So, what should be under my tree this year?

  • skywarrior3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      You know, my Ipod is knocking at the limits of its space and I'm looking at
      possibly getting something a bit more versatile. Maybe something IRiverish
      that I could use for interviews.

      So, what do you use and what do you like when it comes to portable media?
      Cost is a factor, but I got some money from an award.

      Maggie

      ----------- "Good Tea. Nice House," Lt. Worf, ST:TNG -------------
      Maggie Bonham, author of twenty-two books

      Author of Prophecy of Swords and the upcoming Runestone of Teiwas,
      published by Yard Dog Press (http://www.yarddogpress.com/) . Author of the
      upcoming Lachlei, published by Dragon Moon Press
      (http://www.dragonmoonpress.com/) . Prophecy of Swords is available at
      Podiobooks.com(http://www.podiobooks.com/) .

      Host of the SCI FI Traveling Road Show
      (http://www.scifitravelingroadshow.com/) .

      A Dog's Wisdom
      The Complete Idiot's Guide to Designer Dogs
      Website: www.shadowhelm.net
      Journal: http://shadowhelm.livejournal.com/

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        On 11/30/06, skywarrior3@... <skywarrior3@...> wrote:
        > You know, my Ipod is knocking at the limits of its space and I'm looking at
        > possibly getting something a bit more versatile. Maybe something IRiverish
        > that I could use for interviews.
        >
        > So, what do you use and what do you like when it comes to portable media?
        > Cost is a factor, but I got some money from an award.

        "Cost is a factor" doesn't give any indication what your budget is.

        The most exciting portable device right now looks to be the Zoom H4.
        Fully capable flash recording, XLR inputs, built-in stereo mics that
        are probably quite good, *and* it doubles as a USB audio interface for
        recording at home. It costs $300, which is cheaper than its closest
        feature competitors (and they don't have XLR or do the USB interface
        thing).

        If $300 is too much for you, the most "iRiverish" thing you could get
        for recording interviews would be an iRiver. 7xx and 8xx series
        iRivers are still plentiful and cheap on eBay. You don't want the
        later models -- their recording is crippled in comparison. Spend some
        money on a decent portable mic too (I'm very fond of the Giant Squids)
        and you have a solution that will work well at home or on the road.

        These are of course the same answers Mike and I gave to you in Podholes #1.

        http://www.escapepod.org