Re: [podcasters] So, what should be under my tree this year?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      On 11/30/06, skywarrior3@... <skywarrior3@...> wrote:
      > You know, my Ipod is knocking at the limits of its space and I'm looking at
      > possibly getting something a bit more versatile. Maybe something IRiverish
      > that I could use for interviews.
      >
      > So, what do you use and what do you like when it comes to portable media?
      > Cost is a factor, but I got some money from an award.

      "Cost is a factor" doesn't give any indication what your budget is.

      The most exciting portable device right now looks to be the Zoom H4.
      Fully capable flash recording, XLR inputs, built-in stereo mics that
      are probably quite good, *and* it doubles as a USB audio interface for
      recording at home. It costs $300, which is cheaper than its closest
      feature competitors (and they don't have XLR or do the USB interface
      thing).

      If $300 is too much for you, the most "iRiverish" thing you could get
      for recording interviews would be an iRiver. 7xx and 8xx series
      iRivers are still plentiful and cheap on eBay. You don't want the
      later models -- their recording is crippled in comparison. Spend some
      money on a decent portable mic too (I'm very fond of the Giant Squids)
      and you have a solution that will work well at home or on the road.

      These are of course the same answers Mike and I gave to you in Podholes #1.

      http://www.escapepod.org