PME II!!!

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
      One giant, grateful, heart-felt, love-filled, exhausted, voice-gone
      shout-out to everyone on the list I had the pleasure to meet at the
      Portable Media and Podcast Expo 2006!

      Once I process, I'll be posting an overview at my blog... suffice to
      say it was twice as big and twenty times the celebration as PME 2005.
      Can a convention be warm and fuzzy? Apparently.

      Please, please, please, everyone... if you haven't made it yet, I urge
      you to attend PME 2007. It's worth every moment.

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      ++++++++++++++++++

      "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
      http://www.bravemenrun.com

      "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
      http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

      MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
      http://www.mwsmedia.com
    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
        --- Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

        > One giant, grateful, heart-felt, love-filled, exhausted, voice-gone
        > shout-out to everyone on the list I had the pleasure to meet at the
        > Portable Media and Podcast Expo 2006!
        >
        > Once I process, I'll be posting an overview at my blog... suffice to
        > say it was twice as big and twenty times the celebration as PME 2005.
        > Can a convention be warm and fuzzy? Apparently.
        >
        > Please, please, please, everyone... if you haven't made it yet, I urge
        > you to attend PME 2007. It's worth every moment.

        Matthew -

        I've heard a lot of good stories about the parties and people getting drunk, so
        it sounds like a good time. However, I have yet to hear any comments on the
        sessions, which is where my interest would be, which is why I think I may try
        to get to Podcamp in Pittsburgh.

        Were any of the educational portions of the event worthwhile?

        Cheers -

        george

        -------------------------------------

        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
          On 10/1/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
          > I've heard a lot of good stories about the parties and people getting drunk, so
          > it sounds like a good time.

          Much more than just people getting drunk (you can do that at home.)
          This was an occassion for people who have been collegues to meet
          face-to-face for the first time. Relationships were strengthened,
          partnerships instigated, networks woven... and friendships forged.

          > However, I have yet to hear any comments on the
          > sessions, which is where my interest would be, which is why I think I may try
          > to get to Podcamp in Pittsburgh.

          Most of the sessions seemed geared toward beginning podcasters,
          monetization, SEO, and the like. I didn't pay to attend the
          sessions... someone who did, step forward and tell us your
          impressions, please!

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          ++++++++++++++++++
          http://www.mattselznick.com

          "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
          http://www.bravemenrun.com

          "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
          http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

          MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
          http://www.mwsmedia.com
        • michael
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
            > Most of the sessions seemed geared toward beginning podcasters,
            > monetization, SEO, and the like. I didn't pay to attend the
            > sessions... someone who did, step forward and tell us your
            > impressions, please!
            >
            > --
            > Matthew Wayne Selznick
            > ++++++++++++++++++

            I didn't pay either, but it was pretty easy to sneak into them....We
            just acted like we were supposed to be there and walked into a few of
            the sessions. Usual tech convention "wave of the future" marketing
            mumbo jumbo you'd expect.

            --TD
          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
              I am pretty disappointed to see this. Tim and his company TNC Media spend a
              great deal of money to put on the show. Then to hear that people were
              sneaking into the sessions without having paid is an insult to the work Tim
              and his Team did. I was a speaker but guess what I had paid for a full
              conference ticket.

              Todd.

              _____

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                Being a first time attendee, I would have never have thought to
                sneak somewhere that I should not have been. I enjoyed the expo and
                will be attending next year, but I was disappoited to se that others
                were taking advantage.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Cochrane" <geeknews@...>

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                  I'll echo the comments about freeloading. Bad karma...

                  I don't know what sessions you attended, but the vast majority that I
                  attended were filled with tons of great advice, practical tips, and
                  other great ways to make my podcasts better. Certainly not much "wave
                  of the future mumbo jumbo" (unfortunately a couple of the keynotes
                  veered into this territory, however).

                  Highlights for me were Dave Jackson, Craig Schoemaker, and Jason Van
                  Orden (I didn't attend Doug Kaye's but saw this at Podcast Academy 3
                  it was great). I'm looking forward to hearing the audio of some of
                  the panel discussions that I missed because there were too many great
                  topics to be in two places at once!

