Are there any reasons I SHOULDN'T use Feedburner?

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
      I've been handcoding my RSS podcast feeds for the past two weeks, but
      I'm thinking of switching to Feedburner. Are there any reasons I
      SHOULDN'T use Feedburner? Does the service have issues? Are there
      better ways to create your podcast feeds? I'll probably be using
      Blogger's self-generated Atom feed with Feedburner.

      Harold
      http://SomethingthatHappened.com
    • podcat5
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
        good question. i've been using feedburner and it seems to be
        working just fine. i've had a few issues with my stuff posting to
        audio.weblogs.com, and for all i know, this could be due to
        feedburner... i really don't know. it does seem like feedburner
        takes at least a few minutes to update.

        as an aside, what goes wrong if the enclosures are created with the
        incorrect "size" value. for instance, the file is 10mb, but you say
        it's only 5 mb. something i've been curious about...

        ~cat
        podcat.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
          Yeah, I've wondered that same thing! I wouldn't mess with that,
          though--at the least, it'd piss off your listeners.

          The Feedburner FAQ says it checks for updated feeds every 30 minutes.
          So that's probably why you're not seeing your feed right away. I
          think.

          On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 02:13:26 -0000, podcat5 <podcat@...> wrote:

          > good question. i've been using feedburner and it seems to be
          > working just fine. i've had a few issues with my stuff posting to
          > audio.weblogs.com, and for all i know, this could be due to
          > feedburner... i really don't know. it does seem like feedburner
          > takes at least a few minutes to update.
          >
          > as an aside, what goes wrong if the enclosures are created with the
          > incorrect "size" value. for instance, the file is 10mb, but you say
          > it's only 5 mb. something i've been curious about...
          >
          > ~cat
          > podcat.com
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
          >

          > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
          > > I've been handcoding my RSS podcast feeds for the past two weeks,
          > but
          > > I'm thinking of switching to Feedburner. Are there any reasons I
          > > SHOULDN'T use Feedburner? Does the service have issues? Are there
          > > better ways to create your podcast feeds? I'll probably be using
          > > Blogger's self-generated Atom feed with Feedburner.
          > >
          > > Harold
          > > http://SomethingthatHappened.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • TDavid
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
            Hi Harold,

            We've not used Feedburner yet, but I've only heard positive things
            about them. We simply prefer to monitor and host our own RSS feeds.
            I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying them out someday though.

            One potential downside to any third party hosted RSS feed setup is
            that if they should ever go down (and nobody is 100% uptime on the
            web -- even your own hosting company -- so don't believe anybody
            that says they guarantee 100% uptime) and you aren't redirecting
            from your server to them then nobody will get your content. If they
            were down or go out of business (like bloghosts just did) then you
            could easily change your redirection to a feed on your own site and
            never miss a beat with subscribers having to change their RSS feed
            link in their aggregators.

            I would definitely use a redirection from a link on your site to
            them rather than giving people a straight link to feedburner. This
            way your site is always in the loop in the process, but you'll still
            get the added bonus of their stats and they'll take the bandwith
            burden.

            Hope that helps,

            TDavid
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
              Thanks TDavid,

              You've echoed some of the concerns I was having. I'm just learning
              how to read the original log files for my hosted site, which is hosted
              by 1&1. There's quite a bit of information there--probably the same
              amount of info. I would be able to see in Feedburner, right? I
              imagine Feedburner would simply present the info. in a more readable
              (and usable) format?

              Harold

              On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 05:49:55 -0000, TDavid <tdavid@...> wrote:

              > Hi Harold,
              >
              > We've not used Feedburner yet, but I've only heard positive things
              > about them. We simply prefer to monitor and host our own RSS feeds.
              > I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying them out someday though.
              >
              > One potential downside to any third party hosted RSS feed setup is
              > that if they should ever go down (and nobody is 100% uptime on the
              > web -- even your own hosting company -- so don't believe anybody
              > that says they guarantee 100% uptime) and you aren't redirecting
              > from your server to them then nobody will get your content. If they
              > were down or go out of business (like bloghosts just did) then you
              > could easily change your redirection to a feed on your own site and
              > never miss a beat with subscribers having to change their RSS feed
              > link in their aggregators.
              >
              > I would definitely use a redirection from a link on your site to
              > them rather than giving people a straight link to feedburner. This
              > way your site is always in the loop in the process, but you'll still
              > get the added bonus of their stats and they'll take the bandwith
              > burden.
              >
              > Hope that helps,
              >
              > TDavid
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Eric Lunt
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2004
                Hey all. FeedBurner will look at your feed every 30 minutes to
                refresh, so it can take that long before a new entry shows up in your
                "burned" feed. You can also "ping" us to instantly update your feed:
                check out http://forums.feedburner.com/viewtopic.php?t=13 for a tip on
                how to use Ping-o_Matic to do that.

                The enclosure elements that are generated from the SmartCast service
                is actually obtained by performing a HEAD request on the resource
                itself, so hopefully the server is returning the correct values!

                Finally, I feel it's only fair to note that while FeedBurner will save
                you some bandwidth by absorbing all of the people that hit your feed,
                we do not (at this point) do any kind of rewrite or caching of the
                resource itself (the actual payload of the enclosure). We've talked
                about offering a service where FeedBurner would create a torrent for
                you on its way through FeedBurner, but there's nothing there yet, so
                at this point you'll still have to have enough bandwidth to field all
                of the requests for the enclosure.

                Hope that helps! We just launched some support forums at
                http://forums.feedburner.com if anyone has any more questions. Enjoy
                your podcasting!

                Eric Lunt
                FeedBurner