iRiver spyware? Adware? Leave-me-the-fluck-alone-ware!

  • michael dean
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      I installed the iRiver software and now my firewall is asking me if I want to block connections to "Electronic arts SimCity 3000." I don't have SimCity. Is iRiver software laden with crap?

      Oh well, I guess that's just one more example of the advertising-based economy I was complaining about earlier today.

      --Michael W. Dean
      ---------------
      --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com

      --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
      http://www.askdollie.com

      --Casa De Llama Studio
      http://www.casadellama.com

      --My books and films:
      http://www.michaelwdean.com

      --other assorted crap:
      http://www.kittyfeet.com/

    • Andrew Darlow
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hi Michael:

        I'd recommend you take a look at how to turn the iRiver into a Mass
        storage device so that it does not need the iRiver software. It just
        mounts like any other flash drive. I have not done it but here is a
        link to the info. http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx

        Others on this list may be able to give you more advice.

        All the best,

        Andrew Darlow
        Andrew Darlow
        Editor, The Imaging Buffet
        http://www.imagingbuffet.com
        mailto:ad@...

        On Nov 1, 2006, at 7:35 PM, michael dean wrote:

        > I installed the iRiver software and now my firewall is asking me if
        > I want to block connections to "Electronic arts SimCity 3000." I
        > don't have SimCity. Is iRiver software laden with crap?
        >
        > Oh well, I guess that's just one more example of the advertising-
        > based economy I was complaining about earlier today.
        >
        > --Michael W. Dean
        > ---------------
        > --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
        > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        >
        > --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
        > http://www.askdollie.com
        >
        > --Casa De Llama Studio
        > http://www.casadellama.com
        >
        > --My books and films:
        > http://www.michaelwdean.com
        >
        > --other assorted crap:
        > http://www.kittyfeet.com/

      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Darlow <ad@...> wrote:

          > Hi Michael:
          >
          > I'd recommend you take a look at how to turn the iRiver into a Mass
          > storage device so that it does not need the iRiver software. It just
          > mounts like any other flash drive. I have not done it but here is a
          > link to the info. http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx
          >
          > Others on this list may be able to give you more advice.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Andrew Darlow
          > Andrew Darlow
          > Editor, The Imaging Buffet
          > http://www.imagingbuffet.com
          > mailto:ad@...
          >

          > On Nov 1, 2006, at 7:35 PM, michael dean wrote:
          >
          > > I installed the iRiver software and now my firewall is asking me if
          > > I want to block connections to "Electronic arts SimCity 3000." I
          > > don't have SimCity. Is iRiver software laden with crap?
          > >
          > > Oh well, I guess that's just one more example of the advertising-
          > > based economy I was complaining about earlier today.
          > >
          > > --Michael W. Dean
          > > ---------------
          > > --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
          > > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
          > >
          > > --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
          > > http://www.askdollie.com
          > >
          > > --Casa De Llama Studio
          > > http://www.casadellama.com
          > >
          > > --My books and films:
          > > http://www.michaelwdean.com
          > >
          > > --other assorted crap:
          > > http://www.kittyfeet.com/

          > >=============

          Thanks, man. Have you done it? Any problems? Anyhone else on here had
          any problems with it?

          I'm always wary of messing something up....firmware seems so much
          more...firm...than software.

          MWD
        • Michael W. Dean
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Darlow <ad@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael:
            >
            > I'd recommend you take a look at how to turn the iRiver into a Mass
            > storage device so that it does not need the iRiver software. It just
            > mounts like any other flash drive. I have not done it but here is a
            > link to the info. http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx
            >
            > Others on this list may be able to give you more advice.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Andrew Darlow
            > Andrew Darlow
            > Editor, The Imaging Buffet
            > http://www.imagingbuffet.com
            > mailto:ad@...

            ======

            Darn. That firmware update isn't for the iFP 790.
            The only iFP 790 firmware update I could find on the site is this
            http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ultra/125_iFP700.aspx
            which does not enable the USB mass storage feature work.

            MWD
          • Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
              Y'know, I use the exact same iRiver, with the included software, and
              I've never seen a spyware or adware problem from the iRiver Music
              Manager. I'm using version 3.16, and my iRiver ifp-790 firmware is
              1.65. Could your problem be from something else, and the timing is a
              coincidence?

              --
              Matthew Wayne Selznick
              ++++++++++++++++++

              "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
              http://www.bravemenrun.com

              "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
              http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

              MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
              http://www.mwsmedia.com
            • Michael W. Dean
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
                <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                > Y'know, I use the exact same iRiver, with the included software, and
                > I've never seen a spyware or adware problem from the iRiver Music
                > Manager. I'm using version 3.16, and my iRiver ifp-790 firmware is
                > 1.65. Could your problem be from something else, and the timing is a
                > coincidence?
                >
                > --
                > Matthew Wayne Selznick
                > ++++++++++++++++++
                > http://www.mattselznick.com
                >
                > "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
                > http://www.bravemenrun.com
                >
                > "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
                > http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com
                >
                > MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
                > http://www.mwsmedia.com

                =====
                It's possible. I assumed it was iRiver because it happened very very
                soon after installing the disc, and I hadn't installed any other
                software or downloaded anything that day.