Re: [podcasters] Lightsnake USB Intelligent Microphone Cable

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      On 11/1/06, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:

      > Well, I guess I'm looking to expand my equipment and have been
      > snorting around the Internet this morning. This looks interesting
      > as I could go with a laptop and a good Mic.
      >
      > http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lightsnake-usb-intelligent-microphone-cable-performs-xlr-alchemy-211530.php

      Actually, this looks like a bad idea to me. Note that it says nothing
      about phantom power, meaning it'll only work with dynamic mics.
      Condenser mics wouldn't do a thing on it.

      And as for the *quality* with those dynamic mics... I had a similar
      bright idea back when I was first about to start podcasting, back in
      the spring of 2005. I heard about something called the "MicPlug" from
      the MacMice company -- just a little plastic thing with an XLR jack on
      one side and a USB jack on the other. I figured, "Hey! No preamp
      needed. I can plug in my Shure SM57 for dirt cheap."

      It was a piece of crap. When I plugged it into the computer it
      registered as "USB Headset," so they'd obviously just taken the chip
      out of some generic headset and wired it to an XLR port. And there
      was no signal gain, so everything you tried with it came out *really*
      quiet, and when I boosted it in Audacity it was drowned in noise.

      I look at this LightSnake thing and I see something similar. This one
      does say it has a +20 signal booster, but with most dynamic mics that
      really isn't enough. And the SNR and dynamic range on it are really
      pretty bad, compared to real studio equipment.

      Your studio mic deserves better than this. I'd say give this a pass.

      http://www.escapepod.org