Frustrations with Flash players

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
      I've tried just about all of the multi-episode Flash players that are out
      there, and I've had problems with all of them. The Odeo and Big Contact
      players (somehow) play an outdated, incorrect version of my RSS feed.
      Whenever I try and set up the Podcast Pickle player, it simply doesn't
      work. It won't actually display any of my shows. The Podcast Ready player
      seems to function OK, but for some reason, when I would add it to my
      CityBity or MySpace pages, there would be an unwanted empty space above the
      player where it was embedded. Again, not a functional problem, but it made
      my pages look bad. I bought the PRO version of the Pupu Player, and
      overall, I like it. But I've found out that, even if you disable autoplay,
      the player still downloads my podcast files in the background. This is
      possibly causing my download statistics to be artificially inflated, since
      every time someone loads the player, the player is downloading one of my
      podcasts, even though the podcast may not actually get played.

      I didn't necessarily write this because I'm looking for anyone's technical
      help with these issues. Mostly, this is just to vent. I have tech support
      requests into a couple of the above companies. Hopefully, they'll get back
      to me with some suggestions on how to make their players work better.

      /rant

      -Shawn
    • Andy Bilodeau
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
        On 10/30/06, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

        > I've tried just about all of the multi-episode Flash players that are
        > out
        > there, and I've had problems with all of them. The Odeo and Big Contact
        > players (somehow) play an outdated, incorrect version of my RSS feed.
        > Whenever I try and set up the Podcast Pickle player, it simply doesn't
        > work. It won't actually display any of my shows. The Podcast Ready player
        > seems to function OK, but for some reason, when I would add it to my
        > CityBity or MySpace pages, there would be an unwanted empty space above
        > the
        > player where it was embedded. Again, not a functional problem, but it made
        > my pages look bad. I bought the PRO version of the Pupu Player, and
        > overall, I like it. But I've found out that, even if you disable autoplay,
        > the player still downloads my podcast files in the background. This is
        > possibly causing my download statistics to be artificially inflated, since
        > every time someone loads the player, the player is downloading one of my
        > podcasts, even though the podcast may not actually get played.
        >
        > I didn't necessarily write this because I'm looking for anyone's technical
        > help with these issues. Mostly, this is just to vent. I have tech support
        > requests into a couple of the above companies. Hopefully, they'll get back
        > to me with some suggestions on how to make their players work better.
        >
        > /rant
        >
        > -Shawn

        Hey Shawn,

        I noticed you're using WordPress... have you checked out PodPress?
        I've only started using it and it's never let me down...

        Also, I ran your feed through the Feed Validator (
        http://www.feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hypernonsense.com%2F%3Ffeed%3Drss2)
        and it hiccupped on the Odeo flash players in the posts....

        I wonder if that's why the other players are messing up?

        --
        Andy Bilodeau
        PodCaster

        The AndyCast PodCast
        You'll laugh 'til you stop!
        http://www.andycast.net
        Skype : andybilodeau

      • P. Dilly
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
          I am not aware of anyone else having problems with the Pickle Player. Could
          you be more specific as to what is wrong. If their is a problem we would
          like to get it fixed. We fixed the myspace issue a month or so ago. You may
          want to recheck it. If it still does not work, please email us and tell us.
          We want it to work for you

          On 10/30/06, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

          > I've tried just about all of the multi-episode Flash players that are
          > out
          > there, and I've had problems with all of them. The Odeo and Big Contact
          > players (somehow) play an outdated, incorrect version of my RSS feed.
          > Whenever I try and set up the Podcast Pickle player, it simply doesn't
          > work. It won't actually display any of my shows. The Podcast Ready player
          > seems to function OK, but for some reason, when I would add it to my
          > CityBity or MySpace pages, there would be an unwanted empty space above
          > the
          > player where it was embedded. Again, not a functional problem, but it made
          > my pages look bad. I bought the PRO version of the Pupu Player, and
          > overall, I like it. But I've found out that, even if you disable autoplay,
          > the player still downloads my podcast files in the background. This is
          > possibly causing my download statistics to be artificially inflated, since
          > every time someone loads the player, the player is downloading one of my
          > podcasts, even though the podcast may not actually get played.
          >
          > I didn't necessarily write this because I'm looking for anyone's technical
          > help with these issues. Mostly, this is just to vent. I have tech support
          > requests into a couple of the above companies. Hopefully, they'll get back
          > to me with some suggestions on how to make their players work better.
          >
          > /rant
          >
          > -Shawn

