Re: [podcasters] Losing the will to live? Don't forget the link

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
      On 7/28/06, Jon Jacob <jonjacob_uk@...> wrote:
      > And of course ...
      >
      > the RSS feed is http://www.thoroughly-good.com/podcast/tg.xml
      > The website is http://www.thoroughly-good.com

      Well, for one thing, if your feed can't be found on your Web site and
      the stuff on your Web site can't be found on your feed, you're
      certainly not making life easy for new listeners. What's going on
      with that? It doesn't matter if it's in transition -- you *need* to
      have more on your site. And making audio and then not putting it on
      your feed is just shooting yourself in the foot.

      Beyond that... What is your podcast about? Who's your target
      audience? I listened to a few minutes and I wasn't sure. Is it a
      podcast about the BBC? You implied that briefly, but I don't know if
      you just meant your current mini-series about proms, or if you were
      just joking, or what. Certainly there's nothing about your name or
      Web site that tells me what to expect when I listen.

      There are a lot of reasons to podcast. Having a message to get out,
      wanting to share one's tastes in things, or simpy the urge to diarize.
      Podcasting because you "like the sound of your own voice," as I heard
      you say in one of your files, can't be criticized by anyone. But if
      that *is* your motivation, understand that other people will be about
      as motivated to listen as...well, as *you're* motivated to listen to
      *them* talk about everything and nothing.(*)

      The most successful podcasts are about something. They pick a subject
      area, clearly communicate what that subject area is, and attract
      people who are interested in that thing. If you look at the Top 100
      public Feedburner rankings
      (http://www.podfeed.net/feedburner_rankings.asp) -- 95 out of those
      100 have a clear, obvious subject. (And the other 5 are iffy.) They
      aren't just "Here's what's going on in my life and some stuff I'm
      thinking about." They're presenting information. In most cases you
      can tell what they're about from the title.

      I'm not suggesting that you need to do the same thing. Again,
      podcasting just because you want to is totally and fundamentally
      valid. But if you're asking "Where's my audience..." That's a hint
      for you. Audiences gravitate best around subjects. Very few people
      will tune in just to hear someone talk, unless that someone is utterly
      brilliant. (And even then, you have an uphill marketing battle.)

      And if your podcast *is* about something -- then you've really got to
      communicate it more clearly! On your site, in your episode notes, and
      in the first 30 seconds of your podcast. Because I had no idea.

      * (Thanks to Salim Fadhley of Resonance FM for sharing his
      "everything/nothing" podcast theory with me, which I'm blatantly
      ripping off.)

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Paula Berinstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
        Your advice, Steve, and Salim Fadhley's, is excellent and applies to
        most endeavors. Even Seinfeld, which was billed as "the show about
        nothing," was most definitely about something. All proposals and
        marketing should convey what that something is in the first few words or
        images, as you say.

        Paula

        Paula Berinstein
        The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
        http://www.writingshow.com