                  -Kevin

                  Kevin Crossman
                  The Frat Pack Tribute: Saluting Hollywood's Comedy Clique
                  www.the-frat-pack.com
                  Listen to our Podcast at www.fratpackpodcast.com

                  On Oct 1, 2006, at 6:21 PM, michael wrote:

                  > > Most of the sessions seemed geared toward beginning podcasters,
                  > > monetization, SEO, and the like. I didn't pay to attend the
                  > > sessions... someone who did, step forward and tell us your
                  > > impressions, please!
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  > > ++++++++++++++++++
                  >
                  > I didn't pay either, but it was pretty easy to sneak into them....We
                  > just acted like we were supposed to be there and walked into a few of
                  > the sessions. Usual tech convention "wave of the future" marketing
                  > mumbo jumbo you'd expect.
                  >
                  > --TD

                • michael
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Cochrane" <geeknews@...> wrote:

                    > I am pretty disappointed to see this. Tim and his company TNC Media
                    spend a
                    > great deal of money to put on the show. Then to hear that people were
                    > sneaking into the sessions without having paid is an insult to the
                    work Tim
                    > and his Team did. I was a speaker but guess what I had paid for a full
                    > conference ticket.
                    >

                    > Todd.
                    >

                    > _____

                    =====================

                    Ahhhhh.....It's not like we took seats away from paying
                    customers....There were plenty of seats, and we stayed only a few
                    minutes at each one. I kinda look at it like downloading trial
                    software to see what I'll buy next year. (Though I'll probably not be
                    allowed next year, even if I pay.)

                    Did you really have to pay even though you were a speaker? I've never
                    heard of something like that at a convention. I always get a full
                    ticket when I'm asked to speak at a convention, at least.

                    Or did you ***choose*** to pay, to help the cause?

                    Anyway, I'm sure there were some good ones, and I'm just a persnickity
                    johnny-come-lately who's been podcasting for about six weeks. Ignore me.

                    Carry on..........
                    ---------------
                    --ThornDaddy

                    "Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama"
                    http://www.askdollie.com
                  • I Print Stickers
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                      I wouldnt cry over spilt milk.
                      I'd be willing to bet the every one of the speakers would be
                      flattered to know that an attendee would sneak in just to hear them
                      speak.
                      Jasper

                      > I am pretty disappointed to see this. Tim and his company TNC Media
                      > spend a
                      > great deal of money to put on the show. Then to hear that people were
                      > sneaking into the sessions without having paid is an insult to the
                      > work Tim
                      > and his Team did. I was a speaker but guess what I had paid for a full
                      > conference ticket.
                      >
                      > Todd.
                      >
                      > _____

                    • George L Smyth
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                        --- Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                        > On 10/1/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                        > > I've heard a lot of good stories about the parties and people getting
                        > drunk, so
                        > > it sounds like a good time.
                        >
                        > Much more than just people getting drunk (you can do that at home.)
                        > This was an occassion for people who have been collegues to meet
                        > face-to-face for the first time. Relationships were strengthened,
                        > partnerships instigated, networks woven... and friendships forged.
                        >
                        > > However, I have yet to hear any comments on the
                        > > sessions, which is where my interest would be, which is why I think I may
                        > try
                        > > to get to Podcamp in Pittsburgh.
                        >
                        > Most of the sessions seemed geared toward beginning podcasters,
                        > monetization, SEO, and the like. I didn't pay to attend the
                        > sessions... someone who did, step forward and tell us your
                        > impressions, please!

                        Matthew -

                        I'm not sure how to say it without sounding like I'm a prude or tea totaler
                        (after all, I did my very first One Minute How-To on How To Prepare A Guinness
                        For Consumption), but nearly everything I've heard so far about PME has
                        concerned contests based upon who could drink the most. I did that back in
                        college, and it's been long enough ago to become something that just doesn't
                        interest me.

                        I know that PME is not all about drinking, so I'm hoping that someone who did
                        more than that can offer their positive (or negative) experiences outside of
                        that area. Podcastercon 2006 (which unfortunately may not happen until Fall
                        2007) was an excellent opportunity for networking and learning, and that's
                        where my personal interest lies.

