Re: Constant buzzing noise when using condenser microphone

  • Lorne Ipsum
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

      > I connected the mic to my Fender powered mixer/P.A. and monitored it
      there.
      > No buzzing.
      >
      > I guess my next step will be to research the ground loop angle and
      see what
      > I come up with. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

      Shawn -- FYI, I downloaded your MP3 file, deleted everything that
      wasn't background (basically, your voice), and did a spectral analysis
      on the buzz.

      It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.

      If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
      Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
      something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
      the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
      recording? Did you have the same lights on?

      Lorne
      Lorne Ipsum
      Chief Geek, Geek Counterpoint blog & podcast
      http://geekcounterpoint.net
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
        On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:

        > It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
        >
        > If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
        > Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
        > something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
        > the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
        > recording? Did you have the same lights on?

        I too tried to eliminate the sound using a standard 50 and 60Hz bandwidth
        eliminator, without any results. So I tried different frequencies and
        eventually was able to get rid of it around 120Hz. So it is not your garden
        variety hum.

        Paul Puri

        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        http://podcastguild.com/

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
          Any power supply that uses a full wave rectifier will produce a ripple
          frqequency of 120Hz. If the power supply does not have adequate filtering,
          it will allow that 120Hz to get into the rest of the system. It will then
          get picked up and amplified by any circuits that don't have a good power
          suplpy rejection ratio. That's why 120Hz noise is actually quite common.

          Steve Taylor

          On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:10:23 -0800, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

          > On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
          >>
          >> If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
          >> Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
          >> something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
          >> the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
          >> recording? Did you have the same lights on?
          >

          > I too tried to eliminate the sound using a standard 50 and 60Hz bandwidth
          > eliminator, without any results. So I tried different frequencies and
          > eventually was able to get rid of it around 120Hz. So it is not your
          > garden
          > variety hum.
          >

          > Paul Puri
          >
          > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
          > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
          > http://podcastguild.com/
          >
          > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
          >
          > Promotion without shame.
          > Podcasting Announcements

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            I did test it with the Fender mixer in a different room from where I have
            the computer. But I've also tested the Multimix in the same room as the
            Fender. The buzzing was still there. One of the nice things about the
            Multimix is that it can operate as a stand-alone mixer. So, I can test it
            out just about anywhere. All I need is an electrical outlet, the microphone
            and my headphones. And everywhere I've hooked it up, I've had the same
            problem. I suppose that there's still a chance it could be the microphone,
            and this is the only condenser mic I have. I'm going to contact some local
            music shops today to see if they'd be willing to let me connect one of their
            condensers to the mixer. My ideal goal is to eliminate the mixer itself as
            being the problem. If either the power in my home or my microphone are the
            problem, then I can take some action. If the problem is indeed with the
            mixer, I'll have to send it in again for service. I'd like to avoid that if
            possible.

            Thanks to Lorne and Paul for their help in this matter.

            -Shawn

            On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:

            > Shawn -- FYI, I downloaded your MP3 file, deleted everything that
            > wasn't background (basically, your voice), and did a spectral analysis
            > on the buzz.
            >
            > It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
            >
            > If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
            > Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
            > something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
            > the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
            > recording? Did you have the same lights on?
            >
            > Lorne
          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
              The problem turned out to be the microphone. I took the whole rig (except
              for the computer) to a local music store and tried it with a different
              microphone. The new mic (which I eventually purchased) sounded nice and
              clear. The old mic still buzzed like an angry swarm of bees. I've also now
              tested the new microphone out at home, and it still sounds fine.

              So it seems this mystery has been solved. Thanks again to everyone for the
              help.

              -Shawn

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                On 12/3/06, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:
                > The problem turned out to be the microphone.

                (*Steve licks tip of index finger; makes downward motion in air*) >8->

                Seriously, glad you got it figured out. That's the kind of
                frustration that drives people insane. Soon you'd be losing sleep,
                then refusing to eat or drink... Finally you'd be calling into talk
                radio shows. It isn't pretty.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Shawn Thorpe
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                  I was actually getting pretty depressed over it. I was riding the bus to
                  the music store, with all of my gear stuffed into my bag, expecting the
                  worst. I'm glad now that I know the problem was the microhone. But I'm
                  disappointed that I spent shipping money ($16.00 for UPS Ground) to send the
                  mixer in for service. Not to mention the downtime in production. Lesson
                  learned. I really am glad for the suggestions that people made through this
                  group. If it hadn't been for you guys, I would've purchased a power
                  conditioner, and that wouldn't have done anything to fix the problem.

                  -Shawn