Re: [podcasters] Re: Simple podcast content creation service

  • Pete Prodoehl
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
      andrew clarke wrote:

      >>>Thanks for the tip! Has anyone tried it? Does it use much CPU time?
      >>
      >>You'll have to play with the settings but:
      >>
      >> lame -q 0 -b 160 message1.wav message1.mp3
      >>
      >>Has been working well in my testing.
      >
      > Presumably voice mail is mono, not stereo, or even if it is stereo you
      > could get away with monoaural sound for voice audio, so you can tell
      > LAME to encode in mono and as a result cut the bitrate/file size in half
      > for the same audio quality:
      >
      > lame -q 0 -b 80 -mm message1.wav message1.mp3
      >
      > (Incidentally I use "lame -h" instead of "lame -q 0" as that's what
      > "lame --longhelp" recommends, but this is probably insignificant).
      >

      >>Relatively quick for small files, and of course the bigger the file, the
      >>more cpu/time it'll take.
      >

      > Encoding mono mp3s should also reduce the encoding time to near half
      > the time it took to encode the same file in stereo.

      Ah, thanks for the tips! I've only started experimenting more with lame
      on the command line, so pointers are much appreciated.

      Pete
    • Eric Rice
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        For what it's worth, phone posts through our system are encoded with basic ID3v2 data.
        We've also made reasonable efforts to support podcasting by giving users the option to
        send the MP3 link (with rel=enclosure for feedburner). I occasionally do audioblogging
        instead of podcasting, and I'll be doing this on vacation. It all ends up in the same place.
        So, the dog food's being eaten. ;-)

        Eric Rice
        ericrice.com/podcast
        audioblog.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Marcus Cristenson" <marcusc@g...> wrote:

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Pete Prodoehl <pete@r...> wrote:
        > > Hey, I'm working on something similar! Just for myself though...
        >
        > For single users audioblog.com almost does it. I miss a local
        > phonenumber in my area for offline posting though. For multiple users
        > the audioblog.com Acceptable Use Policy states "6. I acknowledge
        > that my Audioblog membership cannot be transferred or used by anyone
        > other than me. I understand that any membership found in violation
        > shall be subject to immediate termination." To bad.
        >
        > > I've found that the voicemail providers I looked at use gsm or wav,
        > but
        > > you can convert to MP3 using Lame once on your own server.
        >
        > Thanks for the tip! Has anyone tried it? Does it use much CPU time?
        >
        > > What will you be using to automate the application of ID3 metadata?
        >
        > Still looking for a solution. I want it to use caller id to identify
        > the user, fetch the user info from the user profile and ad it as a
        > ID3 tag.
        >
        > > Re: Skype - What, no SIP? ;)
        >
        > Hmm, of course... forgot about that... :)
        >
        > /Marcus
      • Doug Moore
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          We just upgraded our daily podcast from using audioblogger.com to
          audioblog.com. Loads better.. Longer post time. id3 tags.. It is
          Cheap and Easy!!

          Doug
          Clint and Doug's Craptagular Spectucular
          feed - http://feeds.feedburner.com/Mypodcast
          address - http://www.clintanddoug.info