          Gary leland

          www.podcastpickle.com
          www.sportpodcasts.com
          www.churchpodcasts.com
          www.scifipods.com
          www.picklemobile.com
          www.PicklesPodcastNews.com

        • her0_pr0tag0nist
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
            Shawn,

            My name is Bryan Haardt and I am the Vice President of Product
            Development at podcastready. Please feel free to contact me directly
            so I can assist you with the issues you are experiencing with the
            feedCaster widget. My email address is bryan@.... I look
            forward to your response and welcome any and all
            observations/recommendations concerning the player.

            Best,

            -b

            My name is Bryan Haardt and I am the VP of Product

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

            > I've tried just about all of the multi-episode Flash players that
            are out
            > there, and I've had problems with all of them. The Odeo and Big Contact
            > players (somehow) play an outdated, incorrect version of my RSS feed.
            > Whenever I try and set up the Podcast Pickle player, it simply doesn't
            > work. It won't actually display any of my shows. The Podcast Ready
            player
            > seems to function OK, but for some reason, when I would add it to my
            > CityBity or MySpace pages, there would be an unwanted empty space
            above the
            > player where it was embedded. Again, not a functional problem, but
            it made
            > my pages look bad. I bought the PRO version of the Pupu Player, and
            > overall, I like it. But I've found out that, even if you disable
            autoplay,
            > the player still downloads my podcast files in the background. This is
            > possibly causing my download statistics to be artificially inflated,
            since
            > every time someone loads the player, the player is downloading one of my
            > podcasts, even though the podcast may not actually get played.
            >
            > I didn't necessarily write this because I'm looking for anyone's
            technical
            > help with these issues. Mostly, this is just to vent. I have tech
            support
            > requests into a couple of the above companies. Hopefully, they'll
            get back
            > to me with some suggestions on how to make their players work better.
            >
            > /rant
            >
            > -Shawn

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
              First off, I'd like to thank Bryan from PodcastReady and P. Dilly from
              Podcast Pickle for offering to help me out. I'm going to be working on this
              later on in the week, and if needed, I will get in touch with them.

              Basically, I just want a multi-episode Flash player that I can embed onto
              sites like MySpace. A player that'll automatically update when new content
              is added to my feed, and I'd prefer to have a player that lets me turn off
              auto play. (Many players have auto play set as the default setting, and
              some won't let you turn it off.) Also, I'd like something that doesn't
              actually download a podcast file until it is requested. It appears to me
              that players like the Pupu Player download podcast files once the player is
              loaded into someone's web browser, regardless of whether or not that user
              has actually requested anything from the player.

              Getting away from those issues, I'm curious about the single-episode Flash
              player that appears to be part of PodPress. Does anyone know if this player
              also "pre-downloads" podcast files before the "play" button is pressed? I'm
              not just asking about auto-play. I understand that auto-play can be
              disabled with this player. But, I don't want files to be downloaded by my
              Flash pleyer until someone requests them. I know it might seem silly to
              care about that. But (like everyone else), I want my download stats to be
              as accurate as possible, and if every time someone loads my website, a
              podcast file is being downloaded in the background, that will artificially
              inflate my statistics. (This is the single-episode player I'm talking
              about, by the way:
              http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/)

              -Shawn

            • Todd Cochrane
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
                We have multi episode functionality with the Blubrry Player. It comes free
                with your account and can be placed on your page. It does autoplay when
                launched but it comes up as a separate window. If you want a player that
                does not play that shows all of your episodes the Wimpy player does this as
                well.

                http://www.geeknewscentral.com/podcasts

                www.Blubrry.com

                _____