recommend a similar quality level card for
      use with Linux? Or possibly an external ADC/DAC that connects through USB?
      I want to create a library of my LPs on my central computer to be able to
      play them in two locations in my house without losing sound quality.
      Obviously, they will not be compressed and I plan to transfer the data
      over 802.11b for playback. Is this plan doable? Anybody here had any
      experience with such a setup? I am quite sensitive to sound quality and
      many LPs played on my system have a beautiful sound that surpasses many
      CDs. I don't want to lose the quality in the recording/playback process if
      at all possible.

      I asked this question over on the Audacity group and it was suggested that
      I might get more info from this group.

      Thanks
      Steve Taylor

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
        On 12/2/06, Steven Taylor <steven.taylor56@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I'm interested in getting a high quality PCI sound card to record
        > vinyl into digital form and then play it back through a high quality
        > stereo system from a computer. I have read that the Digital Audio Labs
        > CarDeluxe is such a card but I am running Linux and it does not seem to
        > have Linux support. Can anyone recommend a similar quality level card for
        > use with Linux? Or possibly an external ADC/DAC that connects through USB?

        I would suggest an external Firewire or USB interface, because they're
        not susceptible to electrical noise from inside your computer.
        (Granted, that's more of a problem with cheap sound cards than
        expensive ones, but still.) For your needs, it sounds like any good
        24/96 interface with stereo inputs would work... You can find the
        Edirol UA1-EX for about $80, or the Tascam US-122 for about $150.
        Behringer also makes a Firewire interface, the FCA-202, for $80, but
        with the company's reputation for cheap prices over quality, I
        wouldn't recommend that one without having heard it. I would also
        stay away from M-Audio products as I've had bad experiences with
        noise, even at line level.

        You can get better interfaces for a lot more money, of course, but the
        law of diminishing returns hits quickly and I don't know what your
        budget is. Ask an audiophile and he'll tell you you need some $1,000
        interface, but the ones I mentioned *should* sound perfectly fine.
        Yours is one of the few applications where 24-bit, 96 kHz recording
        might actually be worthwhile. (Most mid-range equipment will offer
        it, but podcasters don't need it.)

        As for playing it back over Wi-Fi, it sounds plausible enough. It
        sounds like you already know how to do what you want to do there, and
        how to get the sound to your stereo. So enjoy!

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          Thanks for the information. I have the oportunity to borrow an ESI
          Waveterminal U24 before I spend more money on something of my own. I'll
          give it a try and see how it all works.

          Steve