ARGHH! Beyer USB headset fails. What is a decent headset?

  • Pilot Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
      I've about given up.

      Based on Paul Figgianni's recommendation I actually bought 3 of the
      BeyerDynamic MMX1 USB headsets for our hosts. I just tried mine. The
      USB doesn't work reliably with a Macbook Pro. It's looking like Audio
      Hijack breaks the output function. At first I was able to hear iTunes
      in the headphone part, and it sounded good, but the output stops when I
      hijack with Audio Hijack Pro. I plugged and unplug the USB cable and
      have intermittently managed to hear the output. On the test recording
      I made I can hear a bad whine, which may be the fans on the nearby PC
      but I can't test enough successfully to tell. I can see recording in
      Soundtrack Pro but I still can't hear it in the headset.

      I really would like to get decent headsets to make life simple. I guess
      I have to give up on the idea of using a USB and go analog, at least on
      my MacBook Pro which has decent audio ports. I wanted USB for remote
      hosts that are using PCs where the audio sections may be iffy.

      Since we're not recording in studios, a noise-canceling mic is
      essential. Are there any that have decent audio quality and noise
      canceling?

      What's the consensus on good sub $100 headsets? Are the Plantronics
      OK? Sennheiser? I noticed that the Plantronics that Amber was using
      on Net@Nite picked up a horrible ambient echo from the room.

      I need to order another one for a remote host ASAP. I'd appreciate any
      advice.

      Thanks!

      --Mike

      --
      --Pilot Mike

      The Pilotcast
      The show for Pilots, by Pilots
      http://www.pilotcast.com
    • Melissa Anelli
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
        I've had the Plantronics DSP 400 and have yet to have a complaint about it;
        most of hte podcasters on PotterCast use this (the main three have upgraded
        but we started with Plantronics and they continue to be good):

        http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-DSP-400-Digitally-Enhanced-Foldable-Software/dp/B00005A9AU/sr=8-1/qid=1164903940/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6455221-4904863?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

        On 11/30/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...> wrote:

        > I've about given up.
        >
        > Based on Paul Figgianni's recommendation I actually bought 3 of the
        > BeyerDynamic MMX1 USB headsets for our hosts. I just tried mine. The
        > USB doesn't work reliably with a Macbook Pro. It's looking like Audio
        > Hijack breaks the output function. At first I was able to hear iTunes
        > in the headphone part, and it sounded good, but the output stops when I
        > hijack with Audio Hijack Pro. I plugged and unplug the USB cable and
        > have intermittently managed to hear the output. On the test recording
        > I made I can hear a bad whine, which may be the fans on the nearby PC
        > but I can't test enough successfully to tell. I can see recording in
        > Soundtrack Pro but I still can't hear it in the headset.
        >
        > I really would like to get decent headsets to make life simple. I guess
        > I have to give up on the idea of using a USB and go analog, at least on
        > my MacBook Pro which has decent audio ports. I wanted USB for remote
        > hosts that are using PCs where the audio sections may be iffy.
        >
        > Since we're not recording in studios, a noise-canceling mic is
        > essential. Are there any that have decent audio quality and noise
        > canceling?
        >
        > What's the consensus on good sub $100 headsets? Are the Plantronics
        > OK? Sennheiser? I noticed that the Plantronics that Amber was using
        > on Net@Nite picked up a horrible ambient echo from the room.
        >
        > I need to order another one for a remote host ASAP. I'd appreciate any
        > advice.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > --Mike
        >
        > --
        > --Pilot Mike
        >
        > The Pilotcast
        > The show for Pilots, by Pilots
        > http://www.pilotcast.com

      • Cynthia Armistead
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
          Pilot Mike wrote:

          > What's the consensus on good sub $100 headsets? Are the Plantronics
          > OK? Sennheiser? I noticed that the Plantronics that Amber was using
          > on Net@Nite picked up a horrible ambient echo from the room.
          >
          > I need to order another one for a remote host ASAP. I'd appreciate any
          > advice.

          I'm very happy with my Logitech USB headset. It's the 350 model - the
          one marked "premium." If you need one ASAP, Best Buy usually has it in
          stock for about $50. I tried the 250 model first, and there's a
          significant quality difference between the two, even to my fairly
          untrained ears.

          FWIW, Sam (of The Bear's Grove) has taken to using my headset in place
          of his otherwise very nice Samson C01U USB mic whenever using Skype for
          collaborations. The Samson has some sort of problem (on his system) that
          causes "robot voice" after a while. (He's posted about it here.) That
          hasn't ever happened with the Logitech headset. We'll be a two-headset
          family (three, honestly, as our daughter Katie wants one too) before long.

