Re: [podcasters] Alesis Multimix Firewire mixers

  • Kristopher Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      My MobilePre has issues of changing sampling rates on the fly when more
      than one application or process is running during a recording session.

      When recording it became a crap shoot if I would get a clean file that
      wouldn't require a pitch shift, time stretch or both to correct the
      sampling rate change

      I blame the drivers but I could be wrong. I'll respond to the email
      question off list.

      //Kris

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        I had the same problem... Here is what I did and it seemed to help...

        Disabled the power management for all USB root hubs

        1. Open the Device Manager (Start-> right click on "My Computer", click on
        "Properties" -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
        2. Look under the category Universal Serial Bus controllers and find the USB
        Root Hub.
        3. Right click and select Properties, go to the Power Management tab
        4. Uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save
        power."

        Repeat this for each of the USB Root Hubs shown in the Device Manager.

        Double Checked all drivers

        Shutoff all powersaving options and anything that shuts off USB/Cardbus

        TURNED OFF ALL SOUNDS - Apparently there is some kind of clocking issue with
        System sounds, when they play, are all clocked at 22kHz, and this promptly
        resets your soundcard's driver to run at this rate. If you try to continue
        to play an Audition file after this has happened, it comes out at twice the
        pitch. This has, for many years, been the most common reason for this to
        happen. Go to Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and select the

        'Sounds' tab. Under Sound Scheme, pick 'No Sounds'. This will prevent
        Windows from resetting your soundcard clock rate, and have the additional
        advantage that you don't have to listen to a load of stupid noises!

        I also had a problem with AA2 stopping when the window loses focus...

        Go to Edit > Audio Hardware Setup and ensure that the box that says "Release
        ASIO Driver in Background" is not ticked.

        If it is ticked, Audition will stop playing or (worse) will stop recording
        when you "click away" from the program (more correctly, when the program
        loses focus) to enable other programs to use the ASIO driver, which normally
        cannot otherwise be shared.

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          On 8/1/06, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone tried the Alesis or any othr Firewire mixer? I currently
          > have a M-audio MobilePre, but one of the limitations of USB is that
          > there is a limit to 1 stereo channel to and from the MobilePre. By
          > using firewire, the Alesis Multimix can record each channel on the
          > mixer into it's own channel in your application. Or at least that's
          > the theory.

          Heh. Funny you should mention it -- I transitioned at the end of last
          year from a MobilePre to a Mackie Onyx 1220 with the optional Firewire
          card. That's extreme overkill for what I'm doing with Escape Pod, and
          ordinarily hugely expensive. But there was a promotion going on with
          several retailers at the time, where you could buy the mixer and get
          the FW card for free (a $400 value).

          My major frustration with the MobilePre wasn't the sample rate
          switching described here, or the lack of multichannel. It was noise.
          I was using a Shure SM57 at the time, and to get any sound out of it I
          had to turn the MobilePre's gain up most of the way. And that created
          a definite hiss. It wasn't terrible, but it grated on me more and
          more. My reason for choosing the Mackie Onyx was that the preamps are
          famous for their quiet clarity. I can plug in my condenser mic and
          turn the gain all the way up to +60 dB -- and I'll hear my breath, and
          my clothes rustling, and the air moving, and insects outside through
          the wall, and the traffic from the highway across the river -- but *no
          noise from the mixer*. It's a beautiful thing, even if it's 11 more
          channels than I usually need.

          Anyway. The Mackie's Firewire definitely outputs 14 channels (one for
          each of the mixer's channels, plus a final stereo mix) and it's my
          understanding that the Alesis does similar. I'm not aware yet of a
          USB mixer that can perform this trick. It's not the data speed that
          gets in the way of this, but rather traffic conflicts and CPU
          limitations. Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
          channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
          like that.

          Will the Alesis work for your Skype calls? Probably. The one time I
          tried to patch my Mackie into Skype, I ran into weird difficulties.
          Skype just wouldn't see it as a device, I couldn't get sound out, etc.
          But that was last year and several Skype versions ago, and it was
          also on a Mac, which was always a redheaded stepchild for Skype. So
          things could be better now. And even if they aren't, you could run an
          analog line through just for Skype input and then catch the digital
          output in your recording program. There's always a way to do things
          by adding more wires. >8->

          http://www.escapepod.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            On 8/1/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@...> wrote:
            > [ . . . ] Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
            > channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
            > like that.

            Oh, and I almost forgot -- I wrote up a brief essay on the Pedant blog
            a couple months back about the differences between USB and Firewire,
            as they relate to audio:

            http://www.podcastpedant.com/2006/05/10/firewire-vs-usb/

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
              I've been using an Alesis Multimix 8 for a few months now, and I really like
              it. You can use each input strip on the Multimix as a track in your DAW
              software (I use Garageband), or you can create stereo pairs. The Multimix
              has mic pre's and phantom power built-in, so you can connect all kinds of
              audio sources. You can also use the Multimix as a stand-alone analog
              mixer. It does have some built-in effects, but unfortunately, you can't use
              them while recording with the unit. Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you
              have any specific questions, and I'll try to help you out.

              -Shawn