OK... Mr. Eley... How about now?

  • Tony Marino
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hello Stephen!

      We recall about a week or two ago, you had some generous comments
      about the Podcast Media Services' web property. Our Level 3 boys and
      girls have been quite busy (as of late).

      What say you now?

      http://www.PodcastMediaServices.com

      Thank you much (in advance)!

      Tony
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
        On 7/6/06, Tony Marino <marinofactor@...> wrote:

        > What say you now?
        > http://www.PodcastMediaServices.com
        > Thank you much (in advance)!

        Heh. You invoke me by name? Very well. The pentagram is inscribed
        around me; I am summoned and bound.

        Honestly, this site is an improvement. It looks a lot slicker -- more
        Dreamweaver than Geocities. (Besides, purple is my favorite color.)

        Some of the inflated wording on your primary services listing has been
        toned down, which is better. I didn't save the old page, so I'm
        unable to do a point-by-point comparison, but in general I *felt* less
        marketbabbled by this version. The "raving fan" line is still silly,
        but I note that "Podcast empire!" is only used once. (Oh, and
        "literally," as in "literally crush your perceived competition,"
        doesn't mean what yout think it does. I hope.)

        The "Watch Podcast TV" frame, to display your podcast's video feed, is
        well-presented and highly accessible. Kudos. You need to bring your
        "Listen Podcast Radio" link up-to-date to match it, with an equally
        friendly audio player. Instead it still points to your old and ugly
        Weblogs.com page.

        (Speaking of which, an aside. If you guys are experts at podcast
        hosting, with your own 100% uptime infrastructure, why is your
        podcast's homepage still at "radio.weblogs.com/0144135/"? I know your
        audio files aren't hosted there any more, but that actually makes it
        goofier. You're trying to sell people Lamborghinis, but you're
        driving a 1974 AMC Gremlin to the pitch meeting.)

        I'm not going to comment on the content of your podcast. You didn't
        ask, and anyway, too much of podcast production is a matter of taste
        and aesthetic direction. I will say that from a technical standpoint,
        you execute the direction you've chosen very well.

        Of the 10 navigation tabs at top, 6 point to different anchors on the
        same page. And one of those has a dropdown menu where every item
        points to the *same* anchor. I would kill the useless dropdown, and
        consider using that page only as a summary page -- perhaps a "Products
        and Services" tab -- while your breakout areas point to their own
        pages with more detail.

        Have I mentioned that you have yet to provide any concrete detail
        about your production or hosting services? What you have is better
        worded, but it still doesn't tell me anything about *how* you do what
        you claim to do.

        Your "Case Studies" button...isn't. You provide a tutorial on
        podcasting with free tools -- which is excellent, BTW -- but misnamed.
        That probably ought to go under either "Free Resources" or its own
        button. All the other menu items point to the same page of white
        papers, of which 60% are actually written by you guys. A white paper
        is only a case study if it describes something you *actually did* for
        a *specific client*. What you have here is general advice and
        pitches. I don't see anything that describes anything you've done for
        a client.

        Speaking of which, I actually filled out your contact form to go and
        download those white papers. It's broken. I did get an e-mail back
        with an "exclusive" link to download the papers, but it took me back
        to the same public page, and I wasn't able to download a thing.
        That's a critical bug: if you're promising people that information in
        exchange for their contact information, you *HAVE* to fix that and
        give people the information.

        Everything else looks okay to me. It doesn't compel me any further to
        inquire about what you could do to help me "reach my maximized
        potential,"

        With that, my service to you is ended, and I flee your eldritch circle
        to return to my nether dimension.

        Oh, but one last bit of marketing advice: when you make an improvement
        to something -- a Web site, say -- it's much more positive and
        professional to post a message on the lines of, "Hey, everybody, we've
        improved our Web site! Please check it out and let us know what you
        think!" If you'd done that, I probably wouldn't have said a word
        except for some praise on the visual redesign and the one critical bug
        report. Calling out the one person who's *insulted* you time and
        again, and inviting *just him* to check out your site as a sort of
        challenge, is juvenile and peevish. It turns positive news into a
        pissing contest.

        Once upon a time, it would have astounded me that I'd have to point
        this out to an "award-winning Marketing Consultant." But the more
        experience I have with self-professed marketing experts (and man,
        there are a lot of them), the less I'm surprised by their talents of
        self-assessment.

        http://www.escapepod.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
          Oops. Looks like I inadvertently left a paragraph unfinished:

          On 7/6/06, Stephen Eley <sfeley@...> wrote:

          > Everything else looks okay to me. It doesn't compel me any further to
          > inquire about what you could do to help me "reach my maximized
          > potential,"

          This was meant to say: "It doesn't compel me any furhter to inquire
          about what you could do to help me 'reach my maximized potential,' but
          then I'm probably not your target audience."

