Podcasting

  • bdubois250
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
      I am interested in podcasting.

      I need a recorder. I would like to record internet radio.

      Is there free podcast hosting?

      What ftp program should I use?

      I would appreciate any help.
    • David McGraw
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
        Free Podcast hosting at http://www.vitalpodcasts.com!

        Thanks,
        David McGraw

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
          On 10/10/06, bdubois250 <bdubois250@...> wrote:
          > I am interested in podcasting.
          > I need a recorder. I would like to record internet radio.
          > Is there free podcast hosting?
          > What ftp program should I use?
          > I would appreciate any help.

          Welcome, bdubois (and your 249 forebears),

          The first thing I'd advise is this: get ye hence to your local
          bookstore or library and pick up _Podcasting for Dummies_ by Evo Terra
          and Tee Morris. It'll answer all your initial questions and more.

          The second thing is to be clear about whether you intend to do
          podcasting or whether you'd prefer to do Internet radio. They're two
          different things; Internet radio is live streaming, whereas podcasting
          is putting files up for download and listening to later. Since you
          want to "record" something, I'm assuming you don't actually mean
          Internet radio.

          There is plenty of free podcast hosting (just Google on "free
          podcasting hosting," sensibly enough) -- it has its advantages and
          disadvantages. There's time to deal with that later. First pick up a
          podcasting book, figure out your content, produce some media, and then
          you'll know a bit more and you'll be able to make some informed
          decisions about where to put it.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Jack Hosley
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
            Please heed these wise words!
            WNDRWolf
            http://wanderradio.com

            > On 10/10/06, bdubois250 <bdubois250@... <bdubois250%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > I am interested in podcasting.
            > > I need a recorder. I would like to record internet radio.
            > > Is there free podcast hosting?
            > > What ftp program should I use?
            > > I would appreciate any help.
            >
            > Welcome, bdubois (and your 249 forebears),
            >
            > The first thing I'd advise is this: get ye hence to your local
            > bookstore or library and pick up _Podcasting for Dummies_ by Evo Terra
            > and Tee Morris. It'll answer all your initial questions and more.
            >
            > The second thing is to be clear about whether you intend to do
            > podcasting or whether you'd prefer to do Internet radio. They're two
            > different things; Internet radio is live streaming, whereas podcasting
            > is putting files up for download and listening to later. Since you
            > want to "record" something, I'm assuming you don't actually mean
            > Internet radio.
            >
            > There is plenty of free podcast hosting (just Google on "free
            > podcasting hosting," sensibly enough) -- it has its advantages and
            > disadvantages. There's time to deal with that later. First pick up a
            > podcasting book, figure out your content, produce some media, and then
            > you'll know a bit more and you'll be able to make some informed
            > decisions about where to put it.
            >
            > --
            > Have Fun,
            > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
            > http://www.escapepod.org

          • Michael Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
              Ahh, thanks Dan. I have dealt with these numerous times at the church I guess I never knew the actual terms. Except for the condenser mic of course. Thanks for the easy explanation. I just purchased the edirol r-09hr today and can't wait for it to come in.
              Thank you to everyone else who contributed to my question as well.

              Mike
              Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
              The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
              A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

                From: Dan Hughes <danhughes@juno. com>

                To: serviceyourac@ yahoo.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Don't worry, it's not like the same thing hasn't happened to most of the
                  rest of us too. Dozens of times.

                  Martin

                  Martin McKeay, CISSP, QSA, GSNA
                  Host of the Network Security Blog and Podcast
                  http://www.mckeay.net
                  Cell: 707-495-7926

                  On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Michael Johnson <serviceyourac@...>wrote:

                  > I just realized I should have sent that last message to dan instead of the
                  > list. doh!
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Mike
                  > Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
                  > The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
                  > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at
                  > crosscampusministry.com

                • wats up
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                    We started podcasting via pre-recording and i wanted to know if anyone had any advice about how to change my platform to live feed. Also i would like to know a little more about any good equipment out there. I am now using the blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting software sucks so far.. Abelton, any suggestions.

                    Thanks
                    The Interrupters
                  • Dan Hughes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                      "I am now using the blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting
                      software sucks so far."

                      "Seem" to love it? Meaning you're not sure? What software do you use, and
                      how does it suck?

                      ---Dan

                    • David Jackson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                        Why do you think going live will be better?

                        Dave Jackson
                        Www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                        On Jan 13, 2011 7:55 AM, "wats up" <infoman5843@...> wrote:
                        > We started podcasting via pre-recording and i wanted to know if anyone had
                        any advice about how to change my platform to live feed. Also i would like
                        to know a little more about any good equipment out there. I am now using the
                        blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting software sucks so far..
                        Abelton, any suggestions.

                        > Thanks
                        > The Interrupters

                      • Charley Hays
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                          I'm with Dave re: the question about live podcasting.
                          As far as equipment, that question is pretty vague. It really depends on
                          what your individual needs are, and what your budget is. It sounds like you
                          have multiple hosts, are you in the same room, or on skype? Things like
                          that are necessary factors to help you find out the best equipment within
                          your budget.

