Re: [podcasters] Attracting a wider audience

  • Mur Lafferty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8 7:36 AM
      On 7/7/06, digital_auteur <digital_auteur@...> wrote:

      > Hi podcasters! we've just started a movie review podcast:
      > www.moviemenu.libsyn.com and I was hoping to get some suggestions on
      > any unique methods I could use to market our podcast. I think the
      > obvious choices would be theater chains, record shops, internet
      > forums, etc. and we would really appreciate it if you visit the site,
      > offer suggestions and maybe download our podcast to tell us what you
      > think.

      You wanted unique:

      Movieminder.com is a site that services the movies for the RTP area of North
      Carolina (the entire area is about 3 million people spread into four cities
      and several smaller towns). Movieminder started out strongly, but is a labor
      of love and they can't keep up with the listings for every theater in the
      area. They have a call out for volunteers. If you volunteer, you might be
      able to promote your podcast on the site as you help out with their
      listings. ("might" - the owners are acquaintances of mine - the friend who
      connects us moved out of town many years ago)

      Podcasting is worldwide, and this would be marketing to a focused area in
      the US, but the information shouldn't be hard to get, and you really
      couldn't ask for a more willing audience.

      Along the same lines, find out how much advertising at citysearch.com costs,
      and you could get on their movie pages ad rotation. I know paying for
      advertising looks kinda scary, but I bought an ad for my writing podcast to
      be put into the event program at the Stoker Awards (horror fiction awards)
      and had a spike in subscribers (that hasn't dropped) right after the show.
      So I think focused advertising works.
      ~
      Mur Lafferty
      http://www.murlafferty.com

      Geek Fu Action Grip
      http://www.geekfuactiongrip.com

      I Should Be Writing
      http://www.ishouldbewriting.com

      "The secret is to never stop writing, through times of feast or times of
      famine."
      ~Eric Burns