WAV files on iPods?

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
      Can an iPod play a WAV file?

      I want to add a very small (300 k) WAV file to our RSS feed. It's a
      file of my wife imitating an irritated baby hedgehog:
      http://www.askdollie.com/DollieBabyHedgehogComputerStartUpSond.wav

      We both use it on our computers for start up and shut-down sounds, and
      want to share that absurdity with others. But I don't know it iPods
      can play WAVs, and want to reflect the playability in the show notes.

      And at least on Windows, system sounds seem to need to be WAVs, not MP3s.

      Thank you,

      >Michael W. Dean

      --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com

      --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
      http://www.askdollie.com

      --Casa De Llama Studio
      http://www.casadellama.com

      --My books and films:
      http://www.michaelwdean.com

      --other assorted crap:
      http://www.kittyfeet.com/
    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
        I don't know about the product iPod, but it will not play on my mp3 player.

        Cheers -

        george

        --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

        > Can an iPod play a WAV file?
        >
        > I want to add a very small (300 k) WAV file to our RSS feed. It's a
        > file of my wife imitating an irritated baby hedgehog:
        > http://www.askdollie.com/DollieBabyHedgehogComputerStartUpSond.wav
        >
        > We both use it on our computers for start up and shut-down sounds, and
        > want to share that absurdity with others. But I don't know it iPods
        > can play WAVs, and want to reflect the playability in the show notes.
        >
        > And at least on Windows, system sounds seem to need to be WAVs, not MP3s.
        >

        > Thank you,
        >
        > >Michael W. Dean
        >
        > --"Clone The Homeless" podcast
        > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        >
        > --"Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama" podcast
        > http://www.askdollie.com
        >
        > --Casa De Llama Studio
        > http://www.casadellama.com
        >
        > --My books and films:
        > http://www.michaelwdean.com
        >
        > --other assorted crap:
        > http://www.kittyfeet.com/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        -------------------------------------

        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
          why not just covert it, michael?

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          ++++++++++++++++++

          "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
          http://www.bravemenrun.com

          "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
          http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

          MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
          http://www.mwsmedia.com

        • Shelly
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
            A WAV file will play on an iPod. Be ware of 8-bit WAV files like those
            created by k7 voicemail lines though. I've had lots of trouble with them,
            but a standard 16-bit stereo file should work just fine.

            --
            Shelly Brisbin, podcast juggernaut

            Shelly's Podcast: http://shellyspodcast.com
            iProng Radio: http://www.iprong.com
            Hollywood On The Radio: http://hollywood.libsyn.com
            Tracy-Hepburn Podcast: http://tracyhepburnpodcast.com

            Proud Member, Trypod Network: http://www.trypodnetwork.com

          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
              <mwselznick@...> wrote:

              > why not just covert it, michael?
              >
              > > Can an iPod play a WAV file?
              > >

              > --
              > Matthew Wayne Selznick
              > ++++++++++++++++++
              > http://www.mattselznick.com
              >
              > "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
              > http://www.bravemenrun.com
              >
              > "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
              > http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com
              >
              > MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
              > http://www.mwsmedia.com

              as a computer start-up sound (which I will explain in my show notes.)
              Windows start-up sounds have to be WAV not MP3. If I do it MP3, the
              subscribers will have to convert on their end to use as start up, and
              not everyone knows how to do that.

              Reason I want to know if iPods can play WAVs (I found contradictory
              info on the web, and do not own an iPod) is if they can't, I want to
              notate in the show notes that iPod users will be unable to play it on
              their iPod. Otherwise, the minority of subscribers who actually do the
              whole "synch to iPod" deal might end up with an unplayable file on
              their iPod in the morning, which will might confuse and peeve them
              unless I explain it in the show notes.
            • Kevin Crossman
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
                From:
                http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

                Audio
                Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
                Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from
                iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3
                and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV

                -Kevin

                Kevin Crossman
                The Frat Pack Tribute: Saluting Hollywood's Comedy Clique
                www.the-frat-pack.com
                Listen to our Podcast at www.fratpackpodcast.com

                On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:

                > Can an iPod play a WAV file?

              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Crossman <kevin@...> wrote:

                  > From:
                  > http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html
                  >
                  > Audio
                  > Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
                  > Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from
                  > iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3
                  > and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
                  >
                  > -Kevin
                  >
                  > Kevin Crossman
                  > The Frat Pack Tribute: Saluting Hollywood's Comedy Clique
                  > www.the-frat-pack.com
                  > Listen to our Podcast at www.fratpackpodcast.com
                  >
                  > On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:
                  >

                  > > Can an iPod play a WAV file?
                  > >=====
                  Cool. thank you.

                  I added it to RSS. That's the second smallest audio file I've ever
                  shared. (The smallest is a 70k MP3 of a very short song I did called
                  "Ivy."):
                  http://www.kittyfeet.com/ivy.mp3