                        Cheers -

                        george

                        -------------------------------------

                        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                      • Paul Puri
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                          I know that PME is not all about drinking, so I'm hoping that someone who did
                          more than that can offer their positive (or negative) experiences outside of
                          that area. Podcastercon 2006 (which unfortunately may not happen until Fall
                          2007) was an excellent opportunity for networking and learning, and that's
                          where my personal interest lies.
                          ----------------------------

                          George,

                          You will get many different views as to what the expo was about for them. I did a little drinking. The amount of drinks I consumed could be counted with just one hand. But I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

                          I went to the PME to represent the Podcast Guild, make friends, network, and strengthen relationships. Mission accomplished. I got to meet Mr. Eley, Mr. Selznick, Mr. Cochrane, Miss Peter, and an assortment of trouble makers from this list. The Guild had its first face to face meeting, I played a card game until 4am, and I got to participate in a Slice of Sci Fi show. I attended parties, hung out and chatted for hours, met software and hardware vendors, and fell asleep in strange places. I would highly recommend attending next year George, and I would look forward to meeting you.

                          Here is to all the friends I made this year, and I look forward to next year, and the years to come.

                          Who is going to Podcamp San Francisco?

                          Paul Puri

                          Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                          Visit the Podcast Guild for more info.
                          http://podcastguild.org/

                          The P3 Show: http://p3show.com
                          The P3 Show Feed: http://p3show.libsyn.com/rss

                          Promotion without shame.
                          Podcasting Announcements

                        • Tee Morris
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                            On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:21 PM, michael wrote:

                            > Usual tech convention "wave of the future" marketing mumbo jumbo
                            > you'd expect.

                            As one of the speakers, thanks for the glowing endorsement concerning
                            my mumbo jumbo talk.

                            Sorry if I sound snippy, but I'm all out of whack time zone wise, but
                            the keynotes from Leo Laporte and Ron Moore along with many of the
                            presentations were put together with a lot of hard work, research,
                            and heart. Reducing it to "mumbo jumbo" really isn't fair. I've been
                            podcasting for over a year, co-wrote Podcasting for Dummies, and I
                            learned a lot about people, practices, and podcasting in the
                            weekend. It was a tremendous experience!

                            On the Expo Floor, yeah, everyone was pitching something, but there
                            was some really cool live recording. Props to the LA Podcasters for
                            having a dynamic booth. I loved the look of their booth. Bias (of
                            Peak and Sound soap) had a terrific demo booth as well.

                            I'm still processing it all while sorting out notes for the class I'm
                            teaching tonight on podcasting. It was a real joy and delight
                            meeting everyone, and collecting LOTS and LOTS of business cards.
                            Got a lot of catching up to do.

                            Enjoy the Ride,

                            Tee Morris
                            co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
                            ----------------------------

                            The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
                            A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
                            FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

                            Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

                            -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

                            MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
                            An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
                            FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
                            FORM) PODCAST

                            Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
                            PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
                          • Evo Terra
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006

                              Geo,

                              While I did a significant amount of partying at the conference, I did a
                              lot more networking, a bit of learning and quite a bit of "deal making".

                              The talk Steve Eley and I gave on "Podcasting the Written Word" was well
                              attended and, judging from the reaction of the audience and several
                              comments received by attendees afterwards, well received. My wife (and
                              fellow podcaster on The Dragon Page With Class) spent much of her show
                              time in a variety of panels and lectures focusing on podcasting and
                              education and reported that much knowledge was derived during said sessions.

                              The networking opportunities are simply stellar. As stated, it is *the*
                              place to be in podcasting, and everyone I found was more than happy to
                              carve out some personal one-on-one time to share with another. I'll be
                              transcribing business cards for a few weeks.

                              The PME is also a great place, IMHO, to get some "business" done. I
                              managed to corner Rob Greenlee from Melodeo for 15 minutes and we worked
                              out a kink in the system rather quickly. Podiobooks.com titles will
                              start showing up to his user base very soon. I met up with the smart
                              guys from PodcodcastVoices in the UK and will have a proposal on their
                              desk in a few days. Firmed up some loose ends with Kiptronic and LibSyn,
                              provided insight on an in-development business plan and lined up a few
                              post-convention interviews.

