Lightsnake USB Intelligent Microphone Cable

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      Podcasters...

      Well, I guess I'm looking to expand my equipment and have been
      snorting around the Internet this morning. This looks interesting
      as I could go with a laptop and a good Mic.

      http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lightsnake-usb-intelligent-microphone-cable-performs-xlr-alchemy-211530.php

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging
      Sent: 11/1/2006 at 9:36 AM (-5 UCT)
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        On 11/1/06, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:

        > Well, I guess I'm looking to expand my equipment and have been
        > snorting around the Internet this morning. This looks interesting
        > as I could go with a laptop and a good Mic.
        >
        > http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lightsnake-usb-intelligent-microphone-cable-performs-xlr-alchemy-211530.php

        Actually, this looks like a bad idea to me. Note that it says nothing
        about phantom power, meaning it'll only work with dynamic mics.
        Condenser mics wouldn't do a thing on it.

        And as for the *quality* with those dynamic mics... I had a similar
        bright idea back when I was first about to start podcasting, back in
        the spring of 2005. I heard about something called the "MicPlug" from
        the MacMice company -- just a little plastic thing with an XLR jack on
        one side and a USB jack on the other. I figured, "Hey! No preamp
        needed. I can plug in my Shure SM57 for dirt cheap."

        It was a piece of crap. When I plugged it into the computer it
        registered as "USB Headset," so they'd obviously just taken the chip
        out of some generic headset and wired it to an XLR port. And there
        was no signal gain, so everything you tried with it came out *really*
        quiet, and when I boosted it in Audacity it was drowned in noise.

        I look at this LightSnake thing and I see something similar. This one
        does say it has a +20 signal booster, but with most dynamic mics that
        really isn't enough. And the SNR and dynamic range on it are really
        pretty bad, compared to real studio equipment.

        Your studio mic deserves better than this. I'd say give this a pass.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          If this thing will provide phantom power to the mic, I am so going to
          get one. My Maudio MobilePre is nice, but being able to drop that and
          use the lightsnake instead would lighten the load all that much more
          for mobile podcasts.

          Martin

          On 11/1/06, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
          > Podcasters...
          >
          > Well, I guess I'm looking to expand my equipment and have been
          > snorting around the Internet this morning. This looks interesting
          > as I could go with a laptop and a good Mic.
          >
          > http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lightsnake-usb-intelligent-microphone-cable-performs-xlr-alchemy-211530.php
          >
          > Dennis
          >
          > --
          > Dennis Hays