unchanged feed but listeners experiencing repeat downloads

  • Charles Hodgson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
      I have heard from a number of my listeners over the last several weeks
      that their podcatchers are re-downloading past episodes of
      podictionary. I have not made any changes to the feed (other than new
      posts). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wondered if it
      might be that my rss file was getting too big (300+ episodes) but one
      of my listeners seemed to be seeing this with the weekly (only about
      60 episodes). Libsyn is generating my feeds and I don't see anyone on
      their board or here complaining of this problem. I assume since I've
      heard from several listeners that it must be happening to many more.
    • Flyswatter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
        I have noticed that from you but also from Keith and the Girl, Podcast
        411, Nate and Di, Fox and the City, Iron Dove, WGBH Morning Stories,
        Soccergirl, etc. Some, not all, are Libsyn.

        If you figure it out, that would certainly be nice! It's no real
        biggie, but still.

        --
        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194

        On 7/31/06, Charles Hodgson <charles@...> wrote:

        > I have heard from a number of my listeners over the last several weeks
        > that their podcatchers are re-downloading past episodes of
        > podictionary. I have not made any changes to the feed (other than new
        > posts). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wondered if it
        > might be that my rss file was getting too big (300+ episodes) but one
        > of my listeners seemed to be seeing this with the weekly (only about
        > 60 episodes). Libsyn is generating my feeds and I don't see anyone on
        > their board or here complaining of this problem. I assume since I've
        > heard from several listeners that it must be happening to many more.

      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 5:51 AM
          --- Charles Hodgson <charles@...> wrote:

          > I have heard from a number of my listeners over the last several weeks
          > that their podcatchers are re-downloading past episodes of
          > podictionary. I have not made any changes to the feed (other than new
          > posts). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wondered if it
          > might be that my rss file was getting too big (300+ episodes) but one
          > of my listeners seemed to be seeing this with the weekly (only about
          > 60 episodes). Libsyn is generating my feeds and I don't see anyone on
          > their board or here complaining of this problem. I assume since I've
          > heard from several listeners that it must be happening to many more.

          Charles -

          I see that your feed is coming directly from Libsyn, so I am wondering if you
          have changed anything recently. I use Libsyn and point to it from Feedburner.
          Back in April, the names of my mp3 files were being changed from EMix###.mp3 to
          EclecticMix###.mp3, then a couple of months ago they were changed again to
          something else (I don't remember, but it had nothing to do with my naming
          convention).

          When I returned from vacation last Monday I found out that anyone using iPodder
          (like me) or Juice (like me, at work) could not download my show (I couldn't
          download my show, as well as several others). The workaround was to uncheck
          the two boxes in the Feedburner StandardStats section. For whatever reason,
          that changed the filenames back to EMix###.mp3, which was my naming convention.
          The next morning I had downloaded all of my shows back to April.

          So this is apparently a one-time thing, and I've seen it with a few other
          podcasts to which I subscribe. I don't know if this is a Libsyn or Feedburner
          thing, but was assuming the latter.

          So anyone using Feedburner should look at the second paragraph and take the
          appropriate action, unless you don't have a problem shutting out the
          iPodder/Juice people (like me <g>).

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------

          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
          One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
        • Charles Hodgson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1 10:13 AM
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...>
            wrote:
            > Charles -
            >
            > I see that your feed is coming directly from Libsyn, so I am
            wondering if you
            > have changed anything recently. I use Libsyn and point to it from
            Feedburner.
            ...I don't know if this is a Libsyn or Feedburner
            > thing, but was assuming the latter.

            Thanks George
            When I started I was too inexperienced to understand tying into
            Feedburner. I haven't changed anything in at least a year for fear
            of breaking what seemed to be working. My only unconventional quirk
            is that I publicize http://www.podictionary.com/rss and have a
            redirect there to http://podictionary.libsyn.com/rss. I did this
            thinking it was safer to own my rss domain, but I think the result
            is that some podcatchers resolve to the libsyn address and some
            don't so I have a mix out there in listener land. This can't be
            related to the repeat download issue.