                              It's also an incredible place to get some partying done. The nice thing
                              is -- you can do both! The parties aren't all about drinking, though a
                              considerable amount of ETOH in various forms was consumed by many of the
                              attendees. But don't get the impression it was a drunken frat party.
                              There certainly were "intense" moments of many parties, but if that's
                              not your style, drift down the hall to the next, and perhaps more low
                              key, event. Or better yet, turn in early so your fresh for the next day.
                              Gods know I certainly should have. :)

                              Put the PME on your list for next year. As you say, "it's not all about
                              drinking". If Father Roderick can attend (Super nice guy. Huge scifi
                              geek. We talked for quite a while.) the same conference and both walk
                              around with huge smiles on our faces, there must be enough of "the good
                              stuff" for everyone involved.

                              E.

                              Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
                              Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
                            • Martin McKeay
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                PodCamp: Me! Provided I can get the boss (wife) to let me.

                                PME II:
                                I'd like to add my voice to those saying the primary value of PME II was in
                                the interactions with other podcasters, meeting people face to face and
                                exploring the future of podcasting with the people who are helping it get
                                there. None, or at least very little, of that happened in the conference
                                hall, it happened in the bar, by the pool and in the hotel rooms. To me,
                                this was worth the price of admission, even if I'd never gone to any of the
                                classes.

                                I only made it to three of the classes and one of the keynote speeches;
                                Leo's was too crowded and they closed the doors. Two of the classes were
                                aimed at beginning and less experienced podcasters, though I brought home at
                                least several points from each one. The third one, Interviewing Techniques,
                                was a bit rough, not because of the speaker, but because she had a message
                                some podcasters didn't want to hear: we're making a lot of interviewing
                                mistakes. Several times when people asked, "How do I do X?", her answer
                                was, "You don't, if you want to have a successful, professional interview".
                                At least one person took this attitude badly.

                                If you went to PME to party, that's what you got out of it. But if you went
                                to meet people and talk about podcasting, the content in the hallways was
                                more than worth the time and money. I wouldn't advise anyone to sneak into
                                the buildings to attend, but I felt that I got my money's worth even if I
                                hadn't attended a single talk. I've already told my wife I'm going again
                                next year, and while she doesn't quite understand why, she does understand
                                the passion I came away from the Expo with.

                                Martin

                                PS. Paul is great efforts for the community in creating the Podcast Guild.
                                He deserves a round of thanks for the work he's taking on.

                                --
                                Martin McKeay, CISSP, CCNA
                                The Network Security Podcast

                                On 10/2/06, Paul Puri <prp6040@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              • George L Smyth
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                  --- Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

                                  > PodCamp: Me! Provided I can get the boss (wife) to let me.
                                  >
                                  > PME II:
                                  > I'd like to add my voice to those saying the primary value of PME II was in
                                  > the interactions with other podcasters, meeting people face to face and
                                  > exploring the future of podcasting with the people who are helping it get
                                  > there. None, or at least very little, of that happened in the conference
                                  > hall, it happened in the bar, by the pool and in the hotel rooms. To me,
                                  > this was worth the price of admission, even if I'd never gone to any of the
                                  > classes.
                                  >
                                  > I only made it to three of the classes and one of the keynote speeches;
                                  > Leo's was too crowded and they closed the doors. Two of the classes were
                                  > aimed at beginning and less experienced podcasters, though I brought home at
                                  > least several points from each one. The third one, Interviewing Techniques,
                                  > was a bit rough, not because of the speaker, but because she had a message
                                  > some podcasters didn't want to hear: we're making a lot of interviewing
                                  > mistakes. Several times when people asked, "How do I do X?", her answer
                                  > was, "You don't, if you want to have a successful, professional interview".
                                  > At least one person took this attitude badly.

                                  Martin -

                                  Good, that's what I wanted to hear. I have a feeling that I would have liked
                                  to hear this woman speak. It seems to me that too often speakers try to be
                                  accommodating when they shouldn't be. I've done speeches where I talk about
                                  what is necessary to shoot infrared film and people get upset when I discourage
                                  shortcuts. It sounds like this was what she was doing, and I would have gained
                                  knowledge from such a person.

