"The Real ROI of Podcasting" John C. Havens talk at Podcast Expo tomorrow

  • John Havens
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      If you're at the Expo tomorrow, I'd love to have you come to my talk:

      Exhibit Hall (Saturday at 10:15): The Real ROI of Podcasting / New
      Media for Corporate Organizations. Here's the blurb:

      Saturday, September 30th 10:15am - 10:45am: John Havens, About.com
      Podcasting Guide Topic: "The Real ROI of Podcasting / New Media for
      Corporate Organizations." Although the number of podcasts being
      produced by organizations like IBM, GE, and BMW continue to
      proliferate, many businesses fail to see the return on investment for
      podcasting at their firms. What the corporate world hasn't fully
      grasped, however, is the potential applications for audio material
      that move beyond the traditional interview podcast format that
      include audio press releases, audio newsletters, audio white papers,
      and more. Attend this session and learn how to make your podcast
      return real results.

      If you're at the Expo, give me a call to hook up and/or talk about
      PodcampNYC: 917-597-3323.
    • groups-yahoo-com@mmeiser.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
        Please tell me that all these seminars and talks will be available via podcast.

        Does anyone have a feed for the expo?

        John, I'm particularly interested in your talk.

        I have some well devised theories on exactly what the biggest ROI is
        in podcasting.

        To put it plainly I think the biggest ROI of all we already have, but
        are just beginning to understand.

        It's called "social capital".

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_capital

        Social capital to put it simply is the generation of valueable assets
        that are nothing less than the basis of our economy as we know it.

        These include, TRUST, shared history, visibility, accessibility,
        connectivity, networking and communications, mobility, and many other
        aspects we're only just beginning to understand and quantify.

        However while we haven't quantified them, quite obviously they are
        extremely important to modern economics and without them our economy
        could not exist.

        Traditionally marketing, advertising, and branding have dealt with
        some specialized facets of social capital on behalf of organizations.
        They focus on increasing visibility, identity and trust... but these
        fields have failed to grasp other key concepts such as accessibility.

        What social capital means to podcasters is that while the majority of
        podcasters (as much as 90%) may never make money directly off their
        podcasts, they will gain tremendous residual benifits. In short
        podcasting may "open doors" for them.

        This is to say, not only will podcasting, videoblogging, bloggin, and
        photo blogging help keep us connected with our friends, family,
        associates and peers, but perhaps our next job, next business partner,
        future friends, business associates, and partners in crime :) will
        come through connections build through podcasting and video blogging.

        That said the head of the tail will definitely utilize many of the
        following techniques to make money and these techniques will slowly
        trickle down into the long tail.

        1) advertising

        2) the sale of goods and services... everything from coffee mugs, to
        CDs for musicians... to digital goods like videos and music... to
        software and services around podcasting

        3) potentially paid subscriptions

        The key is to remember the greatest return on investment right now is
        social capital and may always be simple social capital.

        -Mike

        On 9/29/06, John Havens <johnchavens@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > If you're at the Expo tomorrow, I'd love to have you come to my talk:
        >
        > Exhibit Hall (Saturday at 10:15): The Real ROI of Podcasting / New
        > Media for Corporate Organizations. Here's the blurb:
        >
        > Saturday, September 30th 10:15am - 10:45am: John Havens, About.com
        > Podcasting Guide Topic: "The Real ROI of Podcasting / New Media for
        > Corporate Organizations." Although the number of podcasts being
        > produced by organizations like IBM, GE, and BMW continue to
        > proliferate, many businesses fail to see the return on investment for
        > podcasting at their firms. What the corporate world hasn't fully
        > grasped, however, is the potential applications for audio material
        > that move beyond the traditional interview podcast format that
        > include audio press releases, audio newsletters, audio white papers,
        > and more. Attend this session and learn how to make your podcast
        > return real results.
        >
        > If you're at the Expo, give me a call to hook up and/or talk about
        > PodcampNYC: 917-597-3323.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Havens
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
          Hi Mike,

          First off, I believe all the presentations will be available after
          the Expo. I'm also taping mine and will be posting it at About.com.

          I really liked your thoughts on social capital and couldn't agree
          more that the "soft" benefits of ROI often outweigh things like money/
          hard benefit concerns. That said, I'd welcome your thoughts on a
          white paper I wrote for about.com (which is the basis for my talk)
          that you can read here: www.soundtheorywhitepaper.com. The "social
          capital" aspect of things was touched on by Ben Edwards of IBM in
          terms of building trust with consumers/your audience. You might like
          it.

          Best regards,
          John C. Havens
          About.com
          http://podcasting.about.com

          On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:28 PM, groups-yahoo-com@... wrote:

> [...]
          > > Media for Corporate Organizations. Here's the blurb:
          > >
          > > Saturday, September 30th 10:15am - 10:45am: John Havens, About.com
          > > Podcasting Guide Topic: "The Real ROI of Podcasting / New Media for
          > > Corporate Organizations." Although the number of podcasts being
          > > produced by organizations like IBM, GE, and BMW continue to
          > > proliferate, many businesses fail to see the return on investment
          > for
          > > podcasting at their firms. What the corporate world hasn't fully
          > > grasped, however, is the potential applications for audio material
          > > that move beyond the traditional interview podcast format that
          > > include audio press releases, audio newsletters, audio white papers,
          > > and more. Attend this session and learn how to make your podcast
          > > return real results.
          > >
          > > If you're at the Expo, give me a call to hook up and/or talk about

          John C. Havens
          About Podcasting
          http://podcasting.about.com
          podcasting.guide@...

          www.About.com
          About.com is part of The New York Times Company

        • groups-yahoo-com@mmeiser.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
            Absolutely. I scanned through some of your white paper on about.com.

            I'll go back and take a look and if I have any thoughts I'll make sure
            to email them to you.

            I'm sort of confused as to why you have a domain name going to an
            about.com page?

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
              Hi Mike,

              I did the domain thing since it's easier to remember:
              www.soundtheorywhitepaper.com than the longer crumb trail URL for the
              About address. However, if you go to my main page site: http://
              podcasting.about.com, you can also nav to the white paper by the menu
              on the left; first link on the left is for the paper.

              Thanks and best,
              JCH

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
                No problem. Just hadn't seen it before.

                I guess it's like a $8 a year tinyurl. Well, much more than that
                really. Doe it improve search results? Or do you only use it for
                reference in conversation?

                I've got a lot of questions, I hope you don't mind. You're the first
                person I've met that uses about.com as a publishing platform. I'm
                just trying to understand the dynamics. Don't "get" about.com myself.
                Sure I know what it technically is. I just never used it, nor thought
                of it;s utility as a publishing platform and I'm wondering what
                advantages it has.

                -Mike