Re: [podcasters] Re: Better Software Than Audacity?

  • Justin Grotelueschen
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 30, 2006
      Hi Amber and others,

      I second the nod toward Adobe Audition. I¹ve used Cool Edit Pro (which
      Adobe snapped up and rebranded as Audition) for years on my PC at home, and
      I think it¹s the perfect balance between having enough features while
      retaining simplicity, and it definitely has been stable for me. I use it
      for both single (recording to PC) and multitrack editing. I used Cubase LE,
      bundled with the Focusrite Saffire USB interface, on my PC at work to
      produce a half-hour production about the Grateful Dead, and it¹s caused me
      enough headaches to no longer be interested in using it (every time I open
      the thing I feel like I¹m relearning the same parts of the program, it
      resets my settings to default, not-so-intuitive interface, etc.). I don¹t
      have sufficient knowledge of Pro Tools to say yay or nay to that, but I¹ve
      been happy enough with CoolEdit/Audition to not worry about PT.

      It is a chunk of change vs. free, but you¹ll save yourself the rise in blood
      pressure.

      Best,
      Justin
      Podcast.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 30, 2006
        On 8/30/06, Joe Burgess <joemburgess@...> wrote:
        > On the windows side I used audition, you can get pretty cheaply on
        > ebay. I know cakewalk is pretty good though.

        Point of reference: I just did a search for "Adobe Audition" on eBay,
        and the hits I got were for 13 training videos and one out-of-date
        retail box of version 1.5 for $100. (The current version of Audition
        is 2.0.)

        As a general rule of thumb on eBay, remember that the more
        ridiculously cheap a software product seems, the less likely it is to
        be legal or complete. That doesn't mean you can't get deals, but if
        it's less than half the retail price of an application, be wary. I'm
        not going to go off on a big rant against piracy here, but I run my
        podcast as a business and wouldn't want to put it at risk.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 30, 2006
          Indeed, the super cheap "deals" on eBay are more probably illegal, which means
          no support, no upgrade, and ... well ... it's illegal software.

          According to P.W. Fenton, the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 is probably not
          worthwhile to most people, so getting version 1.5 may be a good idea. I've not
          used the software, but $100 is more in my price range than full fare, which is
          not.

          Cheers -

          george

          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com