                                  Cheers -

                                  george

                                  -------------------------------------

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                    --- Paul Puri <prp6040@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                    Paul -

                                    This, too, is what I wanted to hear, it sounds worth the trip. I'm currently
                                    looking into Podcamp Pittsburgh in November, as it is only a few hours drive
                                    from me.

                                    Cheers -

                                    george

                                    -------------------------------------

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                      --- Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                      Evo -

                                      Thanks, good information. For those of us on the other side of the country,
                                      just getting there is not a simple matter. I don't think either of my podcasts
                                      will ever become a business, but I can see where if that were to happen then
                                      PME would be a necessity. I would like an opportunity to meet more folks (I
                                      met a bunch at Podcastercon) and may get than chance in Pittsburgh, but do know
                                      that PME is THE place to be for this.

                                      Cheers -

                                      george

                                      -------------------------------------

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                        On Oct 2, 2006, at 2:39 AM, I Print Stickers wrote:

                                        > I'd be willing to bet the every one of the speakers would be
                                        > flattered to know that an attendee would sneak in just to hear them
                                        > speak.

                                        Yes, we would...and for those of you who did hear me speak, thanks
                                        for attending. I was sweating bullets.

                                        Now, I'm hoping I'll be asked to speak again. ;^)

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                          On Oct 2, 2006, at 8:58 AM, George L Smyth wrote:

                                          > ...but nearly everything I've heard so far about PME has concerned
                                          > contests based upon who could drink the most. I did that back in
                                          > college, and it's been long enough ago to become something that
                                          > just doesn't interest me.
                                          >
                                          > I know that PME is not all about drinking, so I'm hoping that
                                          > someone who did more than that can offer their positive (or
                                          > negative) experiences outside of that area. Podcastercon 2006
                                          > (which unfortunately may not happen until Fall 2007) was an
                                          > excellent opportunity for networking and learning, and that's where
                                          > my personal interest lies.

                                          Then you really should come out for PME in 2007, George.

                                          Yes, you're hearing all the wild stories of what happened after hours
                                          (and admittedly, that's where the really interesting stories come
                                          from...) but the keynotes and featured guests, the new products
                                          coming out, and the free seminars on Audacity, Adobe Audition, and
                                          other software packages were all invaluable to me as a podcaster. And
                                          then there was the networking. I must have contacted hundreds of
                                          podcasters, vendors, and services that will only help me in this media.

                                          You're hearing about us playing hard. That's because during the day
                                          we were working even harder. Don't judge an expo by its cover but by
                                          what it offers OFFICIALLY.

                                          The unofficial stuff...well, that's just the body paint on the hot
                                          model....er, I mean, cherry on the sundae. ;^)

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                            On 10/1/06, michael <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                                            > I didn't pay either, but it was pretty easy to sneak into them....We
                                            > just acted like we were supposed to be there and walked into a few of
                                            > the sessions. Usual tech convention "wave of the future" marketing
                                            > mumbo jumbo you'd expect.

                                            I skipped the conferences because I felt I'd get the most value out of
                                            the conversations in the hall, in the bar after, in the suite parties,
                                            etc. I didn't "not pay" because I thought I could drift into them
                                            like a teenager hopping movies on a Saturday afternoon.

                                            This conference isn't put together by some faceless corporate monster.
                                            Tim Bourquin is a podcaster himself, and he works his ass off
                                            organizing this remarkable event. In other words, he's a peer, and
                                            taking advantage of the conference is exactly the same as
                                            disrespecting one of your colleagues.

                                            Not my idea of DIY, Mike. I'm disappointed.

                                            --
                                            Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                            ++++++++++++++++++

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                              On 10/1/06, michael <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                                              > Ahhhhh.....It's not like we took seats away from paying
                                              > customers....There were plenty of seats, and we stayed only a few
                                              > minutes at each one.

                                              Pretty hard to develop an informed opinion on two days of conferences
                                              with several different topic tracks when you only spend a few minutes
                                              in a handful of sessions over the course of a few hours. Takes the
                                              weight out of your "mumbo jumbo" comment.

                                              > I kinda look at it like downloading trial
                                              > software to see what I'll buy next year. (Though I'll probably not be
                                              > allowed next year, even if I pay.)

