Re: [podcasters] Recording interviews

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      Quoting Stephen Eley <SFEley@...>:

      > On 8/1/06, LARRY WANGER <lsw999@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> When I record shows at home I use my Mac and either record directly
      >> through the wall jack for phone calls or use Skipe and Audio Hijack
      >> to record. However, at work I'm using a PC and don't have a
      >> "normal" phone set up. I've got a situation where we use VOIP
      >> service and the phone literally plugs in to the computer network.
      >> Can someone recommend something that will enable me to record at
      >> work? What is free to install on a PC that would allow me to use
      >> Skipe to record calls? Alternatively, is there a simple way to
      >> record phone calls through our phone system?
      >
      > Did you really say "simple" and "phone system" in the same sentence? >8->
      >
      > I'd say you're probably best off saving your IT department's sanity
      > (or whoever runs your phone system) and using Skype on your own
      > machine. Besides, you're already familiar with it.
      >
      > The HotRecorder suggestion is a good one. Or, if you want something
      > that will not only record your calls, but answer them, manage your
      > voicemail, walk your dog and make your coffee, you could try Pamela:
      >
      > http://www.pamela-systems.com/products/
      >
      > It's supposed to have podcasting features too, but you're probably
      > best off ignoring that and doing things the way you're used to doing
      > them, with real audio editing software.

      Steve,
      I'd hate to contradict you regarding HotRecorder, but IMO,
      it's a pile of poo-poo! I lost many a recording because of
      it either freezing or just not getting the file properly
      encoded. Plus, you have to use a second piece of software
      (from the HotRecorder people) to convert the proprietary
      file to something almost usable. I'd recommend staying away
      from HotRecorder -- unless you're a stress junkie.

      Pamela, while being a swiss-knife application, does to the
      recording quite well, including allowing you to adjust
      volume settings while recording. Since it records two
      channels, you have your voice on one and the other end of
      the conversation on the other channel. I've been using it
      for a few months now without a hiccup.

      Best,

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine