Suggestions for a good software solution to set up my RSS feed?

  • viper550_2002
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
      I have heard of some software, such as word press, to set up a RSS
      feed. I know that it does'nt do a good Job as far as validation. I want
      a solution that leaves the least questions for a video podcast.
      My Vidcast is still in production...But I have reached that point I
      need to look for some kind of RSS package's.
      Any Suggestions that the Podcasters can offer would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks
      Acorruptedkidsshow.com

      Mike
    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
        --- viper550_2002 <viper5502002@...> wrote:

        > I have heard of some software, such as word press, to set up a RSS
        > feed. I know that it does'nt do a good Job as far as validation. I want
        > a solution that leaves the least questions for a video podcast.
        > My Vidcast is still in production...But I have reached that point I
        > need to look for some kind of RSS package's.
        > Any Suggestions that the Podcasters can offer would be greatly
        > appreciated.

        Mike -

        Where will yo ube hosting it? If the answer is Libsyn then they'll create the
        RSS feed for you.

        Cheers -

        george

        -------------------------------------

        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
        One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
          PodcastingNews.com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under the Radar
          podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
          (http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2006/08/major_record_la_1.html).
          Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site, complete
          with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the host
          hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that the
          podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a different
          turn.

          The story is coming close to hitting the front page of Digg, so if you'd like
          to help push it in this direction then the link is
          http://digg.com/music/Major_record_label_attempts_to_be_an_indie_podcaster_ends_up_a_poser#c2559308

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------

          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
          One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
        • Flyswatter
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
            On 8/3/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

            > PodcastingNews.com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under
            > the Radar
            > podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
            > (http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2006/08/major_record_la_1.html).
            > Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site,
            > complete
            > with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the
            > host
            > hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that
            > the
            > podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a different
            > turn.
            > _

            So THAT'S how she gets away with using RIAA music!

            Whoa, she's a rebel. </sarcasm>
            --
            Laura Ross

            The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
            http://coffeeandteashow.com
            Listener hotline: 206-338-6194

          • Paul Puri
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
              Under the Radar Podcast. Featuring great indie bands such as Tom Petty, Chris Isaac, and Better Than Ezra. Everyone is most welcome to the podcasting community, but who do they think they are fooling?

              Dugg!

              By the way, I love those artists, and grew up listening to them. I wonder if they have any thoughts as to their music being offered as 'indie' in order to fool people.

              Paul Puri

              Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
              The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
              http://podcastguild.org/

              Podsafe Gear.....Gear for podcasters.....Now on Ebay!!
              http://PodsafeGear.com

              The P3 Show: http://p3show.com
              The P3 Show Feed: http://p3show.libsyn.com/rss

              Promotion without shame.
              Podcasting Announcements

              PodcastingNews. com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under the Radar
              podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
              (http://www.podcasti ngnews.com/ archives/ 2006/08/major_ record_la_ 1.html).
              Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site, complete
              with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the host
              hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that the
              podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a different
              turn.

              The story is coming close to hitting the front page of Digg, so if you'd like
              to help push it in this direction then the link is
              http://digg. com/music/ Major_record_ label_attempts_ to_be_an_ indie_podcaster_ ends_up_a_ poser#c2559308

              Cheers -

              george

              ------------ --------- --------- -------

              Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix. com
              DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvestin g.org
              Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth. com
              One Minute How-To: http://podcasternew s.com/details. php?P=131

            • Michael Butler
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                All you are going to accomplish by making such a big deal of this,
                other than bragging rights at the next podcast meetup, is one of 3
                possibilities:

                1. You will get her fired.
                2. Warner will get scared and stop letting her play the music, in
                which case we all lose.
                3. She will remove indie from her show description

                FYI, Warner is slowly making music podsafe. There are 2 Warner bands
                (The Subways, Rock Kills Kid) on the Podsafe Music Network, as well as
                East West, which is a division of Warner. They should be commended for
                embracing podcasting, not condemned. I am going to go to Kami's site
                and make a donation to the cause.

                Just my opinion.