                                              If that's how you look at it, all you did was start the software and
                                              look at the splash screen.

                                              It doesn't matter that there were seats available. By your logic,
                                              it's okay to shoplift so long as there are still some things there for
                                              other people to buy.

                                              > Did you really have to pay even though you were a speaker? I've never
                                              > heard of something like that at a convention. I always get a full
                                              > ticket when I'm asked to speak at a convention, at least.

                                              Speakers were comped for the show... and I would not be surprised if
                                              Todd didn't pay anyway because *he supports the community.*

                                              > Anyway, I'm sure there were some good ones, and I'm just a persnickity
                                              > johnny-come-lately who's been podcasting for about six weeks. Ignore me.

                                              That's getting easier and easier to do.

                                              --
                                              Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                              ++++++++++++++++++
                                              http://www.mattselznick.com

                                              "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
                                              http://www.bravemenrun.com

                                              "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
                                              http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

                                              MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
                                              http://www.mwsmedia.com
                                            • Melissa Anelli
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                Hey guys -

                                                After making a little fuss about making sure to meet some of you at the
                                                convention I have to apologize for doing almost NONE of that. This was for
                                                no less of a reason than I was traveling with 13 people, 8 of whom were
                                                teens (ie easily bored and very whiny), for about a week prior to the
                                                convention and we were downright exhausted by the time Friday came along. We
                                                had done a live show in Westwood the night before and were basically
                                                sleepwalking through the exhibit hall and awards; so, if I missed you, I
                                                apologize and hope to meet you at the next thing. I did have a little
                                                fangirl attack to meet Dawn of DnD though. The podcast expo looked fun for
                                                those wholly absorbed in it, but I must confess for those that weren't
                                                committed to the culture of it, there wasn't *too* much to it; I had a great
                                                time with the iProng folks at their booth, and got some cool giveaways
                                                around the floor, but didn't necessarily learn anything about podcasting we
                                                didn't already know from a year doing it. We had fun at the awards because
                                                we were able to cheer on our own (Sue from our show accepted our award, and
                                                those who listen know she is easily the sweetest, most exuberant, most
                                                genuine person on earth and was downright THRILLED to be going up there to
                                                get it - so when she ran a bit over due to her downright effervesence she
                                                was really disheartened that Todd took that moment to remind people to keep
                                                their speeches short; for someone of her sensibility it was a blow to her
                                                excitement).

                                                At the end Todd asked for suggestions on next year's show, so I really have
                                                to say: Chairs for more than 10% of the crowd would have been really, really
                                                nice... also, I volunteer to copy edit your site, letters, and program,
                                                dude. :) I will do it for free, just to be sure the thank you letter doesn't
                                                essentially start, "We'd like to thank you for attending, we'd like to thank
                                                you for attending."

                                                :)

                                                Melissa
                                                PotterCast.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                  On 10/2/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

                                                  > I'm not sure how to say it without sounding like I'm a prude or tea totaler
                                                  > (after all, I did my very first One Minute How-To on How To Prepare A Guinness
                                                  > For Consumption), but nearly everything I've heard so far about PME has
                                                  > concerned contests based upon who could drink the most. I did that back in
                                                  > college, and it's been long enough ago to become something that just doesn't
                                                  > interest me.

                                                  The only reason you're hearing more about the drinking and partying
                                                  because it's easier to joke about that stuff than it is to concisely
                                                  describe all the important and useful stuff -- which will be different
                                                  for every person.

                                                  I can't tell you what you would or wouldn't get out of the Expo. Me,
                                                  I found some of the things I wanted to find, didn't find some others,
                                                  and found several other things that I wasn't looking for but am glad I
                                                  found. Many of those wouldn't be important to anyone else. The only
                                                  way for you to find out if it'd be useful for *you* is to try it.

                                                  And if you decide not to, don't beat yourself up about what you're
                                                  missing. It's a fun time and some good opportunities, but they're not
                                                  _necessary_ opportunities, and there's nothing you couldn't achieve
                                                  some other way. I'm glad I went, but it's only a "must attend" if you
                                                  have a product or message you think the community needs. For
                                                  podcasters like you and me, the only real "must" is to keep turning on
                                                  the microphone and talking.

