Re: [podcasters] unchanged feed but listeners experiencing repeat downloads

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
      I have noticed that from you but also from Keith and the Girl, Podcast
      411, Nate and Di, Fox and the City, Iron Dove, WGBH Morning Stories,
      Soccergirl, etc. Some, not all, are Libsyn.

      If you figure it out, that would certainly be nice! It's no real
      biggie, but still.

      --
      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194

      On 7/31/06, Charles Hodgson <charles@...> wrote:

      > I have heard from a number of my listeners over the last several weeks
      > that their podcatchers are re-downloading past episodes of
      > podictionary. I have not made any changes to the feed (other than new
      > posts). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wondered if it
      > might be that my rss file was getting too big (300+ episodes) but one
      > of my listeners seemed to be seeing this with the weekly (only about
      > 60 episodes). Libsyn is generating my feeds and I don't see anyone on
      > their board or here complaining of this problem. I assume since I've
      > heard from several listeners that it must be happening to many more.

    • George L Smyth
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- Charles Hodgson <charles@...> wrote:

        > I have heard from a number of my listeners over the last several weeks
        > that their podcatchers are re-downloading past episodes of
        > podictionary. I have not made any changes to the feed (other than new
        > posts). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wondered if it
        > might be that my rss file was getting too big (300+ episodes) but one
        > of my listeners seemed to be seeing this with the weekly (only about
        > 60 episodes). Libsyn is generating my feeds and I don't see anyone on
        > their board or here complaining of this problem. I assume since I've
        > heard from several listeners that it must be happening to many more.

        Charles -

        I see that your feed is coming directly from Libsyn, so I am wondering if you
        have changed anything recently. I use Libsyn and point to it from Feedburner.
        Back in April, the names of my mp3 files were being changed from EMix###.mp3 to
        EclecticMix###.mp3, then a couple of months ago they were changed again to
        something else (I don't remember, but it had nothing to do with my naming
        convention).

        When I returned from vacation last Monday I found out that anyone using iPodder
        (like me) or Juice (like me, at work) could not download my show (I couldn't
        download my show, as well as several others). The workaround was to uncheck
        the two boxes in the Feedburner StandardStats section. For whatever reason,
        that changed the filenames back to EMix###.mp3, which was my naming convention.
        The next morning I had downloaded all of my shows back to April.

        So this is apparently a one-time thing, and I've seen it with a few other
        podcasts to which I subscribe. I don't know if this is a Libsyn or Feedburner
        thing, but was assuming the latter.

        So anyone using Feedburner should look at the second paragraph and take the
        appropriate action, unless you don't have a problem shutting out the
        iPodder/Juice people (like me <g>).

        Cheers -

        george

        -------------------------------------

        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
        One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
      • Charles Hodgson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...>
          wrote:
          > Charles -
          >
          > I see that your feed is coming directly from Libsyn, so I am
          wondering if you
          > have changed anything recently. I use Libsyn and point to it from
          Feedburner.
          ...I don't know if this is a Libsyn or Feedburner
          > thing, but was assuming the latter.

          Thanks George
          When I started I was too inexperienced to understand tying into
          Feedburner. I haven't changed anything in at least a year for fear
          of breaking what seemed to be working. My only unconventional quirk
          is that I publicize http://www.podictionary.com/rss and have a
          redirect there to http://podictionary.libsyn.com/rss. I did this
          thinking it was safer to own my rss domain, but I think the result
          is that some podcatchers resolve to the libsyn address and some
          don't so I have a mix out there in listener land. This can't be
          related to the repeat download issue.