Re: [podcasters] MY NEW SHOW

  • Andy Po
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
      awww, haha your never actually an-ex raver as far as i'm concerned, if you really got into it, you've still got the raving spirit in you =)
      and college students don't really rave now a days, its more of the college drop outs and minimum wage young adults on the scene now, not really anyone with money or privilage

      Matt Kane's Brain <mkb@...> wrote: I'd say your subject matter needs work, although you may be a hit
      with the other new college students who have decided to become ravers
      for the time being

      /jaded ex-raver grouch

      On Sep 1, 2006, at 13:04, blacknblue52 wrote:

      > Hey everybody this Crayon from Oakland California, i'm an 18 year old
      > podcaster thats been into the podcasting world for about 2 months or
      > so, and my show is fairly new, i was just wondering how all you guys
      > get such a huge auidience? I just put up my 5th episode 2 days ago,
      > and in the last two months i've gotten about 240 hits between all 5
      > episodes, but i know a lot of you have thousands, so whats your
      > trick?
      >
      > oh and my show is hosted off of PodShow http://nep.podshow.com *in the
      > interest of disclosure i work for PodShow* but yeah, i just wanted to
      > know how u guys do it, and check out my show and give me tips cuase i
      > know it needs work but not sure where

      matt kane's brain
      http://hydrogenproject.com
      aim -> mkbatwerk
      mkb@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
        (Moving quotations around because top-posting gets too confusing in a
        thread like this...)

        On 9/1/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:
        > What about iTunes? 90% of my subscribers come from there and only like 15%
        > listen using a browser (on my libsyn page). Does PodShow automatically put
        > his feed in iTunes? When iTunes opened my subscribers went from 50 to 100
        > average to near 1000 for some shows. I¹d say iTunes is pretty important.

        When I said "Everything else is secondary," I meant exactly that.
        Yes, being listed in iTunes and other major directories is vital, but
        it's not really a fundamental promotion strategy, it's just a startup
        step. That's like making your business's entire marketing strategy
        "Get listed in the yellow pages!" Yeah, you need to do that, but
        after you've done it there isn't really more to do.

        I like the iTunes directory just fine, and I think the guys there are
        doing a pretty good job of trying to channel the chaotic quantum foam
        of podcasting -- but I wouldn't expect them to do more to make my
        podcast successful than I'm willing to do myself. There are other
        things I can control, ways I can influence my success instead of just
        waiting for it to come to me, and what I said above is where I try to
        put my energy.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Jon Jacob
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
          I've never been absolutely convinced about whether joining in a conversation mid-way through is
          sneered upon ... but if everyone's cool with it, I'd like to throw in my two-penneth.

          iTUNES is absolutely vital but just as Stephen says, once it's listed there's little else which
          can be done with that particular directory listing. The key thing is (in my humble opinion) never
          to look on a show as having a shelf life until the next show is released. Every time I've promoted
          my show (the Thoroughly Good Podcast - which by its very nature is broad in its appeal because its
          subject material is deliberately broad) I've noticed that its followed by a flurry of downloads
          from right across the series.

          I suspect its because when new people get the RSS into whatever feed reader they're using they do
          just as I do. Get the entire series into their feed reader and then tick those shows which they
          think might interset them. Consequently there's no hard and fast rule about promotion because
          there are no guarantees. If a series is long I suppose that some might selectively download
          episodes. If its short new listeners might download the lot but even then you've no real guarantee
          they'll actually listen to it.

          A recent promo run I did bore unexpected results. There were a handful of people who provided
          feedback explaining how much they enjoyed listening to older shows which I hadn't originally
          thought would interest them. Not only that, a number of people listened to the shows and then came
          back to me asking if they group or campaign could feature in the show even though my original
          intention was merely to distribute the RSS feed.

          In short, I think its necessary to "throw as much paint at the wall and see what sticks".
          Sometimes the most unexpected leads come from the most unexpected sources and if (like me *at
          last*!!!!) you've got your RSS feed sorted you know you can always rely on it when you hand out
          the link.

          One radio producer offered me advice when I was working on a radio station last year. You've got
          to keep knocking on the door over a long period of time to get results. Even though his advice was
          extended to breaking in to the business, I've got to say after a year of producing shows, the same
          holds true for developing audiences. Just pursue that which interests you, and keep sending out
          the emails and posting on the message boards. Like endownment mortgages, I suspect these things
          take time and carry with them a certain amount of risk too.

          Jon Jacob
          Producer - Thoroughly Good Radio

          Website: www.thoroughly-good.com
          Email: jon.jacob@...