Re: [podcasters] iRiver record sampling rate.

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      I agree with Stephen on getting an external mic. On my (mostly podfaded)
      audio blog, I used the built-in mic on my iRiver 795. If anyone cares to
      hear what that sounds like, the URL is http://audioblog.phantompower.org/ I
      wasn't looking to create something with high production values when I
      started the audio blog, so recording with the iRiver in this way made things
      easy. But if I begin recording updates again, I'm going to get an external
      mic to try and improve the sound quality.

      -Shawn

      > On 11/1/06, michael dean <kittyfeet70@...<kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      > > Is it stuck at 32 k, or can you set it to 44 k? 32 k is acceptable, but
      > 44 would be better.
      > > I see that you can record line in at 44, but how, if at all, can you set
      > voice recording rate at 44k?
      >
      > I'm looking at mine right now and it's set at 44.1 kHz in all modes:
      > voice, tuner and line/ext. mic. You set it like you'd set any other
      > slider control in that interface: move the little joystick down until
      > the desired setting is highlighted and then move the little joystick
      > to the right. The control interface is a pain to use, but with
      > practice you can eventually get proficient.
      >
      > If you want good sound out of it, though, I'd really suggest getting
      > an external mic and using it in that mode instead of relying on
      > "Voice" mode (which uses the tiny pinhole mic built into the iRiver.)
      >
      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
      > http://www.escapepod.org

    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

        > On 11/1/06, michael dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
        > > Is it stuck at 32 k, or can you set it to 44 k? 32 k is
        acceptable, but 44 would be better.
        > > I see that you can record line in at 44, but how, if at all, can
        you set voice recording rate at 44k?

        > I'm looking at mine right now and it's set at 44.1 kHz in all modes:
        > voice, tuner and line/ext. mic. You set it like you'd set any other
        > slider control in that interface: move the little joystick down until
        > the desired setting is highlighted and then move the little joystick
        > to the right. The control interface is a pain to use, but with
        > practice you can eventually get proficient.
        >
        > If you want good sound out of it, though, I'd really suggest getting
        > an external mic and using it in that mode instead of relying on
        > "Voice" mode (which uses the tiny pinhole mic built into the iRiver.)
        >
        > --
        > Have Fun,
        > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
        > http://www.escapepod.org

        =================

        Ok, thank you. I got it.

        Jesus, this thing has like 200 functions in four buttons. Genius.

        They probably did the firmware programing for slave labor wages
        too....Which is about five bucks an hour if you go to India.

        --Michael W. Dean

        ----------

        --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com

        --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
        http://www.askdollie.com

        --Casa De Llama Studio
        http://www.casadellama.com

        --My books and films:
        http://www.michaelwdean.com

        --other assorted crap:
        http://www.kittyfeet.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          On 11/1/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

          > They probably did the firmware programing for slave labor wages
          > too....Which is about five bucks an hour if you go to India.

          The temptation to argue with some of this is overwhelming, Miss
          Sunshine, but this is a podcasting list and I'm not going to put the
          energy into something so far off-topic.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Andy Bilodeau
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006

            > The temptation to argue with some of this is overwhelming, Miss
            > Sunshine, but this is a podcasting list and I'm not going to put the
            > energy into something so far off-topic.

            Thank you Steve.

            --
            Andy Bilodeau