          Namaste,
          Cyn

          cyn@...
          http://www.technomom.com/ - main site
          http://www.fibrantliving.com/ - podcast
          http://technomom.livejournal.com/ - LJ
          http://cynthiaarmistead.com/ - professional portfolio
          http://academycaritas.org/ - homeschooling blog
          "The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for
          yourself." Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992
        • Joel Haasnoot
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
            Have you tried the Logitech models? I have a Logitech Premium USB Headset
            250, although the 350 might be a little better and is more expensive (has a
            volume control and better 'ear muffs'). I've had no problems with this
            headset and they're affordable. They work out of the box with Windows and
            Mac (not sure about mac, but no drivers are supplied). They also can accept
            a bit of a beating too, I've tugged mine plenty of times and it's gotten
            plenty of abuse!

            Joel

            --
            <=>< <=>< <=><
            Joel Haasnoot, Geek & Programmer
            > "The revolution will not be televised", it will be podcasted
            > "Terrorists are like Pokemon, you gotta catch 'em all"

          • Tairy Woodard
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
              The higher end Plantronics Headsets are wonderful. I have tried several different brands in both USB and standard and I always end up back at my Plantronics for the best sound quality.

[...]

              Tairy Woodard
              "Little Red"
              "As always... Remember you have the power
              to convey any feeling you wish, through
              the choice of your words"
              www.lrwh.us

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                On 11/30/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...> wrote:

                > I really would like to get decent headsets to make life simple. I guess
                > I have to give up on the idea of using a USB and go analog, at least on
                > my MacBook Pro which has decent audio ports. I wanted USB for remote
                > hosts that are using PCs where the audio sections may be iffy.

                Be aware that the MacBook Pro *does not* have a microphone jack. The
                input jack is a line-in or optical input *only*. I've been burned on
                this before; if you want to plug a standard mic into it you'll first
                need to run it through a mixer or iRiver or some other device to raise
                it to line level.

                USB headsets... Early on, when I was trying to get my podcast
                launched, I tried the $100 Plantronics headset and had really bad
                results. Lots of crackling, dropouts, and general badness. It might
                been bad configuration (I didn't know what I was doing then) or it
                might have been a lemon headset. I returned it, so I can't try again
                to find out.

                I've since had rather good results with the Logitech headsets. I own
                both the Logitech 250 and the 350. Sound quality seems the same on
                them; the 350 simply comes with a volume control and mute button
                (which is far too easy to push). The earpieces aren't terribly
                comfortable and I find them fatiguing if I leave them on for more than
                an hour, but they sound okay and the mics are reasonable. I only use
                them for gaming, not for podcasting, but I know many podcasters do use
                them (including Dawn & Drew) and the sound comes out fine.

                http://www.escapepod.org
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                  On 11/30/06, Joel Haasnoot <joelhaasnoot@...> wrote:
                  > Have you tried the Logitech models? I have a Logitech Premium USB Headset
                  > 250, although the 350 might be a little better and is more expensive (has a
                  > volume control and better 'ear muffs').

                  The 350's earpieces are somewhat larger and the fake leather is just a
                  little bit softer. They're still not full-ear sized, so they sit on
                  top of your ear applying pressure, and I wouldn't call them completely
                  comfortable. (But then, my standard of comparison is the Sennheiser
                  HD280 Pro headphones, so that may not be fair.) >8->

                  Either pair will suit you fine for an hour or so of recording. I'd
                  use something better for post-production, however.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Paul Puri
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006

                    > I've since had rather good results with the Logitech headsets. I own
                    > both the Logitech 250 and the 350. Sound quality seems the same on
                    > them; the 350 simply comes with a volume control and mute button
                    > (which is far too easy to push). The earpieces aren't terribly
                    > comfortable and I find them fatiguing if I leave them on for more than
                    > an hour, but they sound okay and the mics are reasonable. I only use
                    > them for gaming, not for podcasting, but I know many podcasters do use
                    > them (including Dawn & Drew) and the sound comes out fine.

                    While not a big Mac user, I too can vouch for Logitech USB headsets. My only
                    recommendation is to not buy a cheap one. The cables are a tad bit too
                    delicate, and I had to replace a set shortly after a year. I just bought a
                    350, and it is pretty rock solid. The only gripe is as Steve said. The
                    earpieces seem to be designed for an infant, but I use them for gaming and
                    Skype. They sound pretty good, but I would not mix with them. That is best
                    reserved for a good set of headphones.