                On 8/3/06, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                > On 8/3/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > PodcastingNews.com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under
                > > the Radar
                > > podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
                > > (http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2006/08/major_record_la_1.html).
                > > Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site,
                > > complete
                > > with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the
                > > host
                > > hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that
                > > the
                > > podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a
                > different
                > > turn.
                > > _
                > >

                > So THAT'S how she gets away with using RIAA music!
                >
                > Whoa, she's a rebel. </sarcasm>
                > --
                > Laura Ross
                >
                > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                > http://coffeeandteashow.com
                > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194

                The Rock and Roll Geek Show

                This is the real school of Rock!
                Interviews, Music and Talk From a
                Rock and Roll Geek

                http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
              • George L Smyth
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                  --- Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                  > On 8/3/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > PodcastingNews.com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under
                  > > the Radar
                  > > podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
                  > > (http://www.podcastingnews.com/archives/2006/08/major_record_la_1.html).
                  > > Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site,
                  > > complete
                  > > with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the
                  > > host
                  > > hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that
                  > > the
                  > > podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a different
                  > > turn.
                  > > _
                  > >

                  > So THAT'S how she gets away with using RIAA music!
                  >
                  > Whoa, she's a rebel. </sarcasm>
                  > --
                  > Laura Ross

                  As I mentioned in my blog
                  <advertisement>http://www.bloglines.com/blog/EclecticMix?id=32</advertisement>,
                  there's nothing inherently wrong with a label playing their own music - I
                  subscribe to such a podcast. But the deception is simply evil.

                  Cheers -

                  george

                  -------------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    --- Paul Puri <prp6040@...> wrote:

                    > Under the Radar Podcast. Featuring great indie bands such as Tom Petty, Chris
                    > Isaac, and Better Than Ezra. Everyone is most welcome to the podcasting
                    > community, but who do they think they are fooling?
                    >
                    > Dugg!
                    >
                    > By the way, I love those artists, and grew up listening to them. I wonder if
                    > they have any thoughts as to their music being offered as 'indie' in order to
                    > fool people.

                    Paul -

                    Probably about as much as those who had root kits put onto their CDs. <g>

                    Cheers -

                    george

                    -------------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      >From: Michael Butler <rockandrollgeek@...>
                      >To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                      >All you are going to accomplish by making such a big deal of this,
                      >other than bragging rights at the next podcast meetup, is one of 3
                      >possibilities:

                      First of all Michael, I have met you at the SF meetup, and I respect you very much. That out of the way, thanks for the insight into my intentions. I expect you to hand over the mic promptly when I start bragging.

                      >1. You will get her fired.
                      >2. Warner will get scared and stop letting her play the music, in
                      >which case we all lose.
                      >3. She will remove indie from her show description

                      The only thing I see happening of the 3 is the last scenario. Which would be Warner Bros. actually truthfully representing the podcast. If there are indeed truly unsigned bands on the show, good for them. But posing the podcast as an indie only show is a lie. The show is owned by WB, is being fed from WB's servers, and the host works for WB. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the whole thing was the WB's idea. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Most likely. But I have a problem with people misrepresenting themselves to the public. But of course, you have to consider the source.

                      The other problem I have is the donation button. Where is the money going? Is the WB that hard up for cash? Or did they put the button up there for that 'indie' look? I don't have all the answers, but it doesn't look good.

                      >FYI, Warner is slowly making music podsafe. There are 2 Warner bands
                      >(The Subways, Rock Kills Kid) on the Podsafe Music Network, as well as
                      >East West, which is a division of Warner. They should be commended for
                      >embracing podcasting, not condemned. I am going to go to Kami's site
                      >and make a donation to the cause.

                      And that is fantastic! As I said before, there is plenty of room in the podcasting community. There are a lot of labels contributing to the PMN, and places like IODA. But they are not doing it to be nice. It is purely for marketing purposes, which is very smart on their part. But I doubt we will all be singing kumbayaa by the fire anytime soon. When they have a reasonable licensing scheme for podcasters, and start to embrace new media without first trying to destroy it, they will have my vote. But we all know those stories. Blah, blah, RIAA, blah.....

                      >Just my opinion.

