Edirol R-9?

  • Ryan Ozawa

      Anyone get their hands on the Edirol R-9? An update to the R-1 and an
      answer to the M-Audio MicroTrack?

      I've been looking for a basic field recording option for a while now (ever
      since I lost my Olympus digital recorder, which really wasn't suited to the
      task anyway), and was waffling between the MicroTrack and waiting for the
      iTalk Pro (which wouldn't sound great, but might be pretty convenient).
      But now the R-9 seems to be the latest unit, and one that learns a bit from
      its predecessors.

      Here's one review:

      http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/01/27/namm-edirols-r-09-sd-based-portabl
      e-usb-recorder/

      Ryan

    • Ryan Ozawa

        So... No thoughts on the R-9? The darn thing is backordered just about
        everywhere, so someone's gotta be buying them!

        Ryan

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
          On 7/10/06, Ryan Ozawa <ryanozawa@...> wrote:

          > So... No thoughts on the R-9?

          My thought is that I wish I had one. >9->

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • dave_r_riley
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Ozawa" <ryanozawa@...> wrote:

            > Anyone get their hands on the Edirol R-9? An update to the R-1 and an
            > answer to the M-Audio MicroTrack?

            Take you questions to these forums -- where there are some Edirol
            owners with the good oil to share:

            http://podcastrigs.net/forum/index.php

            http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php

            http://talk.transom.org/WebX?127@574.1mKWa2JiMa8.0@.ee6b280

            http://todmaffin.com/blogs/radio/?p=912

            Like Stephen Ely I too can only dream...
            But compared to other mobile recording options -- this unit comes at a
            great value for money and is on my Xmas list for anyone within earshot.

            dave riley
            Ratbag Radio Network:
            http://ratbagradionetwork.blogspot.com/
            Send me an audio message:
            http://odeo.com/sendmeamessage/RatbagRadio
            Email: ratbagradio@...

            dave riley
          • C.C. Chapman
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
              I have one and love it. Have been using it to record a couple of episodes of
              Managing the Gray in the car.

              It's as good as the R1, but a whole bunch smaller and I love the display.

              I'm not a hard core audio geek so I can't get into the nitty gritty, but
              I've been extremely happy with it.

              C.C. Chapman

              www. <http://www.managingthegray.com> managingthegray.com

              www.accidenthash.com <http://www.accidenthash.com/>

              www.uturncafe.com <http://www.uturncafe.com/>

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                Actually, as an early adopter who sometimes jumps blindly into these
                new products, I jumped right on the M-Audio Microtrack after seeing
                it at the expo last year. I quickly discoveerd some things I did not
                like about it and have recently switched to the Edirol R-09 which I
                am much happier with. The thing that bugged me most about the M-
                Audio was it's built-in battery which could be replaced only by
                paying M-Audio $75. Furthermore, that battery was continuously
                discharging, even when the unit was turned off. Also, the display
                was not always easy to read. In terms of sound quality, I had no
                complaints at all.

                I really love the Edirol R-09. Not only can I pop in my own
                rechargeable AA batteries but they also seem to have really good
                life. The display and navigation system is superior to that of the M-
                Audio, IMHO. Another big advantage is that the stereo mic is built
                into the unit. The M-Audio provides a separate little stem with two
                mics on it, which makes the unit less compact when the mics are
                plugged in and there is always the danger of losing the mics.

                My one quibble with the Edirol is that there is that there is a
                plastic sliding lid thingee that needs to be slid and swiveled every
                time you access the batteries and/or the USB port. It doesn't look
                that sturdy and considerable force is required. To me, it looks like
                the weak link in the chain and likely to break at some point. For
                this reason, I bought an extended warranty from my local dealer. I'd
                strongly recommend that course of action to any considering the Edirol.

                "Dr. Dave"
                www.ShrinkRapRadio.com
                shrink@...

                "It's all in your mind..."

                If you are a listener, please show us where you are with a push pin
                on our Frappr map!

                http://www.frappr.com/shrinkrapradio
              • Jake Ludington
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                  > am much happier with. The thing that bugged me most about the M-
                  > Audio was it's built-in battery which could be replaced only by
                  > paying M-Audio $75. Furthermore, that battery was continuously
                  > discharging, even when the unit was turned off. Also, the display
                  > was not always easy to read. In terms of sound quality, I had no
                  > complaints at all.

                  It's worth pointing out that the firmware upgrades solved the battery drain
                  problem. We have two Microtrack recorders at this point and neither has a
                  battery drain issue after upgrading to the latest firmware.

                  > I really love the Edirol R-09. Not only can I pop in my own
                  > rechargeable AA batteries but they also seem to have really good
                  > life. The display and navigation system is superior to that of the M-
                  > Audio, IMHO. Another big advantage is that the stereo mic is built
                  > into the unit. The M-Audio provides a separate little stem with two
                  > mics on it, which makes the unit less compact when the mics are
                  > plugged in and there is always the danger of losing the mics.

                  The big downside to both the Edirol R-1 and R-09 is connector types. Both
                  force you to use 1/8-inch mini-jack connections for external gear, which
                  generally means extra adapters (and potential points of noise and failure)
                  when using external microphones.

