PC Equivalent of Garage Band Mac Software

  • Richard j Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2004
      I was wondering if there is a PC equivalent of Garage band software
      that is with Macs? Any help would be great.

      Richard j Smith
      www.richardjsmith.net
    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
        On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:49:48PM -0000, Richard j Smith wrote:

        > I was wondering if there is a PC equivalent of Garage band software
        > that is with Macs? Any help would be great.

        I don't own a recent Mac, so I've never seen or used Garage Band. Maybe
        you could give a list of features you're after?

        Having said that though, one the following may be suitable, depending on
        your budget and requirements, eg. whether you want MIDI support.

        Adobe Audition (formerly Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro)
        http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

        Audacity (free, open source)
        http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

        Cakewalk Home Studio (MIDI support)
        http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/default.asp

        Kristal Audio Engine (free for personal use)
        http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php
      • Jason Evangelho
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          I am a very happy Adobe Audition user. Started out with Audacity, but
          the toolset just wasn't big enough. Believe me: it does wonders for
          people on a budget. Other than that, all I use is a $30 Shure mic from
          radioshack and my Dell, and I achieve a pretty decent quality...

          On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:00:09 +1000, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:49:48PM -0000, Richard j Smith wrote:
          >
          > > I was wondering if there is a PC equivalent of Garage band software
          > > that is with Macs? Any help would be great.
          >
          > I don't own a recent Mac, so I've never seen or used Garage Band. Maybe
          > you could give a list of features you're after?
          >
          > Having said that though, one the following may be suitable, depending on
          > your budget and requirements, eg. whether you want MIDI support.
          >
          > Adobe Audition (formerly Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro)
          > http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/
          >
          > Audacity (free, open source)
          > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > Cakewalk Home Studio (MIDI support)
          > http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/default.asp
          >
          > Kristal Audio Engine (free for personal use)
          > http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          strong to be broken."
          ~Samuel Johnson
        • Harold Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
            I used to used Pro Tools Free--that's the free version of Pro Tools
            that is available at http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

            These days I use Audacity, which is free and open source, so
            developers continuously add features to it. Audacity is also great
            because you can move from one operating system to another (including
            Linux) and already know how to use the tool.

            Harold
            http://somethingthathappened.com/