Re: [podcasters] PC Equivalent of Garage Band Mac Software

  • Jason Evangelho
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      I am a very happy Adobe Audition user. Started out with Audacity, but
      the toolset just wasn't big enough. Believe me: it does wonders for
      people on a budget. Other than that, all I use is a $30 Shure mic from
      radioshack and my Dell, and I achieve a pretty decent quality...

      On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:00:09 +1000, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:49:48PM -0000, Richard j Smith wrote:
      >
      > > I was wondering if there is a PC equivalent of Garage band software
      > > that is with Macs? Any help would be great.
      >
      > I don't own a recent Mac, so I've never seen or used Garage Band. Maybe
      > you could give a list of features you're after?
      >
      > Having said that though, one the following may be suitable, depending on
      > your budget and requirements, eg. whether you want MIDI support.
      >
      > Adobe Audition (formerly Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro)
      > http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/
      >
      > Audacity (free, open source)
      > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
      >
      > Cakewalk Home Studio (MIDI support)
      > http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/default.asp
      >
      > Kristal Audio Engine (free for personal use)
      > http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
      strong to be broken."
      ~Samuel Johnson
    • Harold Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        I used to used Pro Tools Free--that's the free version of Pro Tools
        that is available at http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

        These days I use Audacity, which is free and open source, so
        developers continuously add features to it. Audacity is also great
        because you can move from one operating system to another (including
        Linux) and already know how to use the tool.

        Harold
        http://somethingthathappened.com/