Re: [podcasters] Dynamic Ad Insertion

  • robert
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      > Warning - Shameless plug for my book coming.

      Eric - for item number 1. Me and Mur cover what the splits are for
      many of the Automatic Ad Insertion networks, in our book Tricks of
      the Podcasting Masters.

      Chapter 18 starting around page 300.

      We cover about 10 of the networks.

      Rob W
      podCast411

      > _____

    • bryannpr
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

        > Well, that was stupid.
        >
        > Oh well. If anyone wants my number or Skype handle, I guess you have
        > it now. No big deal. Good thing I didn't have a reason to e-mail him
        > my Social Security number!

        The info was good, though! :)

        A few other additions:

        * Make sure the bitrates for the segments are the same, and ideally the
        normalization. Nothing more jarring then soft content, LOUD AD, soft
        content.

        * Be careful to analyze the resulting file to make sure you have
        preserved any embedded ID3 info. At NPR we ran into an issue where our
        intro segment was encoded with LAME, which adds a specific header area
        that stores the duration of the file. MP3 cat does not re-write this
        field, so if your intro was 4 seconds and you stitch another 30 minutes
        of content, the header still says 4 seconds. One of the recent
        iterations of iTunes started paying attention to this field, and thus,
        all podcasts quit after 4 seconds. Not a good user experience...

        * Watch your meta. Stitching can wipe it out. And sometimes, things
        like embedded images will cause a stitch to fail. You may need to clean
        each segment, then stitch, then re-encode the meta.

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
          On 8/2/06, bryannpr <bryannpr@...> wrote:

          > * Make sure the bitrates for the segments are the same, and ideally the
          > normalization. Nothing more jarring then soft content, LOUD AD, soft
          > content.

          Strong agreement on the normalization. There are some tools that can
          help with this, like MP3Gain. (And I know Doug Kaye's team built a
          great uploader/normalizer that I hope they'll open up to the public
          sometime.) >8->

          Bit rate -- it's a good idea to make sure you're consistent with the
          bit rate and sample rate, but I did some 'curiosity' testing on
          concatenating multiple MP3 files with different bit and sample rates
          together, and they played fine in the couple of players I tried.
          Combining two files with different bit rates turns your file into a
          VBR (variable bitrate) file, which almost all modern players know how
          to handle. Some of them might get confused about the duration,
          though, or express funny behavior when you pause or seek in the file.
          I don't know what you call it when you combine two files with
          different sample rates, except "silly."

          In any case, if you have control over your content it's a much better
          idea to keep all the encoding parameters the same. It's not strictly
          necessary, but it reduces a lot of risk of somebody's player breaking
          somewhere.

          > * Be careful to analyze the resulting file to make sure you have
          > preserved any embedded ID3 info.

          Very good point. This would be pretty easy to do with a dynamic
          script. (There are modules in Perl and many other languages for
          reading and writing ID3 tags.)

          > * Watch your meta. Stitching can wipe it out. And sometimes, things
          > like embedded images will cause a stitch to fail. You may need to clean
          > each segment, then stitch, then re-encode the meta.

          Really? I didn't know that! Thinking about it, I suppose a really
          *large* amount of metadata could overload a player's frame buffer and
          convince it there weren't any more sound frames. The problem with
          making assumptions about this would be the testing required on every
          player... So yes, I think you're right. The safest course is just to
          programmatically take all tags out and put the "right" ones back at
          the beginning.

          Thanks for the practical insight! I really enjoy geeking on the
          details of things like this...

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Michael Elsdoerfer
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
            > 'cat FirstHalf.mp3 AdToInsert.mp3 SecondHalf.mp3 > FinalFile.mp3'

            Basically, yes, that's it. In real life it becomes slightly more
            complicated, though (as is probably always the case ;)).

            Bryan mentioned most of it, frequency, bitrate, id3 tags (v1 and v2 might
            require different handling, depending on how you do it), but also HTTP
            headers, caching, download resuming etc. need to be considered.

            Doing all that on every request is really inefficient, too. Be sure to at
            least cache each combination of ad and episode, or even better, forget cat &
            friends and create a module for the webserver of your choice. It's
            surprisingly simple to write an Apache output filter to accomplish "real"
            on-the-fly mp3 merging, without relevant performance penalties.

            In fact, the guy who, as I understand it, wrote the module Kiptronic is
            offering/using has published a couple of articles on the subject on ONLamp.

            Michael
          • Adam Varga
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2006
              We've got a PHP script for stitching MP3s
              http://www.dailysonic.com/manglepod/
              Feel free to use it in terms for whatever... its a GPL License,
              meaning you can use it for commercial uses too... modify it....

              Also... in terms of splits...
              You might wanna check out this comparison chart
              http://www.okaytoplay.com/podcast-advertising-companies/

              - Adam

              --
              DAILYSONIC feed your ears