          Those final syllables incanted, my link to your world is severed.
          Just in time for lunch! (Mmmm.... Soul food...)

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Joel Haasnoot
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
            Wow, I think someone just got some free consulting :)

            Joel

            --
            <=>< <=>< <=><
            Joel Haasnoot
            > Host of the TG^3 Review
            > Geek & Programmer

          • Dan Kuykendall
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
              Stephen Eley wrote:
              > Heh. You invoke me by name? Very well. The pentagram is inscribed
              > around me; I am summoned and bound.

              So this is all I needed to do to get a 2 page analysis of my website?

              --
              Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
              http://www.mightyseek.com

              In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
              Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

            • Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
                Dig it, the podcast and marketing consultant just asked for a consultation
                for free... and got it.

                Well, that's what we do here. We're a community. After all, look at all
                the free consultation Tony got from me last month! :-)

                --
                Matthew Wayne Selznick
                ++++++++++++++++++

                "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
                http://www.bravemenrun.com

                "Light of the Outsider - A Tale of the Shaper's World" Pre-order!
                http://www.lightoftheoutsider.com

                MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY endeavors:
                http://www.mwsmedia.com

              • Morning Brew Cast
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Count me in, too. We just revamped our site as well.

                  http://www.morningbrewcast.com

                  Our podcast is about drinking coffee, talking and having fun so
                  constructive & helpful advice on the site is much appreciated.

                  Thanks,
                  Jennifer Navarrete
                  Morning BrewCast
                  ³Grab your cup of brew and join the fun!²

                  From: Dan Kuykendall <dan@...>
                  Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:55:15 -0700
                  To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [podcasters] OK... Mr. Eley... How about now?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
                    Hello Stephen! (And of course, everyone!)

                    Thanks much for visiting and sending along your perceptions
                    and insights.

                    We just tested the "Case Studies" download page. All seems
                    to be working well. (Thus far, we have tracked over 700
                    downloads today.) I am not sure why you had issues... Hmm?

                    We are presently working on the 3rd Phase of Podcast Media
                    Services which will include and address many of your needs
                    as you described.

                    We are in the process of adding both "prospect and client
                    case studies", expanding departmental descriptions for the
                    audio and video podcast and streaming products and services
                    we offer, upcoming public speaking events and webinar
                    training, consulting seminars and client testimonials.

                    We hope to reach completion shortly. (Although, new elements
                    are added each day.

                    Again, we deeply appreciate and welcome your thoughts and
                    suggestions!

                    All the best,

                    Tony

                    Podcast Media Services

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
                      On 7/6/06, Tony Marino <marinofactor@...> wrote:

                      > We just tested the "Case Studies" download page. All seems
                      > to be working well. (Thus far, we have tracked over 700
                      > downloads today.) I am not sure why you had issues... Hmm?

                      Well, since you want to debug this in public...

                      I filled out the contact form, and got an immediate message back that
                      contained a link. (I won't repeat the link here, as I don't really
                      intend to break your business model. Anyone who wants to repeat this
                      test can fill out your contact form too.)

                      Clicking the link redirected to a static page on the
                      podcastmediaservices.com site.

                      On that page, clicking either of the first two "INSTANT DOWNLOAD NOW
                      CLICK HERE" buttons takes me back to the PodcastMediaServices.com home
                      page. These are the white papers you're listing from Arbitron and
                      from Frank N. Magid & Associates. It's as if the files just aren't
                      there in your /downloads/ directory, and so it's defaulting back to
                      home.

                      The last five buttons do seem to work. I can't remember if I tried
                      them before. But your first two are the ones visible on the screen
                      when it loads. They're the ones people are going to click on first,
                      and they're going to reach the same conclusion I did: the whole thing
                      is broken.

                      (Speaking of which, one more bit of free marketing advice: consider
                      listing the white papers that *you guys* wrote *first*. Unless of
                      course you're more proud of the third-party white papers than you are
                      of your own.) >8->

                      > We are presently working on the 3rd Phase of Podcast Media
                      > Services which will include and address many of your needs
                      > as you described.

                      That's great. I look forward to reading specific information about
                      what you've actually done for people.

