RE: [podcasters] Re: Gigavox releases The Levelator

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006

      It works with both WAV and AIFF files (which is what I said in my write-up.
      ;)

      Jake Ludington

      http://www.jakeludington.com

      Podcasting Starter Kit
      http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        Okay, I give up, how do you install a .jnlp file?

        Cheers -

        george

        --- Ricardo Rabago <rrabago@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I downloaded and tested it out this morning.
        >
        > Very cool stuff...thanks Bruce and Malcolm!
        >
        > -Ricardo
        >
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
        > > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is
        > like
        > > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies
        > I've ever
        > > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)
        > >

        > > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator
        > >

        > > I did a before and after walkthrough here:
        > >

        > http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
        > > imizer.html
        > >

        > > Jake Ludington
        > >

        > > http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
        > >

        > > Podcasting Starter Kit
        > >
        > > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
        > <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

        -------------------------------------

        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
      • Kevin Devin
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          Ensure that you have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed first.

          --
          Kevin H. Devin
          In the Trenches podcast

        • Jake Ludington
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            > Okay, I give up, how do you install a .jnlp file?

            You need the Java Runtime.

            Jake Ludington

            http://www.jakeludington.com

            Podcasting Starter Kit
            http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
          • Dan Klass
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              On 10/1/06 3:16 PM, "Todd Cochrane" <geeknews@...> wrote:

              >> >It only works with WAV files
              >

              > It works on wav and aif files.
              >

              > _____

            • Doug Kaye
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                The core of The Levelator is written in C++ for performance reasons.
                We've used Java only for the UI. It allowed us to get it done quickly
                so that we could use the same codebase for Windows, OS X (Intel) and
                OS X (PowerPC). We didn't get it done until 12:30am on Saturday, and
                if we hadn't used Java, I doubt we could have delivered a multi-
                platform version while still at the PME. As it is, we were a day
                late. Yes, there are other cross-platform solutions, but this is the
                best we could do with the skills and tools we had.

                In a future version, I want to recode the UI using native tools,
                making it much easier to install, particularly on Windows.

                Doug Kaye
                CTO, GigaVox Media
                Exec Director, The Conversations Network
              • Douglas E. Welch
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  > In a future version, I want to recode the UI using native tools,
                  > making it much easier to install, particularly on Windows.

                  That said, on the Mac, it was a fairly easy install. Not, perhaps, for
                  newbies, but it did install cleanly and works. I ran my Expo LIVE show
                  through it and it did improve the sound quality markedly.

                  Technorama with Chuck Tomasi and Kreg Steppe
                  http://chuckchat.com/
                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Doug it is a very cool tool!