Re: [podcasters] New to group

  • Todd Daniel
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Larry,

      Excellent website, blog, and podcast. I do not know what disability you have, but you are gifted with a great voice. Your sound quality is excellent throughout, and your topics are rich in variety and interesting.

      My only suggestion is to lose the cheesy GarageBand riffs. Do some networking and maybe you can find a local sound engineer that will make you a good intro either gratis or very cheap. If you're lucky, he may know some voice talent that needs a little practice.

      Promote your show in the disability community, and your subscriber base will grow quickly. Try to make your show weekly, and be punctual about coming out on the same day. Podcasting is a personal medium and people get attached to their shows and hosts -- always be faithful to your fans. For instance, I plan ahead what podcasts I'm going to listen to at the gym, and if one of my favorite shows are late, I'm pissed.

      The Goose

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        Thanks for the feedback. You are the first to notice the Gerageband tracks
        I used but its all I've got for now. I've tried to locate some podsafe
        music and to gain access to the library at the podsafe music network but had
        some problems for some odd reason. If you've got ideas where I can snag
        some tunes that won't get the damned RIA pissed off I'd appreciate it. I
        think bumpers and the like really help with the show. Realize that most
        people are not using Garage Band and have no clue where the music came from.
        Those of us who are podcast aficionados know of it but that's about the
        extent. You are the first to voice this issue but its certainly worth
        considering.

        I've been promoting the show and continue to network and get the word out.

        Visit my home page at http://www.disabilitynation.net and subscribe to The
        DisabilityNation Podcast.
        > Excellent website, blog, and podcast. I do not know what disability you
        > have, but you are gifted with a great voice. Your sound quality is
        > excellent throughout, and your topics are rich in variety and interesting.
        >
        > My only suggestion is to lose the cheesy GarageBand riffs. Do some
        > networking and maybe you can find a local sound engineer that will make
        > you a good intro either gratis or very cheap. If you're lucky, he may know
        > some voice talent that needs a little practice.
        >
        > Promote your show in the disability community, and your subscriber base
        > will grow quickly. Try to make your show weekly, and be punctual about
        > coming out on the same day. Podcasting is a personal medium and people get
        > attached to their shows and hosts -- always be faithful to your fans. For
        > instance, I plan ahead what podcasts I'm going to listen to at the gym,
        > and if one of my favorite shows are late, I'm pissed.
        >
        > The Goose

      • Todd Daniel
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
          Larry,

          Your homework assignment is to explore the RadioDaddy option and report back
          to the group. :-)

          http://www.radiodaddy.com/

          You¹re right ­ less then 5% of computer owners are Mac users. The percentage
          is obviously much higher with podcasters, but probably about the industry
          average for listeners, so not many people will recognize the ³Yearbook²
          riff.

          No, you don¹t want to piss off the RIAA with a copyright violation.

          Goose

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
            On 8/2/06, Todd Daniel <todddan@...> wrote:

            > You¹re right ­ less then 5% of computer owners are Mac users. The percentage
            > is obviously much higher with podcasters, but probably about the industry
            > average for listeners, so not many people will recognize the ³Yearbook²
            > riff.

            Data point: About 30% of my downloads come from Macintosh clients.

            That said, though, I agree that there's nothing wrong with using
            GarageBand music beds. That's what they're there for, and most of
            them don't sound bad.

            I listened to the beginning of Disability Nation #5, and the music
            sounded fine to me. My only suggestion is that running it to
            completion is slightly too long; I would consider either fading it out
            after the first drum riff or just ducking and talking over it. >8->
            But it wasn't bad at all.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • George L Smyth
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- LARRY WANGER <lsw999@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the feedback. You are the first to notice the Gerageband tracks
              > I used but its all I've got for now. I've tried to locate some podsafe
              > music and to gain access to the library at the podsafe music network but had
              > some problems for some odd reason. If you've got ideas where I can snag
              > some tunes that won't get the damned RIA pissed off I'd appreciate it. I
              > think bumpers and the like really help with the show. Realize that most
              > people are not using Garage Band and have no clue where the music came from.
              > Those of us who are podcast aficionados know of it but that's about the
              > extent. You are the first to voice this issue but its certainly worth
              > considering.

              Larry -

              I'd send you to Magnatune.com, which is a label that is actually very nice not
              only to podcasters, but also the artists and purchasers. I've used their music
              on numerous Eclectic Mix shows (including this Saturday's show).

              Cheers -

              george

              Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
              One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131