Gigavox releases The Levelator

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2006
      I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
      Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is like
      audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies I've ever
      seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)

      http://www.gigavox.com/levelator

      I did a before and after walkthrough here:

      http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
      imizer.html

      Jake Ludington

      http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>

      Podcasting Starter Kit

      http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

    • Will Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2006
        On 9/30/06, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:
        > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
        > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is like
        > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies I've
        ever
        > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)
        >
        > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator

        Thanks, Jake.
        Thank you, Doug for releasing this.
        I did a quick test and it seems to do what it advertises. I'll use it for
        this weeks show for my coverage of the National Book Festival here in DC. It
        was an outdoor festival with a lot of crowd noise, etc, so we'll see how it
        handles that.

        The could potentially save me an an hour or so of leveling out my
        interviews. Of course, a decent in-line compressor may do the trick as well,
        but I'm still saving up for one of those. ;-)

        Will

        --
        http://www.CloudyDayArt.com
        Poetry - People - Podcast
      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 30, 2006
          Looks pretty cool. I downloaded it and will give it a try on my next
          podcast. Also, here's a non-wrapped URL for Jake's article:
          http://tinyurl.com/qbd4p

          -Shawn

          On 9/30/06, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

          > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
          > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is like
          > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies I've
          > ever
          > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)
          >
          > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator
          >
          > I did a before and after walkthrough here:
          >

          > http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
          > imizer.html
          >
          > Jake Ludington
          >
          > http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
          >
          > Podcasting Starter Kit
          >
          > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

        • Ricardo Rabago
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            Hi:

            I downloaded and tested it out this morning.

            Very cool stuff...thanks Bruce and Malcolm!

            -Ricardo

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@...> wrote:

            > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
            > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is
            like
            > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies
            I've ever
            > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)
            >

            > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator
            >

            > I did a before and after walkthrough here:

            http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
            > imizer.html
            >

            > Jake Ludington
            >

            > http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
            >

            > Podcasting Starter Kit
            >
            > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
            <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

          • John Havens
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              Hey Jake,

              Were you at the Expo? Sorry I missed you.

              Went to the Gigavox site; does this only work with
              WAV's or also with MP3's? Would you need to convert
              WAV's to MP3's to make this work?

              Thanks and best,
              JCH/About.com

              --- Ricardo Rabago <rrabago@...> wrote:

              > Hi:
              >
              > I downloaded and tested it out this morning.
              >
              > Very cool stuff...thanks Bruce and Malcolm!
              >
              > -Ricardo
              >
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington"
              > <jake@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you
              > podcast from a Mac or
              > > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator
              > immediately. It is
              > like
              > > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume
              > inconsistencies
              > I've ever
              > > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use
              > it. :)
              > >

              > > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator
              > >

              > > I did a before and after walkthrough here:

              http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
              > > imizer.html
              > >

              > > Jake Ludington
              > >

              > > http://www.jakeludington.com
              > <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
              > >

              > > Podcasting Starter Kit
              > >
              > > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
              > <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

              > removed]

            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                I tried dragging an mp3 into The Levelator, and it didn't work. I'm using a
                Mac, so I'm using the OS X version of the program. It might be different on
                the Windows version, but I doubt it. Seems like it'd be easier for the
                software to process an uncompressed (either WAV or AIFF) file as opposed to
                an mp3.

                -Shawn

                On 10/1/06, John Havens <johnchavens@...> wrote:

                > Hey Jake,
                >
                > Were you at the Expo? Sorry I missed you.
                >
                > Went to the Gigavox site; does this only work with
                > WAV's or also with MP3's? Would you need to convert
                > WAV's to MP3's to make this work?
                >
                > Thanks and best,
                > JCH/About.com

              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  It only works with WAV files

                  _____

                  On 10/1/06, John Havens <johnchavens@ <mailto:johnchavens%40yahoo.com>
                  yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > Hey Jake,
                  >
                  > Were you at the Expo? Sorry I missed you.
                  >
                  > Went to the Gigavox site; does this only work with
                  > WAV's or also with MP3's? Would you need to convert
                  > WAV's to MP3's to make this work?
                  >
                  > Thanks and best,
                  > JCH/About.com

                • Scott Parent
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                    seemed to work fine here on an aiff file.

                    On Oct 1, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Todd Cochrane wrote:

                    > It only works with WAV files
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Jake Ludington
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006

                      It works with both WAV and AIFF files (which is what I said in my write-up.
                      ;)

                      Jake Ludington

                      http://www.jakeludington.com

                      Podcasting Starter Kit
                      http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                    • George L Smyth
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Okay, I give up, how do you install a .jnlp file?

                        Cheers -

                        george

                        --- Ricardo Rabago <rrabago@...> wrote:

                        > Hi:
                        >
                        > I downloaded and tested it out this morning.
                        >
                        > Very cool stuff...thanks Bruce and Malcolm!
                        >
                        > -Ricardo
                        >
                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't think anyone posted this here yet - if you podcast from a Mac or
                        > > Windows box, you should go download The Levelator immediately. It is
                        > like
                        > > audio fixit gold. Best app for cleaning up volume inconsistencies
                        > I've ever
                        > > seen. And you don't need to know anything to use it. :)
                        > >

                        > > http://www.gigavox.com/levelator
                        > >

                        > > I did a before and after walkthrough here:
                        > >

                        > http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060930_the_levelator_easy_audio_opt
                        > > imizer.html
                        > >

                        > > Jake Ludington
                        > >

                        > > http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
                        > >

                        > > Podcasting Starter Kit
                        > >
                        > > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                        > <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

                        -------------------------------------

                        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                      • Kevin Devin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                          Ensure that you have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed first.

                          --
                          Kevin H. Devin
                          In the Trenches podcast

                        • Jake Ludington
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                            > Okay, I give up, how do you install a .jnlp file?

                            You need the Java Runtime.

                            Jake Ludington

                            http://www.jakeludington.com

                            Podcasting Starter Kit
                            http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                          • Dan Klass
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                              On 10/1/06 3:16 PM, "Todd Cochrane" <geeknews@...> wrote:

                              >> >It only works with WAV files
                              >

                              > It works on wav and aif files.
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Doug Kaye
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                                The core of The Levelator is written in C++ for performance reasons.
                                We've used Java only for the UI. It allowed us to get it done quickly
                                so that we could use the same codebase for Windows, OS X (Intel) and
                                OS X (PowerPC). We didn't get it done until 12:30am on Saturday, and
                                if we hadn't used Java, I doubt we could have delivered a multi-
                                platform version while still at the PME. As it is, we were a day
                                late. Yes, there are other cross-platform solutions, but this is the
                                best we could do with the skills and tools we had.

                                In a future version, I want to recode the UI using native tools,
                                making it much easier to install, particularly on Windows.

                                Doug Kaye
                                CTO, GigaVox Media
                                Exec Director, The Conversations Network
                              • Douglas E. Welch
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                                  > In a future version, I want to recode the UI using native tools,
                                  > making it much easier to install, particularly on Windows.

                                  That said, on the Mac, it was a fairly easy install. Not, perhaps, for
                                  newbies, but it did install cleanly and works. I ran my Expo LIVE show
                                  through it and it did improve the sound quality markedly.

                                  Technorama with Chuck Tomasi and Kreg Steppe
                                  http://chuckchat.com/
                                • Todd Cochrane
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                                    Doug it is a very cool tool!