Re: [podcasters] Alesis Multimix Firewire mixers

  • Kris Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      For multi-track firewire you might check out the PreSonus Firepod -
      http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html. Retail is about $200 cheaper than
      they list on their page.

      I've had one now for a few months and it works great. I've had much
      better luck with it than the MobilePre.

      It comes with Cubase LE and will let you record 6 channels of the audio.
      To get all 8 you need to upgrade to the full version.

      // Kris

      Martin McKeay wrote:
      > Howdy,
      >
      > I'm looking at purchasing an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire mixer to
      > replace the Phonic MU802 I'm currently using. I'm going to use the
      > capabilities of the Multimix to allow me to seperate my outgoing audio
      > from the incoming audio of Skype callers, which I can't do with my
      > current hardware setup.
      >
      > Has anyone tried the Alesis or any othr Firewire mixer? I currently
      > have a M-audio MobilePre, but one of the limitations of USB is that
      > there is a limit to 1 stereo channel to and from the MobilePre. By
      > using firewire, the Alesis Multimix can record each channel on the
      > mixer into it's own channel in your application. Or at least that's
      > the theory.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Martin

    • Justin Kaiser - Mailing Lists
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        Kris, I've got 2 mobile pre's and haven't had any issues. What problems
        have you had? BTW, did you ever get that e-mail regarding Betsy and an
        interview? I don't know if my e-mail to you is ending up in a black hole or
        if you're just really busy.

        Justin

        _____

        For multi-track firewire you might check out the PreSonus Firepod -
        http://www.presonus <http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html.>

        Martin McKeay wrote:
        > Howdy,
        >
        > I'm looking at purchasing an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire mixer to
        > replace the Phonic MU802 I'm currently using. I'm going to use the
        > capabilities of the Multimix to allow me to seperate my outgoing audio
        > from the incoming audio of Skype callers, which I can't do with my
        > current hardware setup.
        >
        > Has anyone tried the Alesis or any othr Firewire mixer? I currently
        > have a M-audio MobilePre, but one of the limitations of USB is that
        > there is a limit to 1 stereo channel to and from the MobilePre. By
        > using firewire, the Alesis Multimix can record each channel on the
        > mixer into it's own channel in your application. Or at least that's
        > the theory.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Martin

      • Kristopher Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
          My MobilePre has issues of changing sampling rates on the fly when more
          than one application or process is running during a recording session.

          When recording it became a crap shoot if I would get a clean file that
          wouldn't require a pitch shift, time stretch or both to correct the
          sampling rate change

          I blame the drivers but I could be wrong. I'll respond to the email
          question off list.

          //Kris

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
            I had the same problem... Here is what I did and it seemed to help...

            Disabled the power management for all USB root hubs

            1. Open the Device Manager (Start-> right click on "My Computer", click on
            "Properties" -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
            2. Look under the category Universal Serial Bus controllers and find the USB
            Root Hub.
            3. Right click and select Properties, go to the Power Management tab
            4. Uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save
            power."

            Repeat this for each of the USB Root Hubs shown in the Device Manager.

            Double Checked all drivers

            Shutoff all powersaving options and anything that shuts off USB/Cardbus

            TURNED OFF ALL SOUNDS - Apparently there is some kind of clocking issue with
            System sounds, when they play, are all clocked at 22kHz, and this promptly
            resets your soundcard's driver to run at this rate. If you try to continue
            to play an Audition file after this has happened, it comes out at twice the
            pitch. This has, for many years, been the most common reason for this to
            happen. Go to Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and select the

            'Sounds' tab. Under Sound Scheme, pick 'No Sounds'. This will prevent
            Windows from resetting your soundcard clock rate, and have the additional
            advantage that you don't have to listen to a load of stupid noises!

            I also had a problem with AA2 stopping when the window loses focus...

            Go to Edit > Audio Hardware Setup and ensure that the box that says "Release
            ASIO Driver in Background" is not ticked.

            If it is ticked, Audition will stop playing or (worse) will stop recording
            when you "click away" from the program (more correctly, when the program
            loses focus) to enable other programs to use the ASIO driver, which normally
            cannot otherwise be shared.

            _____

            <http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html.> .com/firepod.html.>

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
              On 8/1/06, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone tried the Alesis or any othr Firewire mixer? I currently
              > have a M-audio MobilePre, but one of the limitations of USB is that
              > there is a limit to 1 stereo channel to and from the MobilePre. By
              > using firewire, the Alesis Multimix can record each channel on the
              > mixer into it's own channel in your application. Or at least that's
              > the theory.

              Heh. Funny you should mention it -- I transitioned at the end of last
              year from a MobilePre to a Mackie Onyx 1220 with the optional Firewire
              card. That's extreme overkill for what I'm doing with Escape Pod, and
              ordinarily hugely expensive. But there was a promotion going on with
              several retailers at the time, where you could buy the mixer and get
              the FW card for free (a $400 value).

              My major frustration with the MobilePre wasn't the sample rate
              switching described here, or the lack of multichannel. It was noise.
              I was using a Shure SM57 at the time, and to get any sound out of it I
              had to turn the MobilePre's gain up most of the way. And that created
              a definite hiss. It wasn't terrible, but it grated on me more and
              more. My reason for choosing the Mackie Onyx was that the preamps are
              famous for their quiet clarity. I can plug in my condenser mic and
              turn the gain all the way up to +60 dB -- and I'll hear my breath, and
              my clothes rustling, and the air moving, and insects outside through
              the wall, and the traffic from the highway across the river -- but *no
              noise from the mixer*. It's a beautiful thing, even if it's 11 more
              channels than I usually need.

              Anyway. The Mackie's Firewire definitely outputs 14 channels (one for
              each of the mixer's channels, plus a final stereo mix) and it's my
              understanding that the Alesis does similar. I'm not aware yet of a
              USB mixer that can perform this trick. It's not the data speed that
              gets in the way of this, but rather traffic conflicts and CPU
              limitations. Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
              channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
              like that.

              Will the Alesis work for your Skype calls? Probably. The one time I
              tried to patch my Mackie into Skype, I ran into weird difficulties.
              Skype just wouldn't see it as a device, I couldn't get sound out, etc.
              But that was last year and several Skype versions ago, and it was
              also on a Mac, which was always a redheaded stepchild for Skype. So
              things could be better now. And even if they aren't, you could run an
              analog line through just for Skype input and then catch the digital
              output in your recording program. There's always a way to do things
              by adding more wires. >8->

              http://www.escapepod.org
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
                On 8/1/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@...> wrote:
                > [ . . . ] Firewire supports an 'isochronous' mode where every
                > channel can get its own dedicated chunk of bandwidth; USB has nothing
                > like that.

                Oh, and I almost forgot -- I wrote up a brief essay on the Pedant blog
                a couple months back about the differences between USB and Firewire,
                as they relate to audio:

                http://www.podcastpedant.com/2006/05/10/firewire-vs-usb/

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Shawn Thorpe
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                  I've been using an Alesis Multimix 8 for a few months now, and I really like
                  it. You can use each input strip on the Multimix as a track in your DAW
                  software (I use Garageband), or you can create stereo pairs. The Multimix
                  has mic pre's and phantom power built-in, so you can connect all kinds of
                  audio sources. You can also use the Multimix as a stand-alone analog
                  mixer. It does have some built-in effects, but unfortunately, you can't use
                  them while recording with the unit. Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you
                  have any specific questions, and I'll try to help you out.

                  -Shawn