                    Paul Puri

                    Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                    The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                    http://podcastguild.com/

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Melissa Anelli
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                      I use a Mac (Titanium powerbook, as similar as can get to the MacBook pro)
                      and use the Plantronics DSP 400 in the USB jack and it's always been perfect
                      for us, and the rest of the podcasters, and I know the guys from MuggleCast
                      as well. I own a Logitech one, too, and I've always found that sound tinny
                      and echoey in comparison, not to mention for some reason it's not as
                      plug-and-play as the rest; it doesn't give me sound back in my ears in
                      Skype, and requires a lot of setting fixes. With the Plantronics, I just
                      plug it in and I'm done and it works with all the programs seamlessly - esp
                      Wire Tap when you can record the whole system or Audio Hijack when you can
                      mix and match. Ooh I'm getting all geeky. Gotta go.

                      Good luck!

                      Melissa

                      > On 11/30/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...<podcasters%40pilotcast.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I really would like to get decent headsets to make life simple. I guess
                      > > I have to give up on the idea of using a USB and go analog, at least on
                      > > my MacBook Pro which has decent audio ports. I wanted USB for remote
                      > > hosts that are using PCs where the audio sections may be iffy.
                      >
                      > Be aware that the MacBook Pro *does not* have a microphone jack. The
                      > input jack is a line-in or optical input *only*. I've been burned on
                      > this before; if you want to plug a standard mic into it you'll first
                      > need to run it through a mixer or iRiver or some other device to raise
                      > it to line level.
                      >
                      > USB headsets... Early on, when I was trying to get my podcast
                      > launched, I tried the $100 Plantronics headset and had really bad
                      > results. Lots of crackling, dropouts, and general badness. It might
                      > been bad configuration (I didn't know what I was doing then) or it
                      > might have been a lemon headset. I returned it, so I can't try again
                      > to find out.
                      >
                      > I've since had rather good results with the Logitech headsets. I own
                      > both the Logitech 250 and the 350. Sound quality seems the same on
                      > them; the 350 simply comes with a volume control and mute button
                      > (which is far too easy to push). The earpieces aren't terribly
                      > comfortable and I find them fatiguing if I leave them on for more than
                      > an hour, but they sound okay and the mics are reasonable. I only use
                      > them for gaming, not for podcasting, but I know many podcasters do use
                      > them (including Dawn & Drew) and the sound comes out fine.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Have Fun,
                      > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                      > http://www.escapepod.org

                    • Jake Ludington
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                        > While not a big Mac user, I too can vouch for Logitech USB
                        > headsets. My only recommendation is to not buy a cheap one.

                        Both Logitech and Plantronics are great options if you must use a PC
                        headset. In general, I lean toward Plantronics because headsets is what they
                        do. I used one of the older Plantronics models to do an entire 2 hour AM
                        radio show with no noticeable quality difference compared to being in
                        studio. Their DSP 550 sounds great (for a USB headset), is comfortable to
                        wear. It's a little sensitive in that it picks up things like keyboard noise
                        while typing, but I found it to be a great solution for the price.

                        http://www.jakeludington.com/gadget_envy/20060711_plantronics_dsp_550.html

                        Jake Ludington

                        http://www.jakeludington.com

                        Podcasting Starter Kit
                        http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                      • Pilot Mike
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                          Jake Ludington wrote:

                          > > While not a big Mac user, I too can vouch for Logitech USB
                          > > headsets. My only recommendation is to not buy a cheap one.
                          >
                          > Both Logitech and Plantronics are great options if you must use a PC
                          > headset. In general, I lean toward Plantronics because headsets is
                          > what they
                          > do. I used one of the older Plantronics models to do an entire 2 hour AM
                          > radio show with no noticeable quality difference compared to being in
                          > studio. Their DSP 550 sounds great (for a USB headset), is comfortable to
                          > wear. It's a little sensitive in that it picks up things like keyboard
                          > noise
                          > while typing, but I found it to be a great solution for the price.
                          >
                          > http://www.jakeludington.com/gadget_envy/20060711_plantronics_dsp_550.html
                          > <http://www.jakeludington.com/gadget_envy/20060711_plantronics_dsp_550.html>
                          >
                          > Jake Ludington

                          Thanks, Jake (and Tairy). I ordered the Plantronics DSP 550 - actually
                          two of them.
                          I had that one on my wishlist anyway. I use Plantronics headsets on my
                          work phones.

                          Thanks also, Steve Eley about the line level issue with analog. Doh! I
                          knew that but I would have let myself get burned.

