RE: [podcasters] Alesis Multimix Firewire mixers

  • Justin Kaiser - Mailing Lists
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      Kris, I've got 2 mobile pre's and haven't had any issues. What problems
      have you had? BTW, did you ever get that e-mail regarding Betsy and an
      interview? I don't know if my e-mail to you is ending up in a black hole or
      if you're just really busy.

      Justin

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        My MobilePre has issues of changing sampling rates on the fly when more
        than one application or process is running during a recording session.

        When recording it became a crap shoot if I would get a clean file that
        wouldn't require a pitch shift, time stretch or both to correct the
        sampling rate change

        I blame the drivers but I could be wrong. I'll respond to the email
        question off list.

        //Kris

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          I had the same problem... Here is what I did and it seemed to help...

          Disabled the power management for all USB root hubs

          1. Open the Device Manager (Start-> right click on "My Computer", click on
          "Properties" -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
          2. Look under the category Universal Serial Bus controllers and find the USB
          Root Hub.
          3. Right click and select Properties, go to the Power Management tab
          4. Uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save
          power."

          Repeat this for each of the USB Root Hubs shown in the Device Manager.

          Double Checked all drivers

          Shutoff all powersaving options and anything that shuts off USB/Cardbus

          TURNED OFF ALL SOUNDS - Apparently there is some kind of clocking issue with
          System sounds, when they play, are all clocked at 22kHz, and this promptly
          resets your soundcard's driver to run at this rate. If you try to continue
          to play an Audition file after this has happened, it comes out at twice the
          pitch. This has, for many years, been the most common reason for this to
          happen. Go to Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and select the

          'Sounds' tab. Under Sound Scheme, pick 'No Sounds'. This will prevent
          Windows from resetting your soundcard clock rate, and have the additional
          advantage that you don't have to listen to a load of stupid noises!

          I also had a problem with AA2 stopping when the window loses focus...

          Go to Edit > Audio Hardware Setup and ensure that the box that says "Release
          ASIO Driver in Background" is not ticked.

          If it is ticked, Audition will stop playing or (worse) will stop recording
          when you "click away" from the program (more correctly, when the program
          loses focus) to enable other programs to use the ASIO driver, which normally
          cannot otherwise be shared.

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            On 8/1/06, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone tried the Alesis or any othr Firewire mixer? I currently
            > have a M-audio MobilePre, but one of the limitations of USB is that
            > there is a limit to 1 stereo channel to and from the MobilePre. By
            > using firewire, the Alesis Multimix can record each channel on the
            > mixer into it's own channel in your application. Or at least that's
            > the theory.

            Heh. Funny you should mention it -- I transitioned at the end of last
            year from a MobilePre to a Mackie Onyx 1220 with the optional Firewire
            card. That's extreme overkill for what I'm doing with Escape Pod, and
            ordinarily hugely expensive. But there was a promotion going on with
            several retailers at the time, where you could buy the mixer and get
            the FW card for free (a $400 value).

            My major frustration with the MobilePre wasn't the sample rate
            switching described here, or the lack of multichannel. It was noise.
            I was using a Shure SM57 at the time, and to get any sound out of it I
            had to turn the MobilePre's gain up most of the way. And that created
            a definite hiss. It wasn't terrible, but it grated on me more and
            more. My reason for choosing the Mackie Onyx was that the preamps are
            famous for their quiet clarity. I can plug in my condenser mic and
            turn the gain all the way up to +60 dB -- and I'll hear my breath, and
            my clothes rustling, and the air moving, and insects outside through
            the wall, and the traffic from the highway across the river -- but *no
            noise from the mixer*. It's a beautiful thing, even if it's 11 more
            channels than I usually need.

            Anyway. The Mackie's Firewire definitely outputs 14 channels (one for
            each of the mixer's channels, plus a final stereo mix) and it's my
            understanding that the Alesis does similar. I'm not aware yet of a
            USB mixer that can perform this trick. It's not the data speed that
            gets in the way of this, but rather traffic conflicts and CPU
            limitations. Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
            channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
            like that.

            Will the Alesis work for your Skype calls? Probably. The one time I
            tried to patch my Mackie into Skype, I ran into weird difficulties.
            Skype just wouldn't see it as a device, I couldn't get sound out, etc.
            But that was last year and several Skype versions ago, and it was
            also on a Mac, which was always a redheaded stepchild for Skype. So
            things could be better now. And even if they aren't, you could run an
            analog line through just for Skype input and then catch the digital
            output in your recording program. There's always a way to do things
            by adding more wires. >8->

            http://www.escapepod.org
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              On 8/1/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@...> wrote:
              > [ . . . ] Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
              > channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
              > like that.

              Oh, and I almost forgot -- I wrote up a brief essay on the Pedant blog
              a couple months back about the differences between USB and Firewire,
              as they relate to audio:

              http://www.podcastpedant.com/2006/05/10/firewire-vs-usb/

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                I've been using an Alesis Multimix 8 for a few months now, and I really like
                it. You can use each input strip on the Multimix as a track in your DAW
                software (I use Garageband), or you can create stereo pairs. The Multimix
                has mic pre's and phantom power built-in, so you can connect all kinds of
                audio sources. You can also use the Multimix as a stand-alone analog
                mixer. It does have some built-in effects, but unfortunately, you can't use
                them while recording with the unit. Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you
                have any specific questions, and I'll try to help you out.

                -Shawn