Recording Interviews with Skype, Garageband, and Audio Hijack Pro

  • David Moldawer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2006
      The legendary Michael R. Mennenga suggested I ask all of you about the
      following issue. Basically, I've been recording short (10 minute)
      interviews with authors over Skype using Audio Hijack Pro, and then
      sending the 2 mp3s to Michael to be combined and incorporated into the
      Dragon Page Cover to Cover podcast.

      Unfortunately, the 2 files haven't been matching up, requiring Michael
      to get in there and cut and paste all of my questions with my
      interviewees' answers. For some reason, the 2 mp3 files (one recorded
      from my mic, the other from Skype) don't end up having the same time
      tracks, as recorded by Audio Hijack Pro.

      Michael remembered people in this group discussing a setup feeding
      Skype (via Audio Hijack Pro) into GarageBand as one track, and
      recording from a mic into another track, making one perfectly lined up
      recording of an interview. I can't seem to find a description of that
      setup, though, so if anyone has any idea how this might be managed in
      some form or another (or knows where such instructions might exist)
      please let me know. Fans of the Dragon Page everywhere will thank you
      for sparing them further audio atrocities at my hands!

      -Dave
    • John Havens
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
        Hi David,

        One tool you can try for $12.95 is the Call Recorder from Ecamm
        (ecamm.com, I think). It's
        a plug in that lets you record calls with one click in Skype. Saves
        the calls in Quicktime movie format
        and then you can convert to MP3. I think the sound quality is quite
        good, with the exception of
        minor Skypian-flare-ups.

        Hope that helps,
        John C. Havens
        About.com Guide to Podcasting
        http://podcasting.about.com

        On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:46 PM, David Moldawer wrote:

        > The legendary Michael R. Mennenga suggested I ask all of you about the
        > following issue. Basically, I've been recording short (10 minute)
        > interviews with authors over Skype using Audio Hijack Pro, and then
        > sending the 2 mp3s to Michael to be combined and incorporated into the
        > Dragon Page Cover to Cover podcast.
        >
        > Unfortunately, the 2 files haven't been matching up, requiring Michael
        > to get in there and cut and paste all of my questions with my
        > interviewees' answers. For some reason, the 2 mp3 files (one recorded
        > from my mic, the other from Skype) don't end up having the same time
        > tracks, as recorded by Audio Hijack Pro.
        >
        > Michael remembered people in this group discussing a setup feeding
        > Skype (via Audio Hijack Pro) into GarageBand as one track, and
        > recording from a mic into another track, making one perfectly lined up
        > recording of an interview. I can't seem to find a description of that
        > setup, though, so if anyone has any idea how this might be managed in
        > some form or another (or knows where such instructions might exist)
        > please let me know. Fans of the Dragon Page everywhere will thank you
        > for sparing them further audio atrocities at my hands!
        >
        > -Dave

        John C. Havens
        About Podcasting
        http://podcasting.about.com
        podcasting.guide@...

        www.About.com
        About.com is part of The New York Times Company

      • Hugo Sharp
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
          "Pamela" for Skype is great. It lets you record the incomming and outgoig
          tracks to two seperate sides of a stereo wav or mp3 track on your hard
          drive. Costs $12 but well worth it. Link
          here<http://www.pamela-systems.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=250>
          .

          Hugo
          The Oz Wine Show

          On 30/08/06, John Havens <johnchavens@...> wrote:

          > Hi David,
          >
          > One tool you can try for $12.95 is the Call Recorder from Ecamm
          > (ecamm.com, I think). It's
          > a plug in that lets you record calls with one click in Skype. Saves
          > the calls in Quicktime movie format
          > and then you can convert to MP3. I think the sound quality is quite
          > good, with the exception of
          > minor Skypian-flare-ups.
          >
          > Hope that helps,
          > John C. Havens
          > About.com Guide to Podcasting
          > http://podcasting.about.com
          >

          > On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:46 PM, David Moldawer wrote:
          >
          > > The legendary Michael R. Mennenga suggested I ask all of you about the
          > > following issue. Basically, I've been recording short (10 minute)
          > > interviews with authors over Skype using Audio Hijack Pro, and then
          > > sending the 2 mp3s to Michael to be combined and incorporated into the
          > > Dragon Page Cover to Cover podcast.
          > >
          > > Unfortunately, the 2 files haven't been matching up, requiring Michael
          > > to get in there and cut and paste all of my questions with my
          > > interviewees' answers. For some reason, the 2 mp3 files (one recorded
          > > from my mic, the other from Skype) don't end up having the same time
          > > tracks, as recorded by Audio Hijack Pro.
          > >
          > > Michael remembered people in this group discussing a setup feeding
          > > Skype (via Audio Hijack Pro) into GarageBand as one track, and
          > > recording from a mic into another track, making one perfectly lined up
          > > recording of an interview. I can't seem to find a description of that
          > > setup, though, so if anyone has any idea how this might be managed in
          > > some form or another (or knows where such instructions might exist)
          > > please let me know. Fans of the Dragon Page everywhere will thank you
          > > for sparing them further audio atrocities at my hands!
          > >
          > > -Dave
          > >

          > John C. Havens
          > About Podcasting
          > http://podcasting.about.com
          > podcasting.guide@... <podcasting.guide%40about.com>
          >
          > www.About.com
          > About.com is part of The New York Times Company

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
            Pamela is a Windows only product.

