Re: [podcasters] Constant buzzing noise when using condenser microphone

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      I connected the mic to my Fender powered mixer/P.A. and monitored it there.
      No buzzing.

      I guess my next step will be to research the ground loop angle and see what
      I come up with. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

      -Shawn

      > I'd have suspected the microphone first, actually. How did you rule it
      > out?

    • Lorne Ipsum
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

        > I connected the mic to my Fender powered mixer/P.A. and monitored it
        there.
        > No buzzing.
        >
        > I guess my next step will be to research the ground loop angle and
        see what
        > I come up with. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

        Shawn -- FYI, I downloaded your MP3 file, deleted everything that
        wasn't background (basically, your voice), and did a spectral analysis
        on the buzz.

        It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.

        If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
        Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
        something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
        the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
        recording? Did you have the same lights on?

        Lorne
        Lorne Ipsum
        Chief Geek, Geek Counterpoint blog & podcast
        http://geekcounterpoint.net
      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
          On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:

          > It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
          >
          > If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
          > Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
          > something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
          > the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
          > recording? Did you have the same lights on?

          I too tried to eliminate the sound using a standard 50 and 60Hz bandwidth
          eliminator, without any results. So I tried different frequencies and
          eventually was able to get rid of it around 120Hz. So it is not your garden
          variety hum.

          Paul Puri

          Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
          The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
          http://podcastguild.com/

          Promotion without shame.
          Podcasting Announcements

        • Steven Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            Any power supply that uses a full wave rectifier will produce a ripple
            frqequency of 120Hz. If the power supply does not have adequate filtering,
            it will allow that 120Hz to get into the rest of the system. It will then
            get picked up and amplified by any circuits that don't have a good power
            suplpy rejection ratio. That's why 120Hz noise is actually quite common.

            Steve Taylor

            On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:10:23 -0800, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

            > On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
            >>
            >> If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
            >> Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
            >> something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
            >> the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
            >> recording? Did you have the same lights on?
            >

            > I too tried to eliminate the sound using a standard 50 and 60Hz bandwidth
            > eliminator, without any results. So I tried different frequencies and
            > eventually was able to get rid of it around 120Hz. So it is not your
            > garden
            > variety hum.
            >

            > Paul Puri
            >
            > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
            > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
            > http://podcastguild.com/
            >
            > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
            >
            > Promotion without shame.
            > Podcasting Announcements

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              I did test it with the Fender mixer in a different room from where I have
              the computer. But I've also tested the Multimix in the same room as the
              Fender. The buzzing was still there. One of the nice things about the
              Multimix is that it can operate as a stand-alone mixer. So, I can test it
              out just about anywhere. All I need is an electrical outlet, the microphone
              and my headphones. And everywhere I've hooked it up, I've had the same
              problem. I suppose that there's still a chance it could be the microphone,
              and this is the only condenser mic I have. I'm going to contact some local
              music shops today to see if they'd be willing to let me connect one of their
              condensers to the mixer. My ideal goal is to eliminate the mixer itself as
              being the problem. If either the power in my home or my microphone are the
              problem, then I can take some action. If the problem is indeed with the
              mixer, I'll have to send it in again for service. I'd like to avoid that if
              possible.

              Thanks to Lorne and Paul for their help in this matter.

              -Shawn

              On 12/2/06, Lorne Ipsum <lorne@...> wrote:

              > Shawn -- FYI, I downloaded your MP3 file, deleted everything that
              > wasn't background (basically, your voice), and did a spectral analysis
              > on the buzz.
              >
              > It's 120 Hz, and various harmonics (multiples) of it.
              >
              > If this was strictly a ground loop problem, I'd have expected more 60
              > Hz in the noise. So my guess is that you're picking up noise from
              > something else (or maybe your mixer is). When you did your test with
              > the Fender, were you in the same room as for the original (buzzy)
              > recording? Did you have the same lights on?
              >
              > Lorne
            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                The problem turned out to be the microphone. I took the whole rig (except
                for the computer) to a local music store and tried it with a different
                microphone. The new mic (which I eventually purchased) sounded nice and
                clear. The old mic still buzzed like an angry swarm of bees. I've also now
                tested the new microphone out at home, and it still sounds fine.

                So it seems this mystery has been solved. Thanks again to everyone for the
                help.

                -Shawn

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                  On 12/3/06, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:
                  > The problem turned out to be the microphone.

                  (*Steve licks tip of index finger; makes downward motion in air*) >8->

                  Seriously, glad you got it figured out. That's the kind of
                  frustration that drives people insane. Soon you'd be losing sleep,
                  then refusing to eat or drink... Finally you'd be calling into talk
                  radio shows. It isn't pretty.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Shawn Thorpe
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                    I was actually getting pretty depressed over it. I was riding the bus to
                    the music store, with all of my gear stuffed into my bag, expecting the
                    worst. I'm glad now that I know the problem was the microhone. But I'm
                    disappointed that I spent shipping money ($16.00 for UPS Ground) to send the
                    mixer in for service. Not to mention the downtime in production. Lesson
                    learned. I really am glad for the suggestions that people made through this
                    group. If it hadn't been for you guys, I would've purchased a power
                    conditioner, and that wouldn't have done anything to fix the problem.

                    -Shawn