                  Jake Ludington

                  http://www.jakeludington.com

                  Start Podcasting
                  http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                • David Jackson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15, 2006
                    Jake,
                    I was looking at mini discs as well as flash recorders. I'm a big fan of batteries, or rechargeable, but preferably both (like old minidisks). Sony was smart enough to put the ability to drag things on and off the minidisc on their latest model. They took away the option to use normal AA batteries. Stupid. Same thing with the R-09 now if the battery goes down, your sunk. I know you can but additional batteries and charge them. I always like the ability to run to CVS in a pinch. Also the minidisc has no built in mic (another "Only in a pinch feature). I ended up biting the bullet and going with the marantz 660. Batteries, built in mic, no software needed to transfer files, dual XLR inputs, and dual the price tag. Ouch

                    Dave Jackson
                    School of Podcasting
                    www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                    > am much happier with. The thing that bugged me most about the M-
                    > Audio was it's built-in battery which could be replaced only by
                    > paying M-Audio $75. Furthermore, that battery was continuously
                    > discharging, even when the unit was turned off. Also, the display
                    > was not always easy to read. In terms of sound quality, I had no
                    > complaints at all.

                    It's worth pointing out that the firmware upgrades solved the battery drain
                    problem. We have two Microtrack recorders at this point and neither has a
                    battery drain issue after upgrading to the latest firmware.

                    > I really love the Edirol R-09. Not only can I pop in my own
                    > rechargeable AA batteries but they also seem to have really good
                    > life. The display and navigation system is superior to that of the M-
                    > Audio, IMHO. Another big advantage is that the stereo mic is built
                    > into the unit. The M-Audio provides a separate little stem with two
                    > mics on it, which makes the unit less compact when the mics are
                    > plugged in and there is always the danger of losing the mics.

                    The big downside to both the Edirol R-1 and R-09 is connector types. Both
                    force you to use 1/8-inch mini-jack connections for external gear, which
                    generally means extra adapters (and potential points of noise and failure)
                    when using external microphones.

                    Jake Ludington

                    http://www.jakeludington.com

                    Start Podcasting
                    http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com

                  • Ryan Ozawa

                      I've had my R-09 for a day, so have barely put it through it's paces.
                      First, earliest impressions? Doesn't feel particularly sturdy versus the
                      R-1, but comparable versus the MicroTrack -- though I agree with David and
                      just about every other reviewer that the door mechanism is a problem just
                      waiting to happen. The fact that they had to print a special warning sheet
                      to include in the box explaining how to properly open it is a pretty bad
                      sign.

                      On the other hand, the sound is fantastic (haven't even tried an external
                      mic), the size is perfect, the interface is surprisingly sharp, and the
                      fact that it uses standard SD memory and standard AA batteries make me very
                      happy. I've been without a mobile recorder for almost half a year, and now
                      I'm itchy to find some places and people to record!

                      Ryan

                    • Douglas E. Welch
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 25, 2006
                        > On the other hand, the sound is fantastic (haven't even tried an external
                        > mic), the size is perfect, the interface is surprisingly sharp, and the
                        > fact that it uses standard SD memory and standard AA batteries make me very
                        > happy. I've been without a mobile recorder for almost half a year, and now
                        > I'm itchy to find some places and people to record!

                        I had an opportunity to use one of these from a friend and love it. I am
                        running a fundraising drive specifically to get one for myself to do ad hoc
                        interviews and such.

                        The case for the unit looks nice and might help to feel a bit more safe when
                        using it in the field.

                        Douglas

                        --
                        Check out my Friends in Tech!
                        http://friendsintech.com/

                          On 7/25/06, Douglas E. Welch <douglas@...> wrote:
                          > The case for the unit looks nice and might help to feel a bit more safe
                          > when using it in the field.

                          Good to know! Any leads from your friend on where to get the case? I know
                          there's a "Boss" case that carries the R-09 and a bunch of the accessories,
                          but I'm looking for something that functions more like a cell phone case,
                          just for the unit itself and allowing use of the unit without unsheathing
                          it.

                          It actually looks like a variety of existing cases would fit around it, but
                          something designed for it would be best.

                          Mahalo,

                          Ryan

                        • Douglas E. Welch
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 27, 2006
                            > Good to know! Any leads from your friend on where to get the case? I know
                            > there's a "Boss" case that carries the R-09 and a bunch of the accessories,
                            > but I'm looking for something that functions more like a cell phone case,
                            > just for the unit itself and allowing use of the unit without unsheathing
                            > it.
                            >
                            > It actually looks like a variety of existing cases would fit around it, but
                            > something designed for it would be best.

                            I thought I saw the case and stand listed as accessories on Amazon.com, but
                            can't seem to find it.

                            Froogle.com turns up this one though:

                            http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?client=safari&rls=en&q=edirol+r-09
                            +case&oe=UTF-8&lmode=online&oid=288482379327765096&ei=SyvJROHNL6HG0QLWp-GuBw
                            &sig2=Hy0npNlhGDKmOR0w7zd1cg

                            Tech Rag Tear Outs (TRTO) Podcast/Tech Tidbits Daily
                            Podcasting technology news when and where you want it ...
                            http://www.technewsradio.com/
                          • Ryan Ozawa

                              On 7/27/06, Douglas E. Welch <douglas@...> wrote:
                              > I thought I saw the case and stand listed as accessories on Amazon.com,
                              > but can't seem to find it.

                              Thanks, Douglas. I didn't know the case was part of the tripod stand kit.
                              Also found it at Sweetwater. Any little bit helps with a new piece of
                              technology! Now to find people to interview...

                              Ryan