iTunes 7 updated

  • Les Posen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
      For those of you using iTunes as your podcatching device, it's now
      been updated to address initial wobbles.

      Les
    • PhiLL Ramey
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
        Thank goodness! 7.0 has been nothing but trouble.

        PhiLL

        --
        The PhiLL(er)'s Online Music Program
        http://www.thephiller.com

        The Pitchfork Report
        http://www.pitchforkreport.com

      • Ryan Ozawa
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
          On 9/27/06, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
          > For those of you using iTunes as your podcatching device, it's now
          > been updated to address initial wobbles.

          Is there a good, relatively level-headed overview of what these
          "initial wobbles" were? I use iTunes as my podcatcher, but didn't
          notice any wobbling at all... and had imagined that most of the
          protests out there were of the usual Apple-bashing variety.

          Since it got patched so fast, there were obviously glitches... so now
          I'm worried about what I've missed! <g>

          Ryan
        • Kevin Devin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
            The only issue that I personally observed, and I have no idea if it was due
            to iTunes, much less if this release resolved the issue, but I ended up
            getting some sort of corruption with my iPod that required me to export out
            my subscriptions, completely wipe them out, set the iPod back to factory
            settings, then load back up my music and then re-subscribe to all of my
            casts.

            Since doing that... it's been smooth sailing -- until today.

            When I attempted to listen to the latest Podcast 411, no sooner would that
            episode begin to play and my iPod would reboot. Of course... I can't say
            that is directly attributable to iTunes or if it was simply a bad download.
            But, that's what I've observed since upgrading to 7. I simply haven't had
            enought time to dig in to what the actual cause of these anomolies.

            -KHD

            --
            Kevin H. Devin
            In the Trenches podcast

          • Jake Ludington
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
              > Is there a good, relatively level-headed overview of what these

              > "initial wobbles" were? I use iTunes as my podcatcher, but didn't

              > notice any wobbling at all... and had imagined that most of the

              > protests out there were of the usual Apple-bashing variety.

              For one thing they have their dialog boxes wrong:

              http://www.jakeludington.com/images/itunes7/purchase_again.png

              Just try and follow the directions presented. That's still not fixed with
              the latest build.

              I had a lousy experience trying to buy a game because I couldn't find it in
              the places help told me to look. Little did I know, Games can't be viewed in
              iTunes 7 by default. You have to manually toggle the interface.

              http://www.jakeludington.com/itunes/20060920_itunes_7_is_broken_or_how_itune
              s_store_ate_my_zuma_download.html

              That's not me hating on Apple, that's a bad customer experience.

              There's also the issue of adding a so-called Software Update, but not making
              it accessible from inside the application. I can't decide whether it's good
              or bad that Apple added a scheduled task to my Windows Scheduled Tasks as
              part of the Software Update installation. I didn't see that in the fine
              print, but I might have missed it. I guess that's better than running yet
              another service in the background like they do with the iPodService.exe and
              iTunesHelper.exe.

              I didn't see any issues with podcasts, although several people reported
              losing their subscriptions. That I know of, the only complaints I've seen
              were for the Windows version.

              Jake Ludington

              http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>

              Podcasting Starter Kit

              http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

            • groups-yahoo-com@mmeiser.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 27, 2006
                I have noticed that on two of my computers iTunes screwed up iPhoto. :(

                This was VERY odd... but is obviously due to itunes... because I did
                not update them all at once, because I actually have actually waited
                to install it on my third computer.

                The problem is sort of obscure actually... iPhoto crashes when
                aggrregating photos on my flickr photo feed. :P

                Go figure. I hope this straightens out my iPhoto... but I doubt it.
                I'm still trying to figure out a workaround... Maybe if I reinstall or
                delete all my prefs. Freaking weird... meanwhile apple has gotten
                hundreds of bug reports from me.. :) LOL

                BTW... if any of you are running iPhoto, you should seriously put your
                friends flickr feed in it. It's pretty awesome. Works with any flickr
                feeds actually, but your friends feed is the best.

                http://flickr.com/groups/photocasting/

                Peace,

                -Mike
                mmeiser.com/blog
                mefeedia.com

                On 9/27/06, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

                > > Is there a good, relatively level-headed overview of what these
                >
                > > "initial wobbles" were? I use iTunes as my podcatcher, but didn't
                >
                > > notice any wobbling at all... and had imagined that most of the
                >
                > > protests out there were of the usual Apple-bashing variety.
                >

                > For one thing they have their dialog boxes wrong:
                >
                > http://www.jakeludington.com/images/itunes7/purchase_again.png
                >

                > Just try and follow the directions presented. That's still not fixed with
                > the latest build.
                >

                > I had a lousy experience trying to buy a game because I couldn't find it in
                > the places help told me to look. Little did I know, Games can't be viewed in
                > iTunes 7 by default. You have to manually toggle the interface.
                >

                > http://www.jakeludington.com/itunes/20060920_itunes_7_is_broken_or_how_itune
                > s_store_ate_my_zuma_download.html
                >

                > That's not me hating on Apple, that's a bad customer experience.
                >

                > There's also the issue of adding a so-called Software Update, but not making
                > it accessible from inside the application. I can't decide whether it's good
                > or bad that Apple added a scheduled task to my Windows Scheduled Tasks as
                > part of the Software Update installation. I didn't see that in the fine
                > print, but I might have missed it. I guess that's better than running yet
                > another service in the background like they do with the iPodService.exe and
                > iTunesHelper.exe.
                >

                > I didn't see any issues with podcasts, although several people reported
                > losing their subscriptions. That I know of, the only complaints I've seen
                > were for the Windows version.
                >

                > Jake Ludington
                >

                > http://www.jakeludington.com <http://www.jakeludington.com/>
                >

                > Podcasting Starter Kit
                >
                > http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com <http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com/>

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2006
                  Same problem here. I think there needs to be a firmware update. Unless Rob
                  is doing something weird.

                  On 9/27/06, Kevin Devin <kevin.devin@...> wrote:

                  > The only issue that I personally observed, and I have no idea if it was
                  > due
                  > to iTunes, much less if this release resolved the issue, but I ended up
                  > getting some sort of corruption with my iPod that required me to export
                  > out
                  > my subscriptions, completely wipe them out, set the iPod back to factory
                  > settings, then load back up my music and then re-subscribe to all of my
                  > casts.
                  >
                  > Since doing that... it's been smooth sailing -- until today.
                  >
                  > When I attempted to listen to the latest Podcast 411, no sooner would that
                  > episode begin to play and my iPod would reboot. Of course... I can't say
                  > that is directly attributable to iTunes or if it was simply a bad
                  > download.
                  > But, that's what I've observed since upgrading to 7. I simply haven't had
                  > enought time to dig in to what the actual cause of these anomolies.
                  >
                  > -KHD
                  >
                  > On 9/27/06, Ryan Ozawa <ryanozawa@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On 9/27/06, Les Posen <lesposen@...<lesposen%40iinet.net.au>>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > For those of you using iTunes as your podcatching device, it's now
                  > > > been updated to address initial wobbles.
                  > >
                  > > Is there a good, relatively level-headed overview of what these
                  > > "initial wobbles" were? I use iTunes as my podcatcher, but didn't
                  > > notice any wobbling at all... and had imagined that most of the
                  > > protests out there were of the usual Apple-bashing variety.
                  > >
                  > > Since it got patched so fast, there were obviously glitches... so now
                  > > I'm worried about what I've missed! <g>
                  > >
                  > > Ryan
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Kevin H. Devin