                      Mine too. Cause I got nothing else ;)

                      http://podcastguild.com/

                      On 8/3/06, Flyswatter <luara.mom@gmail. com> wrote:

                      > On 8/3/06, George L Smyth <glsmyth@yahoo. com> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > PodcastingNews. com offered a story yesterday exposing the Bands Under
                      > > the Radar
                      > > podcast as a shill for Warner Brothers Records
                      > > (http://www.podcasti ngnews.com/ archives/ 2006/08/major_ record_la_ 1.html).
                      > > Looking at the supporting website, it appears to be a typical site,
                      > > complete
                      > > with Donate button and all. But when you realize that not only does the
                      > > host
                      > > hold the position as Warner Brothers New Media Coordinator, but also that
                      > > the
                      > > podcast is being served by Warner Brothers server, things take a
                      > different
                      > > turn.
                      > > _
                      > >

                      > So THAT'S how she gets away with using RIAA music!
                      >
                      > Whoa, she's a rebel. </sarcasm>
                      > --
                      > Laura Ross
                      >
                      > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                      > http://coffeeandtea show.com
                      > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194

                      The Rock and Roll Geek Show

                      This is the real school of Rock!
                      Interviews, Music and Talk From a
                      Rock and Roll Geek

                      http://www.rockandr ollgeek.com

                    • Jake Ludington
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        > FYI, Warner is slowly making music podsafe. There are 2 Warner bands
                        > (The Subways, Rock Kills Kid) on the Podsafe Music Network, as well as
                        > East West, which is a division of Warner. They should be commended for
                        > embracing podcasting, not condemned. I am going to go to Kami's site
                        > and make a donation to the cause.

                        Great points! I'm a huge indie rock fan, but the real win would be having
                        labels of all sizes figure out that podcasting is not the enemy.

                        The guy at Warner who really "gets it" is Ethan Kaplan:
                        http://blackrimglasses.com/

                        Ethan's a music fan first and a Warner employee second. I don't think he has
                        his own podcast, but he's trying really hard to move Warner in the right
                        direction online and he's in a good position to advocate for change.

                        Jake Ludington

                        http://www.jakeludington.com

                        Start Podcasting
                        http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                      • Michael Butler
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          > The only thing I see happening of the 3 is the last scenario. Which would
                          > be Warner Bros. actually truthfully representing the podcast. If there are
                          > indeed truly unsigned bands on the show, good for them. But posing the
                          > podcast as an indie only show is a lie. The show is owned by WB, is being
                          > fed from WB's servers, and the host works for WB. So I'm going to go out on
                          > a limb and say that the whole thing was the WB's idea. Am I making a
                          > mountain out of a molehill? Most likely. But I have a problem with people
                          > misrepresenting themselves to the public. But of course, you have to
                          > consider the source.

                          Does indie mean unsigned? I believe it is now such a broad term that
                          it is just a description of the style of music at this point.

                          > The other problem I have is the donation button. Where is the money going?
                          > Is the WB that hard up for cash? Or did they put the button up there for
                          > that 'indie' look? I don't have all the answers, but it doesn't look good.

                          I guarantee you the money goes to Kami, who is doing it because she
                          loves the music. Come on, do you think thousands of dollars are
                          getting donated? The paypal link goes to her personal paypal acct,
                          btw.
                        • George L Smyth
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                            --- Michael Butler <rockandrollgeek@...> wrote:

                            > All you are going to accomplish by making such a big deal of this,
                            > other than bragging rights at the next podcast meetup, is one of 3
                            > possibilities:
                            >
                            > 1. You will get her fired.
                            > 2. Warner will get scared and stop letting her play the music, in
                            > which case we all lose.
                            > 3. She will remove indie from her show description

                            If she gets fired for this then it would be appropriate. This is something
                            that puts all music podcasters under scrutiny and suspicion - it's too bad that
                            someone who got tricked into giving a donation will probably not bother with
                            the next podcast.

                            I expect that Warner Brothers will tell her to stop what she is doing - at
                            least, the legal department. One end of the company is fighting the release of
                            music, while the other is doing so on the sly. Which side do you think the
                            legal department will come down on. In that case, we all win.

                            The third case is what they should have done in the first place. The music
                            monopoly apparently never thought to inject truth and honor into what they do,
                            so I'm sure that this deceitful way of doing things was their natural first
                            thought.

                            Nothing at all wrong with a label playing and promoting their own music (like I
                            said, I subscribe to Naxos' podcast), but why not simply be honest about it?
                            I'm sure it never entered their mind

                            Cheers -

                            george

                            Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com