            On 8/31/06 6:12 PM, "Hugo Sharp" <groups@...> wrote:

            > "Pamela" for Skype is great. It lets you record the incomming and outgoig
            > tracks to two seperate sides of a stereo wav or mp3 track on your hard
            > drive. Costs $12 but well worth it. Link
            > here<http://www.pamela-systems.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=250>
            > .
            >
            > Hugo
            > The Oz Wine Show
            >
            > On 30/08/06, John Havens <johnchavens@...
            > <mailto:johnchavens%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Hi David,
            >> >
            >> > One tool you can try for $12.95 is the Call Recorder from Ecamm
            >> > (ecamm.com, I think). It's
            >> > a plug in that lets you record calls with one click in Skype. Saves
            >> > the calls in Quicktime movie format
            >> > and then you can convert to MP3. I think the sound quality is quite
            >> > good, with the exception of
            >> > minor Skypian-flare-ups.
            >> >
            >> > Hope that helps,
            >> > John C. Havens
            >> > About.com Guide to Podcasting
            >> > http://podcasting.about.com

            >> > John C. Havens
            >> > About Podcasting
            >> > http://podcasting.about.com
            >> > podcasting.guide@... <mailto:podcasting.guide%40about.com>
            >> <podcasting.guide%40about.com>
            >> >
            >> > www.About.com
            >> > About.com is part of The New York Times Company

            http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"

            / / \ \ \ \
            / / / \ \ \ \ \
            / / \/ O O \ \
            / / / \/ O\ \ \/
            / / \/ \
            \/ \/ \
            \/ \
            __o \/ \
            `\<,_ \/ \
            (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

          • Ramble Redhead
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
              You can record both parts of the call via Audio Hijack pro and you dont need
              to have separate tracks

              You will not need to use Garageband either

              Email me privately and I can send you the setup instructions

              On 8/31/06, Bill <bill@...> wrote:

              > Pamela is a Windows only product.
              >

              > On 8/31/06 6:12 PM, "Hugo Sharp" <groups@...<groups%40ozwineshow.com>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > "Pamela" for Skype is great. It lets you record the incomming and
              > outgoig
              > > tracks to two seperate sides of a stereo wav or mp3 track on your hard
              > > drive. Costs $12 but well worth it. Link
              > > here<
              > http://www.pamela-systems.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=250>
              > > .
              > >
              > > Hugo
              > > The Oz Wine Show

              > the
              > then
              > the

              > Michael
              > recorded
              > time

              > lined up
              > that
              > in
              > exist)
              > you

              > podcasting.guide%40about.com>
              >
              > >> <podcasting.guide%40about.com>

              > http://rainforestinn.libsyn.com "The Sounds of the Rainforest"
              >
              > / / \ \ \ \
              > / / / \ \ \ \ \
              > / / \/ O O \ \
              > / / / \/ O\ \ \/
              > / / \/ \
              > \/ \/ \
              > \/ \
              > __o \/ \
              > `\<,_ \/ \
              > (*)/ (*) \/ \ http://www.rainforestinn.com

              Check out the Ramble Redhead Show at http://rambleredhead.blogspot.com or
              www.rambleredhead.com

              Check out my Frappr map www.frappr.com/rambleredhead

              AOL or AIM Screen Name: Rambleredhead

              Yahoo Rambleredhead

              Subscribe via Itunes:
              http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=98939550&s=143441

              Comment Number: 574-203-4263

            • jcarvalh
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
                Download the latest Audio hijack Pro 2.7.

                Add Skype as an application.
                Under Input tab, click Advanced...
                Enable the "Hijack All Audio Tracks (Megamix)" feature and it will
                record both sides of the call onto seperate channels (Left and Right)
                into one stereo file.

                No need to post sync. This takes care of it for you.

                Now, if you find that the gain levels on the incomign side of the call
                are overloading the waveform, go back to the old standard Effect
                Matrix setup to tweaks the levels:
                http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/Change-The-Channel-2005-09-12-10-00

                I went back to the old effect matrix tricks to stop some overloading
                issues I was having.

                Let me know if it works out for you.

                Jeff
                weeklydrop.com

              • David Moldawer
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Thanks for the tip. I set things up in Audio Hijack Pro precisely
                  according to these instructions, and there was a clear echo of my
                  voice. I recorded in AIFF like they suggested, but it was still there.
                  Any ideas?