                      Oh, and thanks for the voicemail this afternoon! It was very
                      pleasant, and I was happy to hear that my comments were helpful to
                      you. We creatures of the Infernal Abyss do take satisfaction from
                      adding value.

                      http://www.escapepod.org
                    • Tony Marino
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 13, 2006
                        Hello Stephen and all!

                        A few days ago, you inquired about "case studies" pertaining in
                        particular to podcast media. I told you we were in the process of
                        adding these features to our Podcast Media Services' site.

                        We are now amidst that case study with one of our most currently
                        recognized clients, New York Times' Best Selling Author, Judith
                        Wright.

                        Judith and her organization have been one of our valuable marketing
                        clients for about a year now. She is receiving acclaimed press (she
                        was featured on ABC's, 20/20 last Friday night) in part by the high
                        degree of online marketing guidance provided by our team at America
                        Web Works.

                        Watch Judith's 20/20 feature now:
                        http://www.JudithWrightLIVE.com/2020_video.htm

                        A ton of hard work and relentless diligence went into the entire
                        public relations' project.

                        We have just completed Judith's Audio/Video Podcast site and we are
                        just now preparing to bring her new online show live.

                        As we continue our way through her process, we will carefully
                        continue developing the details of this all-important Podcasting'
                        case study.

                        We will share the results at the Podcast Media Services' site as new
                        information is gathered, analyzed and reported.

                        Thanks again Steve for all your generous input! :-)

                        In the meantime...

                        Make it a great Thursday!

                        Tony

                        Podcast Media Services
                        http://www.PodcastMediaServices.com

                        America Web Works
                        http://www.AmericaWebWorks.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 13, 2006
                          On 7/13/06, Tony Marino <marinofactor@...> wrote:

                          > A few days ago, you inquired about "case studies" pertaining in
                          > particular to podcast media. I told you we were in the process of
                          > adding these features to our Podcast Media Services' site.
                          >
                          > We are now amidst that case study with one of our most currently
                          > recognized clients, New York Times' Best Selling Author, Judith
                          > Wright.

                          Okay... I think it's great that you have a client, but how are you
                          "amidst a case study?" A case study isn't the work you did for a
                          client; it's a document _describing_ the work you did for a client.
                          It is either written and available or it isn't. I'm not sure if
                          you're announcing an intent here to eventually write and post a case
                          study about Judith Wright, or if you just wanted to drop her name and
                          are equating "case study" with "Web link to 20/20 feature."

                          You do know this stuff about case studies, right? I'm not actually
                          presenting new vocabulary to you?

                          > We will share the results at the Podcast Media Services' site as new
                          > information is gathered, analyzed and reported.

                          Gather information about what? The work you performed? I sincerely
                          hope that's information you already have!

                          > In the meantime...
                          >
                          > Make it a great Thursday!

                          Oh, I will, thanks. I just finished uploading a great new science
                          fiction story for the 62nd consecutive Thursday. As is becoming
                          usual, I finished at 5:45 AM, and I'm going to go to bed now. That's
                          what makes it a great Thursday. >8->

                          http://www.escapepod.org
                        • John Havens
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 13, 2006
                            Hi Tony, Stephen, and all,

                            I wanted to point out that I'm also building a "Podcast Case Study"
                            portion of my site. I've not
                            got two corporate studies, two entrepreneur studies, and one musician
                            study. I welcome any
                            feedback and any recommendations for other companies/individuals/
                            bands who should be featured.

                            My point is to prove to people how people are already using
                            podcasting successfully to help
                            promote themselves or their business. I think one of the best ways
                            to get people to adopt
                            is to show them that other people (especially their competitors) are
                            already using podcasting
                            and making money. In this regard you can also check out the,
                            "Podcast Consultant" area to
                            read how Chip Hunnicutt is using podcasts to help his Real Estate
                            Clients. He uses audio
                            and enhanced podcasts to show/describe his latest properties and his
                            clients love the feature.

                            Here's the Podcast Case Study area:

                            http://podcasting.about.com/od/podcastcasestudies/

                            -By the way, special thanks to to Tim Gordon who works with Tony who
                            provided the two
                            entrepreneur case studies.

                            Best,
                            John C. Havens
                            About.com Guide to Podcasting

                          • Bob George
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
                              Morning Brew Cast wrote:
                              > Count me in, too. We just revamped our site as well.

                              "I INVOKE THEE IN THE NAME OF SATAN!"

                              "Oooh. Me too! Me too!"

                              Sorry, just struck me as funny. :)

                              - Bob