                          On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...>wrote:

                          > Why do you think going live will be better?
                          >
                          > Dave Jackson
                          > Www.schoolofpodcasting.com <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/>
                          > On Jan 13, 2011 7:55 AM, "wats up" <infoman5843@...<infoman5843%40yahoo.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          > > We started podcasting via pre-recording and i wanted to know if anyone
                          > had
                          > any advice about how to change my platform to live feed. Also i would like
                          > to know a little more about any good equipment out there. I am now using
                          > the
                          > blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting software sucks so far..
                          > Abelton, any suggestions.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > > The Interrupters

                          Charley Hays
                          web: www.hayscreativemedia.com
                          podcast: www.crossdrivenradio.com
                          skype: charley_hays
                          twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

                        • Shawn Thorpe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                            Overall, I've had good experiences using ustream.tv for live streaming of
                            audio (ustream also does video).

                            As others have pointed out, you need to provide more details about your
                            needs before anyone can give you valid suggestions for gear/software.

                            --
                            -Shawn Thorpe
                            http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it

                          • Calvin Powers
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011
                              On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...>wrote:

                              > Why do you think going live will be better?
                              >
                              > Dave Jackson
                              > Www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                              For Taproot Radio <http://www.taprootradio.com/>, I have an internet music
                              stream, a live radio show on Monday nights at 9pm eastern on
                              WCOM<http://wcomfm.org>,
                              and a podcast<http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/taproot-radio-podcast/id389702845>.
                              At least for me, the live radio show has a much more intimate, direct
                              connection to the audience feel to it. Your mileage may vary of course. But
                              my experience has been that it's very difficult to imitate a live show by
                              prerecording bits and mixing them together. So I can understand why someone
                              would want to do a live show.

                              I am in the process of putting together a new podcast and I have also been
                              wanting to do this one "live to tape," i.e. record and mix the whole thing
                              in real time and then send it out on the RSS feed as a downloadable episode.
                              This has been a lot harder to do thane a mixed show.

                              Just as an example, for my current podcast, I'll script it out and record
                              all the talk sets. Then I'll pull them into audacity and fix their levels,
                              compress the sound a bit and remove the noise and the result sounds pretty
                              darn good. But with a live to tape show, I have to get everything just right
                              before I hit the record and getting sufficient gain in my dynamic microphone
                              without injecting a bunch of hiss has proven to be very difficult.

                              Also, live telephone interviews will be a big part of the new show and
                              coming up with a way to mix in calls in real-time is still a big challenge
                              for me. I've learned the basics of getting a "Mix minus" set up working, but
                              I am still having trouble getting the levels and sound quality right.

                              Even simple things can have a bunch of gotchas. For example, I patched the
                              headphone out from my laptop into the mixing board and it worked just fine
                              so i can mix in music tracks like the opening and closing theme music. But
                              my mic stand on the desk picked up the faint hum of the laptop hard drive.
                              At first I thought it was electrical DC hum but it wasn't. It turned out to
                              e a strictly mechanical thing. The vibration of the laptop hard drive made
                              the wooden desk hum ever so slightly which was picked up by the microphone.
                              So no the laptop and its power supply have to sit on a foam pad. It's one of
                              those things you'd never notice. But once it gets recorded, somehow it
                              sticks out like a sore thumb.

                              Is it worth all the trouble doing "live to tape"? I'm not sure it is, but
                              you sure will learn a lot about sound engineering along the way. :) I agree
                              with the previous suggestions that using ustream.tv or maybe even Talk Shoe
                              might e a good intermediate step.

                            • C. Hatton Humphrey
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011

                                > I am in the process of putting together a new podcast and I have also been
                                > wanting to do this one "live to tape," i.e. record and mix the whole thing
                                > in real time and then send it out on the RSS feed as a downloadable
                                > episode.
                                > This has been a lot harder to do thane a mixed show.

                                You're describing what I do via Talkshoe every week... only my show isn't so
                                scripted ;)

                                I have a VoIP client dial in as my mixer and then I call in with the phone.
                                Granted, the audio quality is not what it could be if I used VoIP to dial
                                in but I also have $0 hardware invested.

                                The rough part is when there are things that need to be edited for whatever
                                reason... 5 year olds that don't want to go to sleep, people dialing in for
                                the sheer act of harassing myself and my co-host (which happens because of
                                our subject matter), mixer problems, etc. I have to "hide" the episode,
                                download it, edit it in audacity, re-save as MP3, re-upload and then "show"
                                it.

                                Because I have a stand-alone site for the show I also have to create a blog
                                post with the link, let Feedburner update and voila!

                                In the past I've been told that's, "turn-key podcasting"... works for me
                                whatever it is! We just started on our fourth year of episodes so
                                somethings working right!

                                Hatton
                                http://www.eastcoastconservative.com