Command-line (or low-RAM) podcatchers?

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
      I'm using an old PowerBook with a low amount of RAM; let's just say
      I've got a very small amount of memory available for any additional
      applications other than the ones I'm already using. I've just
      installed Juice, and about to give it a thorough workout, but I'm
      interested in learning of any other podcatchers that use a lower
      amount of RAM than say, iTunes. (I'm assuming Juice uses less memory;
      am I wrong?) Would a command-line podcatcher use less memory? If so,
      which command-line programs are currently available, and up-to-date
      (that is, still work)?

      Thanks,
      Harold
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
        How about wget with some kind of timed execution or cron job?

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        ++++++++++++++++++

        "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
        http://www.bravemenrun.com

        "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
        http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

        MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
        http://www.mwsmedia.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
          On 9/26/06, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
          > Would a command-line podcatcher use less memory? If so,
          > which command-line programs are currently available, and up-to-date
          > (that is, still work)?

          http://www.google.com/search?q=command+line+podcatcher

          (Why isn't our friend Command Line on the first page of that search, I
          wonder?) >8->

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
            > http://www.google.com/search?q=command+line+podcatcher
            >
            > (Why isn't our friend Command Line on the first page of that search, I
            > wonder?) >8->

            No-follow?

            Otherwise, the poor guy would never get any sleep.

            --
            Matthew Wayne Selznick
            ++++++++++++++++++
            http://www.mattselznick.com

            "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
            http://www.bravemenrun.com

            "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
            http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

            MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
            http://www.mwsmedia.com
          • Command Line
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
              On 9/26/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:
              > On 9/26/06, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
              > > http://www.google.com/search?q=command+line+podcatcher
              > >
              > > (Why isn't our friend Command Line on the first page of that search, I
              > > wonder?) >8->
              >
              > No-follow?
              >
              > Otherwise, the poor guy would never get any sleep.

              I could be, if I wanted to be. I could. I just don't wanna. ;-p

              A quick shell script using curl or wget could do the trick, if you
              don't mind a little hacking. Curry's original "podcatcher" was
              written in Python. I think Transistr even still uses Python under the
              hood. Wonder if that original script is still floating around
              somewhere...

              Command Line
              --
              The Command Line Podcast
              http://thecommandline.net/
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
                I remember one called PyPodder or something. Anyway, I'm always
                looking for some new ones that may not have made it to Google yet.
                (Yes, it's rare something doesn't make it to Google, but it
                happens...) Besides, I appreciate your opinions (most of the time).

                Harold

                On 9/26/06, Command Line <cmdln@...> wrote:

                > On 9/26/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:
                > > On 9/26/06, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                > > > http://www.google.com/search?q=command+line+podcatcher
                > > >
                > > > (Why isn't our friend Command Line on the first page of that search, I
                > > > wonder?) >8->
                > >
                > > No-follow?
                > >
                > > Otherwise, the poor guy would never get any sleep.
                >
                > I could be, if I wanted to be. I could. I just don't wanna. ;-p
                >
                > A quick shell script using curl or wget could do the trick, if you
                > don't mind a little hacking. Curry's original "podcatcher" was
                > written in Python. I think Transistr even still uses Python under the
                > hood. Wonder if that original script is still floating around
                > somewhere...
                >

                > Command Line
                > --
                > The Command Line Podcast
                > http://thecommandline.net/

              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                  For one reason or another, Juice is not firing up on my Panther
                  system. So I'm taking the opportunity to scan for other solutions,
                  ideally one that's a lesser RAM-hog. I see that iPodderX is engaged
                  in some sort of dispute, and therefore unavailable; if my memory
                  serves me well, that's got to do with Apple, right? Stinkin' Apple,
                  my favorite software and hardware company, seemingly trying to make me
                  use iTunes...(Look, Apple I already use iTunes on a faster Mac; can
                  you *please* let me have iPodderX back? Do you see how your actions
                  make even the most Mac-addicted upset?)

                  Anyway, I see there's something called Playpod. Going to give it a
                  try now...Suggestions still welcomed!

                  Harold

                  On 9/26/06, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                  > I remember one called PyPodder or something. Anyway, I'm always
                  > looking for some new ones that may not have made it to Google yet.
                  > (Yes, it's rare something doesn't make it to Google, but it
                  > happens...) Besides, I appreciate your opinions (most of the time).
                  >
                  > Harold
                  >
                  > On 9/26/06, Command Line <cmdln@...> wrote:

                  > > > No-follow?
                  > > >
                  > > > Otherwise, the poor guy would never get any sleep.
                  > >
                  > > I could be, if I wanted to be. I could. I just don't wanna. ;-p
                  > >
                  > > A quick shell script using curl or wget could do the trick, if you
                  > > don't mind a little hacking. Curry's original "podcatcher" was
                  > > written in Python. I think Transistr even still uses Python under the
                  > > hood. Wonder if that original script is still floating around
                  > > somewhere...
                  > >

                  > > Command Line
                  > > --
                  > > The Command Line Podcast
                  > > http://thecommandline.net/

                • andrew clarke
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                    On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 06:41:52PM -0700, Harold Johnson wrote:

                    > Would a command-line podcatcher use less memory? If so, which
                    > command-line programs are currently available, and up-to-date
                    > (that is, still work)?