                                                  http://www.escapepod.org
                                                • chris2x
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                                    > On 10/2/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I'm not sure how to say it without sounding like I'm a prude or tea totaler
                                                    > > (after all, I did my very first One Minute How-To on How To Prepare A Guinness
                                                    > > For Consumption), but nearly everything I've heard so far about PME has
                                                    > > concerned contests based upon who could drink the most. I did that back in
                                                    > > college, and it's been long enough ago to become something that just doesn't
                                                    > > interest me.

                                                    I managed to keep from jumping in a pool naked but that could be that I only had the one
                                                    free drink the podcast brothers provided.

                                                    The highlight of the whole experience for me were:

                                                    1) recognizing podcasters by their voice
                                                    2) meeting so many many people I have chatted with, emailed, or even interviewed
                                                    3) reconnecting with podcasters I have met

                                                    for the formal part of the conference my favorite keynote was Ron Moore and my favorite
                                                    session was by Jason Van Orden.

                                                    Chris Christensen
                                                    Amateur Traveler podcast
                                                    http://AmateurTraveler.com
                                                  • Todd Cochrane
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                      We told everyone to try and keep it short as we had 22 people to get through
                                                      and I know how excited everyone can get. We did not take the mic away from
                                                      anyone so she should not feel bad.

                                                      Todd

                                                      _____

                                                      Podiobooks.com<http://podiobooks. <http://podiobooks.com/> com/>titles will

                                                      com<http://www.glsmyth. <http://www.glsmyth.com/> com/>

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                        Well, but, you know how it is with sensitive and kind souls; a
                                                        pinprick can feel like a gunshot.

                                                        I could certainly understand if every speech went over, but it didn't;
                                                        I could certainly understand if the extra 20-30 seconds (if it was
                                                        that much) was costing a network millions the way it does for an Oscar
                                                        ceremony, but it wasn't; I could certainly understand if she had said
                                                        somethinig wrong or done something out of line, but she didn't. The
                                                        need to correct something wasn't so great, and she felt like she had
                                                        done something wrong. :( Not your fault she went over, of course, but
                                                        there was no warning ahead of time, so she had planned in her head
                                                        what she wanted to say and right before the award was given was very
                                                        short notice to give a time limit. Especially for something that is so
                                                        good in spirit and warm and welcoming in purpose, she figured no one
                                                        would mind or care - and I would imagine no one else *did* mind or
                                                        care much, and thought it was simply sweet. I also daresay no one
                                                        heard her, either, outside the first two rows or very few seats - the
                                                        mic was broken.

                                                        She was just excited, and then felt like she had embarrassed us,
                                                        which I assured her a million times over is not the case, but that,
                                                        unfortunately, holds a lot less weight than a stranger's reprimand
                                                        when the person in question is sensitive.

                                                        We really had a good time and were honored to be there, don't get me
                                                        wrong; I'm just protective of Sue. You're very correct no one took the
                                                        mic from her - I'd be writing a much differnt email if anyone had even
                                                        attempted that. :) I still don't think there was any reason for the
                                                        warning or whatever it was, since we weren't damaging anything by
                                                        going a few seconds over.

                                                        But, it was really great to meet people and celebrate podcasts in
                                                        general. :) Thanks for that opportunity and of course for the award!

                                                        Melissa
                                                        PotterCast.com

                                                        On 10/2/06, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

                                                        > We told everyone to try and keep it short as we had 22 people to get through
                                                        > and I know how excited everyone can get. We did not take the mic away from
                                                        > anyone so she should not feel bad.
                                                        >
                                                        > Todd
                                                        >
                                                        > _____

                                                      • Jake Ludington
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                                          > She was just excited, and then felt like she had embarrassed us,
                                                          > which I assured her a million times over is not the case, but that,
                                                          > unfortunately, holds a lot less weight than a stranger's reprimand
                                                          > when the person in question is sensitive.

                                                          Just reminder that wizards are required to deal with many difficult
                                                          situations. ;)

                                                          Jake Ludington

                                                          http://www.jakeludington.com

                                                          Podcasting Starter Kit