                          I'm thinking at some point for a real quality pro setup I might go for a
                          Sennheiser HMD280 and use that with my M-Audio interface or my mixer. I
                          have the 280 headphone and it's nice, quality and fairly comfortable.

                          Pilots know headset comfort. In fact, we can use aviation headsets with
                          regular audio except for the mic part.

                          Joel, I'm recommending the Logitech 350 to my partners also if they can
                          get it locally.

                          We're starting a new show next week that will be roundtable sorta like
                          TWiT where we may have 6 other people show up from all over the
                          country. I'm getting them all set up to join in a Skype conference.
                          I'll see if I figure out how to get them all up at the same time in
                          spite of the 5 participant limit. I *think* I know how to pull that off
                          with multiple Macs and some creativity on the mixer. We'll see.

                          Thanks again, all.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                            On 12/1/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...> wrote:

                            > We're starting a new show next week that will be roundtable sorta like
                            > TWiT where we may have 6 other people show up from all over the
                            > country. I'm getting them all set up to join in a Skype conference.
                            > I'll see if I figure out how to get them all up at the same time in
                            > spite of the 5 participant limit. I *think* I know how to pull that off
                            > with multiple Macs and some creativity on the mixer. We'll see.

                            No longer necessary. First because the participant limit for a simple
                            conference has been increased to 10 with the latest version of Skype,
                            and second:

                            http://skypecasts.skype.com

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • Melissa Anelli
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
                              Careful with the SkypeCasts: I once tried to have a meeting with my top
                              level of Web site staff via SkypeCast, because we couldn't all fit in the
                              conference - we spent an hour punting random german and japanese cast
                              crashers out of the meeting. It was hilariuos, but also instructive on how
                              it's mayyyyyyybe not the best if you're podcasting or doing something
                              private.

                              > On 12/1/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...<podcasters%40pilotcast.com>>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > We're starting a new show next week that will be roundtable sorta like
                              > > TWiT where we may have 6 other people show up from all over the
                              > > country. I'm getting them all set up to join in a Skype conference.
                              > > I'll see if I figure out how to get them all up at the same time in
                              > > spite of the 5 participant limit. I *think* I know how to pull that off
                              > > with multiple Macs and some creativity on the mixer. We'll see.
                              >
                              > No longer necessary. First because the participant limit for a simple
                              > conference has been increased to 10 with the latest version of Skype,
                              > and second:
                              >
                              > http://skypecasts.skype.com
                              >
                              > --
                              > Have Fun,
                              > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                              > http://www.escapepod.org

                            • Shelly
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Melissa, that's been my experience, too. but it's been awhile for me. I
                                would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had good experiences
                                with it--recording a show, that is. Ideally, you could use Skypecast to
                                create the conference, and all record separately, but for those situations
                                in which that's not possible (I interviewed a lot of musicians when I was
                                producing iProng Radio, and there's no way we would be able to get them to
                                record) a three-to-five-way skypecast would be ideal in terms of logistics.
                                So what about it? I last used it in June. Has Skypecast gotten any better?

                                -shelly

                                On 12/1/06, Melissa Anelli <melanelli@...> wrote:

                                > Careful with the SkypeCasts: I once tried to have a meeting with my top
                                > level of Web site staff via SkypeCast, because we couldn't all fit in the
                                > conference - we spent an hour punting random german and japanese cast
                                > crashers out of the meeting. It was hilariuos, but also instructive on how
                                > it's mayyyyyyybe not the best if you're podcasting or doing something
                                > private.
                                >
                                > On 12/1/06, Stephen Eley <SFEley@... <SFEley%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On 12/1/06, Pilot Mike <podcasters@...<podcasters%40pilotcast.com>
                                > <podcasters%40pilotcast.com>>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > We're starting a new show next week that will be roundtable sorta like
                                > > > TWiT where we may have 6 other people show up from all over the
                                > > > country. I'm getting them all set up to join in a Skype conference.
                                > > > I'll see if I figure out how to get them all up at the same time in
                                > > > spite of the 5 participant limit. I *think* I know how to pull that
                                > off
                                > > > with multiple Macs and some creativity on the mixer. We'll see.
                                > >
                                > > No longer necessary. First because the participant limit for a simple
                                > > conference has been increased to 10 with the latest version of Skype,
                                > > and second:
                                > >
                                > > http://skypecasts.skype.com
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > Have Fun,
                                > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com> <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                                > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                                > > http://www.escapepod.org

                                Shelly Brisbin, podcast juggernaut

                                Shelly's Podcast: http://shellyspodcast.com
                                Hollywood On The Radio: http://hollywood.libsyn.com