                    I use Peapod under FreeBSD. It uses Python. Should run fine under OS X.

                    http://www.peapodpy.org/
                  • Harold Johnson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                      Now we're talking. Thanks, Andrew!

                      Harold

                      On 9/27/06, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 06:41:52PM -0700, Harold Johnson wrote:
                      >
                      > > Would a command-line podcatcher use less memory? If so, which
                      > > command-line programs are currently available, and up-to-date
                      > > (that is, still work)?
                      >
                      > I use Peapod under FreeBSD. It uses Python. Should run fine under OS X.
                      >
                      > http://www.peapodpy.org/

                    • Stephen Page
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                        I have noticed that on iTunes some people have an extra button which
                        says, "See All Podcasts", take a look at MacTV or one of Leo Laportes
                        podcasts for an example.

                        Is this some deal that they have arranged with Apple or is it just
                        done via some Producers tag that I obviously dont have set :-)

                        Anyone shed some light on this?

                        Steve
                        Pod-Star Podcasting
                        http://www.pod-star.com
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                          There is a setting somewhere, TechPodcast Network (I believe) also has a
                          site. I am not sure where or how though.

                          On 9/27/06, Stephen Page <spage1970@...> wrote:

                          > I have noticed that on iTunes some people have an extra button which
                          > says, "See All Podcasts", take a look at MacTV or one of Leo Laportes
                          > podcasts for an example.
                          >
                          > Is this some deal that they have arranged with Apple or is it just
                          > done via some Producers tag that I obviously dont have set :-)
                          >
                          > Anyone shed some light on this?
                          >
                          > Steve
                          > Pod-Star Podcasting
                          > http://www.pod-star.com

                          Mike Wills
                          http://mikewills.name - Blog
                          http://theriverbendpodcast.com - Podcast

                        • andrew clarke
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                            On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:42:59PM -0400, Command Line wrote:

                            > A quick shell script using curl or wget could do the trick, if you
                            > don't mind a little hacking. Curry's original "podcatcher" was
                            > written in Python.

                            I'm pretty sure the first iPodder was written in AppleScript. I don't
                            recall Adam Curry ever mentioning Python.
                          • robert
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                              It has to do with a podcast being part of a group of podcasts.

                              That group then gets its own podcast page.

                              This is not something you can set up - this is something Apple sets
                              up for you.

                              But first you need to have a group of podcasts.

                              http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?
                              id=155949012&mt=2

                              Here is one for FarPoint Media.

                              But it is not a setting. It is something manually done at Apple.

                              Rob @ podCast411

                              On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Mike wrote:

                              > There is a setting somewhere, TechPodcast Network (I believe) also
                              > has a
                              > site. I am not sure where or how though.
                              >
                              > On 9/27/06, Stephen Page <spage1970@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I have noticed that on iTunes some people have an extra button which
                              > > says, "See All Podcasts", take a look at MacTV or one of Leo
                              > Laportes
                              > > podcasts for an example.
                              > >
                              > > Is this some deal that they have arranged with Apple or is it just
                              > > done via some Producers tag that I obviously dont have set :-)
                              > >
                              > > Anyone shed some light on this?
                              > >
                              > > Steve
                              > > Pod-Star Podcasting
                              > > http://www.pod-star.com
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > Mike Wills
                              > http://mikewills.name - Blog
                              > http://theriverbendpodcast.com - Podcast

                            • Shawn Thorpe
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                                If I'm not mistaken, these are the elusive podcast "rooms" that people have
                                been asking about for awhile. And, as others have pointed out in this
                                thread, these "rooms" are created by the iTunes Music Store staff.

                                -Shawn

                                On 9/27/06, Stephen Page <spage1970@...> wrote:

                                > I have noticed that on iTunes some people have an extra button which
                                > says, "See All Podcasts", take a look at MacTV or one of Leo Laportes
                                > podcasts for an example.
                                >
                                > Is this some deal that they have arranged with Apple or is it just
                                > done via some Producers tag that I obviously dont have set :-)
                                >
                                > Anyone shed some light on this?
                                >
                                > Steve
                                > Pod-Star Podcasting
                                > http://www.pod-star.com

                              • Stephen Page
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 28, 2006
                                  There have been a few replies and I should clarify what I was asking.

                                  I wasnt, althought I did cite an example, asking about those special
                                  areas created by Apple that have custom graphics and text like the
                                  Leo Laporte podcasts, that is obviously created by Apple and some
                                  time has been spent on it.

                                  There are other groups of podcasts that are merely grouped by a link
                                  and I was wondering if that link is something that you can create by
                                  lets say making the author name identical, etc.

                                  It looks like not by the general reaction and even these have had
                                  some input from Apple rather than automatically appearing by way of
                                  some setting.

                                  Steve